Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Do bobcats kill deer?  Here is the answer. >

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sits in trees
i have a hard time agreeing with this, because i'm a human and i would much rather kill the deer that bobcats and yotes are killing, if preditor numbers go to high i think you might be changing your opininion...
Well considering I have a large bobcat population and a huge yote population your line of thinking is wrong!!
Because my opinion has not changed that predators have just as much right to game animals as we do!! Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 08-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Nice pictures. Bobcats are cool. I like 'em. But I have to admit....since the deer population decline, I like 'em a little less than before. As for coyotes? Don't get me started.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem with a lot of deer hunters is that they seem to look at any wild animal killing a deer as one less for the hunter to kill. Predators come in all shapes and sizes. We seldom get a look first hand at a wild animal killing a deer. When we do, it's all about us.

Most hunters hate anything that kills our beautiful deer before we do.
If you want to kill a Bobcat because he's killing your deer or a coyote for the same reason, do it. Just don't tell me that you're taking that animal to help the deer.
You're killing it because now you no longer have the opportunity to kill that deer yourself.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

You're killing it because now you no longer have the opportunity to kill that deer yourself.
Golly gee. I feel so ashamed of myself.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
If you want to kill a Bobcat because he's killing your deer or a coyote for the same reason, do it. Just don't tell me that you're taking that animal to help the deer.
Well, I guess I cannot say that the thousands of $ I've spent on creating better habitat on the land I manage is for the deer on those properties...Now Can I? According to you ....No I am not allowed because I also hunt some of those deer, Right???
I manage the properties I hunt based off what I see happening on those properties. If I see an increase in predators I will do whatever I can (within the law) to reduce their numbers. I don't sit in subzero temperatures night after night during the winter hunting coyotes because I feel I have to kill something... I do it because #1 Yes I enjoy coyote hunting and also just as important to me reason #2 The more dead coyotes the more fawns will survive in the spring. There is a direct coerrelation between the reasons why I hunt predators. If they didn't prey on fawns I wouldn't hunt them as hard as I do. Maybe if you invested what I have into helping the deer in your area you would understand why hunting predators is necessary for acheiving a continued benefit for the deer herd being managed.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Bobcats and coyotes are all part of the balance of nature. Without natural population control it is up to man to decide how much and where to thin out animals. When an important part of the ecco system is missing there are long range ramifications. Great pictures of an efficient killer at work.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

4evrhtn, yotes and bobcats only acount for a small % of fawn mortality due to predidation in PA., Black Bears aacount for the majority of fawns killed.
Also it isnt possible to put a dent in a yote population thru legal hunting methods because the more that you kill the more pups will be born. Pike
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
4evrhtn, yotes and bobcats only acount for a small % of fawn mortality due to predidation in PA., Black Bears aacount for the majority of fawns killed.
Also it isnt possible to put a dent in a yote population thru legal hunting methods because the more that you kill the more pups will be born. Pike
I know bears kill more fawns as individuals , I am hunting them as well now but you can only take one per year. Coyotes are unlimited 365 days per year, That one bear I can shoot will not kill more fawns than the 15 or more yotes I may take throughout the year. It's a game of numbers. And the answer to the coyote population growth is not to do nothing. For every female I kill that is at least 5 less pups that year that she will produce. Lets say half the litter is female that would be 3.5 less female to breed equalling a minimum of 20 less coyotes by the time one year passes. Now take that 20 that weren't allowed to be born and figure 1/2 of them were female and times that 10 by 5 and so on. Shooting one female coyote will have a greater impact on predator numbers than allowing them to continue to reproduce unabated. Is it a losing battle? Maybe, but I do what I can by hunting and trapping/ cable restraining.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I know bears kill more fawns as individuals , I am hunting them as well now but you can only take one per year. Coyotes are unlimited 365 days per year, That one bear I can shoot will not kill more fawns than the 15 or more yotes I may take throughout the year. It's a game of numbers. And the answer to the coyote population growth is not to do nothing. For every female I kill that is at least 5 less pups that year that she will produce. Lets say half the litter is female that would be 3.5 less female to breed equalling a minimum of 20 less coyotes by the time one year passes. Now take that 20 that weren't allowed to be born and figure 1/2 of them were female and times that 10 by 5 and so on. Shooting one female coyote will have a greater impact on predator numbers than allowing them to continue to reproduce unabated. Is it a losing battle? Maybe, but I do what I can by hunting and trapping/ cable restraining.
What's your secret for killing 15 yotes a year?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Lots and lots of hours hunting in weather most people don't go out in. I also travel alot and hunt bordering states outside of this state, such as Ohio, where there are a hell of alot more yotes than we have in pa (for now). I also trap and now use cable restraints... 15 is not a high number. I know a guy who has killed as many as 52 in a year here in Pa. He works for a big name manufacturer of game calls now. No secret, just willing to do what most won't.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 08-25-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.