HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Whats wrong with the gamelands? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/296748-whats-wrong-gamelands.html)

BTBowhunter 07-07-2009 06:59 PM

RE: Whats wrong with the gamelands? allocations fr

RSB, youre unreal. lol.

The deer herd was raped. There are FAR fewer doe. Far fewer doe have far fewer fawns. Far fewer doe + far fewer fawns= far fewer tags needed to continue reduction.;)

....And that concluded the lesson for today.
Sorry Corny but you and the bird get an Ftoday. Extra homework tonight for you! Go back and read RSB's post again and tell us how the PGC caused thedeer herd to crash in 2Gwith far less tags. Oh and for extra credit, maybe you'd like to explain how less tags caused such a high doe kill in an area where the study showed that less than 15% of the legal doein that study in 2G died at the hands of hunters.

BTBowhunter 07-07-2009 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

These little guys were at my pond yesterday.

Fantastic pic Jim!!!:D

crokit 07-07-2009 08:02 PM

That IS a nice picture! Reminds me of something I've been meaning to bring up. I do alot of dryfly fishing and have been from one end of Pa-central,north central- to the other and Ny/Pa border, from Wellsville to Monticello since early spring. I believe this year I have seen more doe with single fawns than I can ever recollect. Anyone else?

After giving second look, looks like maybe another fawn just to right of the doe. At any rate, question still stands;)

bluebird2 07-08-2009 04:01 AM

I believe this year I have seen more doe with single fawns than I can ever recollect. Anyone else?
Due to HR ,the average age of our doe herd has decreased and younger doe have fewer twin. The PGC data also shows breeding rates and productivity have decreased instead of increasing as was predicted.

DougE 07-08-2009 04:42 AM

And earlier you you claiming that this was do to the health of the herd declining.Which is it spin meister?

By the way,post some data that the average age of the does have declined.The percentage of the harvest that is made up of fawns hasn't changed.

BTBowhunter 07-08-2009 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I believe this year I have seen more doe with single fawns than I can ever recollect. Anyone else?
Due to HR ,the average age of our doe herd has decreased and younger doe have fewer twin. The PGC data also shows breeding rates and productivity have decreased instead of increasing as was predicted.
OK what's the next thing you're gonnablame HR for? Global warming? The recession? I cant wait!!!

bluebird2 07-08-2009 06:55 AM

And earlier you you claiming that this was do to the health of the herd declining.Which is it spin meister?
It is both my good man and if if you understood the criteria for determining herd health it would be obvious to even you. Herd health is the measure of the productivity of adult doe . When you reduce the average age of the adult doe herd you reduce productivity and as a result herd health declines instead of increasing

While the percentage of fawns in the harvest remained stable , the number of adult doe that were harvested increased significantly from 2000 to 2005..

bawanajim 07-08-2009 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: crokit

That IS a nice picture! Reminds me of something I've been meaning to bring up. I do alot of dryfly fishing and have been from one end of Pa-central,north central- to the other and Ny/Pa border, from Wellsville to Monticello since early spring. I believe this year I have seen more doe with single fawns than I can ever recollect. Anyone else?

After giving second look, looks like maybe another fawn just to right of the doe. At any rate, question still stands;)
She has twins as do most of my deer. I work year around doing habitat work.Food and cover are the keys to having deer. Here in the snow belt its nothing to get over 100 inches of snow, our deer need plenty of food. I have two acres of clover that the deer pound year around, and maple tops cut through out the winter insure a healthy herd.

I have other pictures that show both fawns but I took them off hand so the clarity is not good.[&:]

blkpowder 07-08-2009 07:31 AM

That is a very nice photo Jim! :)[/align]

bowtruck 07-09-2009 03:18 PM

three repeats

bluebird2 07-10-2009 04:26 AM

tell us how the PGC caused thedeer herd to crash in 2Gwith far less tags. Oh and for extra credit, maybe you'd like to explain how less tags caused such a high doe kill in an area where the study showed that less than 15% of the legal doein that study in 2G died at the hands of hunters.
In 2003 52K tags produced a harvest of 4.93 doe PSM which exceed recruitment and reduced the OWDD. In 2005 it only required 19,000 antlerless tags to produce a doe harvest of only 1.5 doe PSM which kept the herd stable. So, it is obvious that once the herd is reduced it takes a lot fewer tags to produce a harvest that equals the number of fawns recruitment by a reduced number of OW doe.

If no deer were harvested in 2003 and 2004 the OWDD would have increased buy over 12 DPSM, so it is obvious that the herd did not crash due to natural causes, but due to harvests that exceeded recruitment.

cardeeer 07-10-2009 06:29 AM

Just got back after 2 weeks at my huntin land. And you guys still asking the same questions. And the answer is still the same. If you think there aint enough deer ?? 2+2=4, STILL. Shoot less and plant FOOD to support the increased herd you want.
My count is still around 65 to 70 and seen 23 different buck. Most the time I never left the cabin or truck Tons of turkeys with young, To many yotes yet. 2 bear and lots of copperheads while mowing. And all on only 105 acres. The foodplots look great and the animals are eating about 800 lbs of deer pellets a month. Hunters shoot deer not the PGC laws. Unless things change I only plan on taking 1 buck and 1 doe this year. Both my neighbors hunt , but feel the way I do. They feed and are not hogs.

SteveBNy 07-10-2009 06:40 AM

And you guys still asking the same questions. And the answer is still the same.
Sums up several years and 1000's of posts in the NE forum.
At least 1/2 the threads on the 1st page.
Same stuff over and over endlessly.
Some need a new life - and I don't mean more new screen names.