Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Chenango county ? >

Chenango county ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Chenango county ?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Chenango county ?

I been hunting delaware county for more then 40 years but this year I was asked to hunt in chenango county state game lands with a friend who needs help getting about in the woods(handicap)
I would like ask the guys that hunt this area mcDonough state forest i know there is tons of state game lands up there my buddie lives about 5 min: from there he has a permit to hunt from a mule or (quad 4 wheeler) I wonder how heavy is the pressur on state game lands up in this county
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friends have a camp in Chenango co. in North Pitcher.I'm not sure how far that is from the area you're talking about but the state land there gets hit pretty hard.On the other hand there are plenty of deer as well.From what I've seen they have good numbers of all critters-turkeys,grouse,etc also and the fishing's good to.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt stateland in Chenango County outside of S. Otselic along with my 38 acres. I never have any trouble finding deer anywhere I hunt up there. Pressure can get a little heavy on opening day, but after that the place is devoid of hunters. Of the deer I've taken in Chenango, all have been during mid-week while stillhunting, after everybody has left.

Turkeys are numerous to.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

area I am talking about is around McDonought state forest
green county Rt41 and Rt12 few min: give or take
Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
KPD
Spike

I hunt McDonough State Forest - like Bernie said, heavy pressure early in the season (bow and gun), but it drops off quick after the first week - good deer numbers, I usually see deer every time out

There's alot of access there, truck trails, snowmobile trails, finger lakes trail, etc. that should make it not too bad to help a handicapped hunter get in the woods -
Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

My father has a place in Chenago and i have been hunting there as well as my friends uncles place. GOOD deer numbers as far as i can see. Although some of the areas are a little on the thick side with Hemlocks but otherwise good deer denisity. Havent hunted State Land but plenty fairly large tracks to get it done.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Default also curious

i just purchased a plot surrounded by the game lands in Chenango cty, it has a 3 acre pond on it.... I have been asked by friends about duck hunting in the area,,,, does anyone have any info.....

thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Spike

Angry lonewolf5348

State lands in McDonough area are very heavily hunted. Not only do you have people pushing the woods non stop. You also have the non stop flow of "Road hunters" shooting from their vehicles and from the backs of pickups. And when drives are being put on you also have "Great White Hunters" standing beside their trucks in the road waiting to shoot deer as they get ready to cross the road.
SERRIOUSLYI wouldn't recommend hunting anywhere in the area and would love to see a few disguised DEC officers catching and confiscating everything these "GREAT WHITE HUNTERS" own and give them a good long stay where they receive 3 Hots and a Cot for a long time.
It has been my experience that these types of "Hunters are the ones giving this time of year a bad reputation and carelessly put others lives in Danger do to their greedy and stupidity.

Just my2 cents worth and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way either.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wolf Mint
State lands in McDonough area are very heavily hunted. Not only do you have people pushing the woods non stop. You also have the non stop flow of "Road hunters" shooting from their vehicles and from the backs of pickups. And when drives are being put on you also have "Great White Hunters" standing beside their trucks in the road waiting to shoot deer as they get ready to cross the road.
SERRIOUSLYI wouldn't recommend hunting anywhere in the area and would love to see a few disguised DEC officers catching and confiscating everything these "GREAT WHITE HUNTERS" own and give them a good long stay where they receive 3 Hots and a Cot for a long time.
It has been my experience that these types of "Hunters are the ones giving this time of year a bad reputation and carelessly put others lives in Danger do to their greedy and stupidity.

Just my2 cents worth and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way either.
Right On!!!! The SLOBS are all over during Gun Season down here in PA too. My Buddy is a PGC DCO and you would not believe some of the SH&% he tells me that these SLOBS do in the field !

Hatchet Jack