Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Greed wins in PA >

Greed wins in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Greed wins in PA

Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Score one for the majority!!!!

Looks to me like a wrong was righted. The former BOC ignored the public input that was heavily opposed to the xbow. The new BOC obviously agreed with the vast majority of hunters who cared enough to voice an opinion.

I don't particularly care for crossbows but I'm not really against em either. That is, I'm not against looking at letting them in once we are sure that it won't step on ANY existing group or season as it now stands.

BH1

You dont seem to have one good thing to say about PA hunting. I cant help but wonder why a guy who seems to hate PA can gets so upset over this when he can use a crossbow right at home and complains constantly about the hunting here anyway.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Looks to me like a wrong was righted. The former BOC ignored the public input that was heavily opposed to the xbow. The new BOC obviously agreed with the vast majority of hunters who cared enough to voice an opinion.

I don't particularly care for crossbows but I'm not really against em either. That is, I'm not against looking at letting them in once we are sure that it won't step on ANY existing group or season as it now stands.
Bt- how was a wrong righted? What’s wrong w/ giving more opportunities for hunters? Or is it you don’t want more hunters out hunting “your” rut? I thought the BOC and GC wasn’t to make decisions based on public opinions, thought it was more for science for the wildlife and better hunting opportunities for hunters. Or do we change our stance when it comes to more people hunting the rut? So for now on when new members come into the BOC do they need to take a revote on everything from the past year or should it be the last two years?

"I'm not against looking at letting them in once we are sure that it won't step on ANY existing group or season as it now stands."

That comment is nothing but greed. I hunt grouse so maybe I should fight to get rid of all bow hunting because bow hunters are stepping on “my” season. Give me a break

Let me guess some of you anti x-bow people would be okay if x-bows where allowed if it was only for doe hunting? It’s when you think that others will be out hunting “your” rutting bucks is when the problem steps in.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's got to suck if you ran out and bought a crossbow! I'd be pretty upset right now if I did!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Gotta agree with PaGobbler ! PGC doesn't get to pick n choose when public sentiment over rides their "policies" otherwise a whole lot of things would be changed.If that's the case,leave all these decisions up to a vote from everyone that buys a license.I personally don't have an opinion either way,but it sure seems a little selfish and twofaced for the regular archery guys to want the season all to themselves for "traditional" equipment.If that's case,they should all go back to recurves !
Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhhh, but it wasnt just public sentiment!. The staff reccommendation was either for more study before full inclusion of the crossbow or a more gradual introduction.

As for the BOC going against hunters before, once again, the majority was not and is not against the deer program. They have been loud but are still the minoroty in terms of percentage of all who voiced an opinion on the issue.

Solid science first, then do their best to go with public opinion within the science. Thats the way the deer program has been handled but the xbow vote went against both and this was a step towards correcting it.

It is a shame for those that spent the money on new equipmnet but according to the bow shops I've talked to, there was really no big sales yet. They were gearing up for big sales in September. And THAT just reinforces the concerns that some here have had about just who would gravitate toward crossbows.

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 07-10-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Ahhhh, but it wasnt just public sentiment!. The staff reccommendation was either for more study before full inclusion of the crossbow or a more gradual introduction.
What staff? I was pretty sure the only thing the staff said was for full inclusion to gauge impact on the herd. A slow inclusion would not get the correct data. If other recommendations were made please post them because I really haven’t followed it to closely. Also a negative impact has not been found in any other state. I understand PA is not other states but that’s why they need full inclusion for data.
I feel some, not all members of the BOC are acting like the legiscritters of our state. And its nothing more then greed and a scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours attitude
Old 07-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PA GOBBLER
What staff? I was pretty sure the only thing the staff said was for full inclusion to gauge impact on the herd. A slow inclusion would not get the correct data. If other recommendations were made please post them because I really haven’t followed it to closely. Also a negative impact has not been found in any other state. I understand PA is not other states but that’s why they need full inclusion for data.
I feel some, not all members of the BOC are acting like the legiscritters of our state. And its nothing more then greed and a scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours attitude

I don't have a link right now and dont have much time to seek it out. What I remember was that the staff said that they had no idea what the effect would be. That alone warrants caution which the previous BOC ignored.

I do agree that there has not been much proof of negative effects in other states. I also agree that PA is unique in many ways.

As I've said time and again, I'm not so much against the weapon even though I dont personally like em ( I own one so that comes from personal experience)

My concerns were a lack of good information about how PA would be affected and a concern about the percieved ease of the weapon attracting guys looking for a shortcut. We could definitely argue that one as a matter of opinion but we cant argue that the overwhelming public input was against it and the bulk of support was tied to the manufacturers
Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTB, have a lot ot say about PA hunting. Hunted in the state all my life! I am an American, I was a 40 year PA resident until the WPA economy tanked. Not saitisfied w/ the BOC or PAPGC and where they have gone the past 10-15 years, As U have stated some differences in opinion on management issues . I do not see anything from you guys about hunting on this forum, I see arguments, name calling and I guess greeed, elitism from you and your minions. Again, I took the game management in my area into my control as far as legally possible. We patrol our grounds, we plant the feed, we weed the garden so to speak to maintain a HEALTHY HERD. Of course you don't see that as you BB and Corny are banging away on DPSM and calling each other liars or worse. Again your personal attacks on anyone who doesn't agree w/ your thought processes. Go ahead, find one of you emoticons and the cute caption for me. (Those are actually cool, but another member here has you beat on those)Show me where the Xbow manufacturers were the main support for this????? Do they support a group of people who choose to hunt Xbows yes they do, but they don't vote and they don't pay taxes. Where is your manufacturers, don't they support your rights to hunt? Again in this, ingnorance abounds w/ statements like "easy way out", 'Solid Science' heck man where does that exisit anywhere in PA hunting history? Please don't go there. Guess I'll buy another dog and grouse hunt some more, maybe a beagle for bunnies. Oh that's right I shouldn't interfere w/ your Bow hunt..........Please! There you go, get your minions together and have the BOC throw out the small game hunters, that's your next crowd to attack for wanting to be in the woods w/ you.

Last edited by Buck Hunter 1; 07-10-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

"As for the BOC going against hunters before, once again, the majority was not and is not against the deer program."

They were and are. The HUGE majority does not support the program as is. The majority who wanted no part of the ridiculous extreme hr were ignored by the econuts running the show. Especially the extremists Pallone and Schleiden. The deer program is known among most as the biggest blunder in Pa game management history and has become a joke nationwide.

" They have been loud but are still the minoroty in terms of percentage of all who voiced an opinion on the issue."

Not even close. Pgc has acknowledged the huge lack of support for the extremes of hr, they counter by making very general generic statements that do not address the issues at all.

"Solid science first, then do their best to go with public opinion within the science."

Agree 100%.

"Thats the way the deer program has been handled"

Not even close. Its been a huge joke. It was based on opinions AFTER any reasonable science had been applied. There are absolutely no logical excuses for the EXTREMES pgc has gone to. Its been based on the VALUES of the minority of timbermen and econutcases at audubon etc. Thats a fact.

"but the xbow vote went against both and this was a step towards correcting it."

It was a screwed up circus from day one thanks to the handling of it by the biggest idiots to ever serve a term on the board of commissioners. They screwed everything up just as they have everything else they had been a part of since their appointments. If xbows were implemented, it should have been based on hunter popular opinion and input asked for on the issue. Not just another way Pallone and SChleiden could get more cash for pgc and kill more deer. If hunters wanted xbows, they should have gotten them if they didnt they shouldnt. That simple. But pgc screwed the whole deal as usual.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 07-10-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

BT- I think this last meeting it was more of a 50/50 thing from what I read, but I’ll agree that more hunters are against x-bows but I feel the main reason is pure greed. I am looking forward to seeing what you can dig up that the staff was against full inclusion. (I’m not having any luck finding anything)

BH1- isn’t it funny how a certain group feels like they should own the woods at certain times?

Corn08- you are right it is a circus but mainly from the BOC not including the new members, in a way I feel bad for them. They still got to deal w/ the scratch your back if you scratch mine crew. It would be nice if we could fire some of these clowns in the circus. Wasn’t that done before ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.