Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 anyone putting in food plots this year? >

anyone putting in food plots this year?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone putting in food plots this year?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default anyone putting in food plots this year?

Anyone putting in food plots this year, more specifically any central NYers? My family is going to put in food plots for the first time this year so i was wondering if you guys had any tips or recommendations. think we are going to put in one larger feeding plot and a handful of smaller "hunting plots"
Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: anyone putting in food plots this year?

I plowed an old plot under Saturday and got another two acres roto tilled. My winter wheat was slow coming back but its looking better.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turned over a new plot in a sunny spot in te woods and limed it two weeks ago. That'll be a fall planting. Gonna roundup a plot this week and plant that in ladino clover in a few weeks.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Although i do nothunt over my plots, i plant them every year. Last year i planted corn and soybeans. You can't beat these for cold weather food. Plant clover for early season.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

bawanajim - what are you putting in the two acres you roto-tilled? since its two acres I'm assuming you used some kind of pull behind roto-tiller right?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

How big of a spot did you clear in the woods? I have my heart set on this one little clearing i have back in the woods I'd love to plant. I was thinking about using some type of no-till seed because i don't have any equipment I could get back there. What are you planning on planting? how much lime did you put down, i heard as a general rule soil in the woods is more acidic because of the trees. haha sorry for all the questions but I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff

mlo - that's an awesome picture! how big of a field is that? I've read that if you plant corn and soybeans it has to be fairly big or they will eat it down to nothing before it is able to mature. Do you plant a special food plot mix or do you just use regular agricultural seed? haha again sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate it
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

bawanajim - what are you putting in the two acres you roto-tilled? since its two acres I'm assuming you used some kind of pull behind roto-tiller right?
I am going to plant corn in one area and the other area is my garden.
I have a five foot tiller on the back of a 27 hp kabota tractor.

I only plow if necessary, after a couple back surgery's I don't like the rough ride of big dead furrows.[:@]

So basically I'll have corn , wheat, clover and my garden in a six acre plot.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off, I'm no expert at this but I've been dabbling a bit and learning as I go.

I probably have 1/3 of an acre in the woods that I'm planting between a gasline, a skid trail and a small clearing. Also got another 1/3 acre corner of a field. The woods stuffall has been leaf covered for awhile so I put down 800 lbs of ag lime. Messy stuff but way cheaper than the pelletized. Checked ph with a cheapo meter but not sure I trust it. It said around 6.5. A buddy says the 800 lbs I put down will be a big help.

I'll put clover and chicory on the more moist areas this springand wheat, turnips,winter oatsout in the early fall. Pretty new at this myself and still learning by trial anderror. Also getting bits and pieces from friends that havve learned the same way and are a year or two ahead of me.

Our lease in Illinois will be donewith a bit moreknowledge.The farmer has graciously provided time and equipment and we provide the seed and spray.We're putting in 24 acres in alfalfa in one big field. About8-10 acres of soybeans in 4 small plotsand winter wheat, winter oats and turnips along the field edges here and there.

We have one 1/2 acre plot we did last year in ladino clover in the woods that worked out well and have three more spots scoped out for this spring. Clover can do OK with 3-4 hours of sun per day

We're going to try Imperial Whitetail secret spot, chicmagnet and no plow mixes for our small plots this year.

If you dont have equipment, stay with the no till or no plow mixes that have coatings on the seeds to help with ph and germination. You can get by with a rake and some elbow grease with those.

Sportsmans guide, www.sportsmensguide.com has several good Imperial whitetail seed mixes on sale right now. I figured it might be last years seed but some of the stufff I bought had to be back ordered and was brand new from the factory when I got it.

Got another idea I'm gonna try in the woods. I've learned froma deer control hunting program in suburbia that deer love hostas and that hosta does well in shade. They eat em right down to the ground in the fall on this one place I hunt.
I have access to a bunch of free hosta plants (mom) and am going to try starting a few patches in the woods.

The limited success I've had with small plots in the woods is that it helps steer the deer closer as they pass through but it's not likely to draw a lot in if they arent traveling through anyway. Smallclearing plots in staging areas are VERY effective for evening bowhunts so long as you dont pressure them too much.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

bawanajim - that 27 HP tractor pull that tiller pretty easy? My girlfriend's father has a compact ford tractor that is like 22 HP and I know someone with a tiller but I wasn't sure if it would be too much on it. do you use a drill or corn planter when you seed the fields or do you broadcast? I know corn has to be seeded a lot deeper than clover. I think it would be nice to put in a strip of corn but I don't think i'll have access to a planter, I was wondering if I could just broadcast it and then disc it in or something
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

6 - 1 acre plots with 4 - 200lb feeders,12 protein blocks and 120 lbs of molasses buckets

Quick Reply: anyone putting in food plots this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.