Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season >

PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally i don't see the need for them for an able bodied hunters. Handicapped, children (16 and under) or senoirs are the only ones who should be afforded the oppurtunity to use them during archery season. If people want to use them in rifle season then be my friggin guest. Just my opinion.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
I WONDER...... if they even considered this idea: What if we had given xbow hunters THEIR OWN SPECIAL SEASON.....the week between archery and bear, when for no apparent reason () there is never any deer season. There would be plenty of big bucks still chasing does so they could experience some rut action, and the week long season could then have been evaluated aftre the first year or even two, harvests tallied versus license sales to calculate success rates....then considered for full inclusion. Would have made a whole lotta sense to this armchair biologist. As well as provided additional hunting opportunity. Anyone ever wonder why they close archery down just as the rut is usually approaching its peak, and nothing but small game until bear opens the following Monday? I'm betting that would have been a prime time for a trial crossbow season. (Or even ML! hee, hee....)
I agree that would have been a common sense approach.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
That is true and the result has been archers in some WMUs are now harvesting 50% of the buck harvest before the rut and before rifle season and the PGC doesn't give a rip and hasn't reduced archery season. So what are you worried about.

Are you referring to the same kind of intelligence they used to justify ARs in SRAs? Intelligence is not a PGC strong point.

Intelligence obviously isn't your strong point either!

Everyone can see that the WMU's with an archery harvest anywhere near what you claim are the SRA's where the crossbow is already allowed in all of bow season.

Thanks for pointing out numbers that show that concerns over the impact of the crossbow on the harvest are indeed valid.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for pointing out numbers that show that concerns over the impact of the crossbow on the harvest are indeed valid.
Wrong again. The PGC has expressed no concern over the fact that the archery harvest exceeded the rifle harvest in those WMUs. And BTW, those WMUs are not SRAs. They contain SRA areas but those WMUs are not SRA WMUs!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

HOLD ON HERE! i havent been keeping up with pa stuff cause my house is for sale and once it sells ill be moving to north east ky. i have read and read this thread and just want to make sure i am reading right.... they are having a meeting now after the books are printed and season is almost here is this right???? after people have went out and possibly bought crossbows cause of the new season. i read this and had to ask to make sure.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You definitely got it right and the decision will probably be based on the vote of the newest commissioner who said he was in favor of crossbows.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by forddeerslayer
HOLD ON HERE! i havent been keeping up with pa stuff cause my house is for sale and once it sells ill be moving to north east ky. i have read and read this thread and just want to make sure i am reading right.... they are having a meeting now after the books are printed and season is almost here is this right???? after people have went out and possibly bought crossbows cause of the new season. i read this and had to ask to make sure.

That is correct. Weaner, one of the new commisioners was concerned that the lame duck board members had done this against the majority of hunters and put out a proposal to keep crossbows to the first two weeks. It's a bandaid on a broken bone at best and doesnt look like it will fly but he did what he thought was right for PA's hunters. Something we could use more of.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pa Trophy Man
Personally i don't see the need for them for an able bodied hunters. Handicapped, children (16 and under) or senoirs are the only ones who should be afforded the oppurtunity to use them during archery season. If people want to use them in rifle season then be my friggin guest. Just my opinion.

Personaly i dont see the need for rifle season unless your a senior or under 16
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Wrong again. The PGC has expressed no concern over the fact that the archery harvest exceeded the rifle harvest in those WMUs. And BTW, those WMUs are not SRAs. They contain SRA areas but those WMUs are not SRA WMUs!

Wrong again yourself! You really should check your facts....or was this another deliberate flim flam? Crossbows have been legal throughout both the entire archery season and all deer season in ALL of 2B, 5C and 5D for years.

Comparing those WMU's to the rest of the state is also ridiculous. Even with the crossbow which HAS added to the harvest in those WMU's, the goal is still further reduction. The crossbow could well have an significant impact in other areas.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bowtruck
Personaly i dont see the need for rifle season unless your a senior or under 16

I know you're joking but that'd be OK with me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.