Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Best days to Bow hunt in NY >

Best days to Bow hunt in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Best days to Bow hunt in NY

Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Spike

Default Best days to Bow hunt in NY

I have 5 days of vaction to use during the NY bow season Oct17-Nov20. What are the best days to hunt according to the moon phases, and the forcasted rut?

I always hunt as often and as long as I can, but I want to plan ahead to increase my chances. Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Opening week in the SZ regular (gun) season would be your best bet for success if you haven't been able to scout and find a good spot for early bow.More deer,more hunters pushing them around and right in the heart of the rut.

Last edited by Bernie P.; 09-24-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Spike

Im looking to take time off for bow only in 6s. I have done alot of scouting, and have a few good spots. I have never paid attention to the moon phase or rut... if I had time I was in the woods. This year I want to take off some days that are supposed to have high deer activity.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always seem to have best luck Nov 7-20
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep hearing all these bowhunters talking about early November being the best time due to the rut, but I surely have seen way more deer early to mid October while I was out turkey hunting or bowhunting during the first week or so of the season. The deer are totally unspooked at this time compared to later in the season. I have even seen bucks still in their bachelor groups in October before the rut starts kicking in. Nothing like having several bucks coming at you all in a row! If one were allowed to gun hunt in October it would be a snap compared to the normal season where they have been harassed for a month or more already.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 with Steve863's comments.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ZEKE83
Im looking to take time off for bow only in 6s. I have done alot of scouting, and have a few good spots. I have never paid attention to the moon phase or rut... if I had time I was in the woods. This year I want to take off some days that are supposed to have high deer activity.
Zeke-this year the rutting moon(2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox) falls on Nov. 2nd. This is the moon the does estrous cycle is keyed off of. That bein said the 2-3 days prior to Nov. 2nd and the 5-9 days after will be when bucks are at there peak seeking phase and into the full out chase phase of the rut. There are factors that can effect how much of this you will see such as weather, high hunting pressure, etc. But all factors aside these are the days to hunt. For the past ten years i have taken my vacation time during the 2-3 days prior and 5-9 days after the rutting moon. (as i am this year). 5 of my 6 biggest bucks ever have come during these days. coincedence? i dont think so. BTW if you want to check out a great book about the moon and whitetails Charlie Alsheimers Hunting Whitetails by the Moon is a must read. It also has a chart in there of what date the rutting moon falls on up to like 2015 or so. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen deer at various times during the season. That's a tough call. For some reason, most are the first week of November has been lucky FOR ME. I love to take off the week after Halloween. My last 4 were 11-3, 11-4, 11-7 and 11-10. One never knows.....good luck!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! I think ill take some time off around the begining of Nov. I am going to start taking notes on deer activity, so I can have something to look back on to plan hunts.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nov 7-12

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.