Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Do bobcats kill deer?  Here is the answer. >

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hun t them in PA and OH. I actually like hunting them more than any other animal. I can;t eat them thoguh. I always thought they only bred so many pups according t food source. If that source becomes worn they quit breeding. I also have never seen 'packs' have seen a family unit thoguh. Have killed the majority of my dogs in pairs or singles. Never seen more than that come to the call. However in my backyard I have 2 'packs' that when they start yodeling the other starts to answer them. It sure sounds like more than 2!! I have killed more in Feb/Jan/early March than other time of they year, sort of like rut they are looking to breed. I have killed more females than males which might e a statistic of note. The largest yote I have killed was a male 57 pounds and he is immortalized as a rug on my wall. I had his skull done and man his choppers are evil scary looking. I like hunting them they are smart, learn fast and it is tough to shoot them twice on the same calling set if you missed them before. I am the predator on them!!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think pa now allows n0.2 shot on coyotes, not sure of that.that is what i will use if legal.try my ladder stand idea.it really works great. i agree my best month is feb but its cold as h so i hunt only about 2 hrs and quit.my best times are 2 hrs before dark.
with snow you dont need any light,they stick out.thats why i use my BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA 28 INCH BARREL FULL CHOKE ON THEM..
Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DougE
I find deer hair in many piles of coyote scat as well.However,I've only ever found two deer that I'm sure were actually killed by coyotes.They no doubt kill adult deer I just don't know how much an effect they have.On a few occassions I've seen coyotes enter a field that deer were in and the deer didn't even pay them much attention unless they had fawns.If a pack of beagles can ran down a deer,a couple coyotes certainly can.I just don'y know how often they do.I don't if anbody truly does.
Here it is mostly the winter and spring months that have the biggest affect on the deer here. I used to have a pic of a group of deer from a deer yard they had killed. It was pretty much the entire yard that they had gotten. What had happened was they circled the deer and came in on them. The deer was yarded up by a river and ran out towards it. The river being frozen caused the biggest damage..This was only one example of what happens here in Maine though..

On the opisite side of the river a in N.B.Canada a trapper got what is felt to be the leader of that pack of coyotes.. It wieghed in at 78 lbs and was thought to be 80 percent timber wolf.. But none the less coyotes do some real damage here as well as bobcats. Bobcat damage is less of an impact though..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-25-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Here it is mostly the winter and spring months that have the biggest affect on the deer here. I used to have a pic of a group of deer from a deer yard they had killed. It was pretty much the entire yard that they had gotten. What had happened was they circled the deer and came in on them. The deer was yarded up by a river and ran out towards it. The river being frozen caused the biggest damage..This was only one example of what happens here in Maine though..

On the opisite side of the river a in N.B.Canada a trapper got what is felt to be the leader of that pask of coyotes.. It wieghed in at 78 lbs and was thought to be 80 percent timber wolf.. But none the less coyotes do some real damage here as well as bobcats. Bobcat damage is less of an impact though..
i remember that picture you put on of those dead deer killed,it was awful thing to see.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
Then I remembered why, In NH. & ME. you/they have much longer and harsher winters and can have 2-3 of snow into April and even May and the yotes just run on top of the snow without much effort meanwhile the deer they are chasing have to run thru it and tire out very quickly making them easy prey for the yotes Pike
I remember as a kid seeing 2 large mix breed dogs running wild around my dad's house. They would tear up my dad's turkey pen and kill every turkey they could. After a bad snow storm and then freezing rain the snow was knee deep with a hard crust. These 2 dogs chased a doe into our yard and took turns ripping into the deer's flanks every time it would turn around. The deer broke through the snow while the dogs could run on top. The deer's hind quarters were shredded and bleeding badly from the repeated bites. Both dogs fell to a 30-06. The doe then hopped off into the woods. We never found her so I would like to think we saved one deer that day and not sure how many others that winter.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Spike

Hi guys! I'm a newbie to this site, but have to offer my two cents to this subject.

As for the coyotes hunting in packs here in PA...I believe there may be some truth to that based on me and my family's experience with them where we live in Washington county. It is more common to hear multiple coyotes together than by themselves and have multiple coyotes on trail cameras and have never seen them by themselves on the cameras. One thing some of you dont understand is the coyotes in the east are somewhat different than the coyotes of the west. The game commision will vouch for that.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Spike

Now about the bobcats. We have way too many predators to compete against here in southwestern pa. It's not just the deer population that may be affected, but the small game as well. I dont see near the amount of rabbits i used. You can hardly find them in hunting season any more. The grouse are practically extinct. I havent seen one in years.

By the way, people are predators also put here by God just like the bobcat and coyote.

Here is a list of just a few predators that exist in my area. Hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcat, weasels and minks, and even cats. People constantly dropping off stray cats in the country. There never used to be any coyotes here at all and bobcats stayed in the mountains. now there are coyotes every where and bobcats are moving into the farmlands.