Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pigs in PA?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Warren center has them do to escapes from the local gamefarm. As i said in scouting advice. You can see about ten at a time running together. Most locals dont want them and kill them as they feel fit.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
West virginia dnr says hogs there (which is more northern part of hog range) have 3 to 5 total piglets per year. Not the muliple litters and higher numbers of the south.

Wv treats their hogs in southern counties as a valued resource, and has been trying to allow its hog numbers to increase for some time now, but it isnt happening, even with limited hunting opportunities.

Black bear, coyote and bobcat all REALLY work on the piglets.
Thanks for the additional info. Nice to see the other side of the coin on the matter as PGC has had nothing but negative doomsday scenarios for us. Would be awesome to have a chance at an exciting new big game animal...esp one with couple hundred pounds of bacon and sausage on his back! Course the tree huggers we let take over our deer mgt ain't about to go for it!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Corny has a good point. WV has been very protective of the small area that holds its pigs yet the numbers have not exploded there.

It also makes sense that PA lacks the overgrown dense swamps of the deep south and would not provide the same kind of safe haven from our 900,000 hunters.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Let them come as long as we have liberal seasons just as the coyote. When the day comes I'll have my bow and beans ready. I am considering going on a pig hunt next spring at an island on the Susquehanna in Lancaster. They have ferral pigs goats and rams. I just want to bring some pork home, I believe it costs $350 for a good sized pig.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Let them come as long as we have liberal seasons just as the coyote. When the day comes I'll have my bow and beans ready. I am considering going on a pig hunt next spring at an island on the Susquehanna in Lancaster. They have ferral pigs goats and rams. I just want to bring some pork home, I believe it costs $350 for a good sized pig.
That's Mohr's island. You'll have a good time and yes, the hogs are great eating.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Those jokers are some FINE eatin'! If you ever see anyone say otherwise you tell them they are out of their flippin' gourd! lol. Better than any store bought pork. The loins are much "finer" grained and not "stringy" like store bought pork. They get EXTREMELY tender when roasted. Slits made in the loins, stuffed with several garlic clove halves, with carrots potatoes a few cups of water in a covered roasting pan, all sprinked with garlic salt... Cook a few hours on 325...Melts in your mouth.

I REALLY need to get back down to South Carolina or Georgia!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Are you talking about porch pigs or wild hogs?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You mean to say

the confederates snuck pigs in Pa, like they did coyotes, back in the 70's.

PIGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you folks know how to do bar-be-que.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Spike

Does this mean the PGC now owns these pigs and one has to pay them to hunt them?
We got an evasive species and they want to charge people to hunt them?
What would happen if war broke out? Would the PGC charge us to shoot the enemy also here in PA? I see a pig licensed or not I will shoot it.