Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pennsylvania deer kills drop >

Pennsylvania deer kills drop

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pennsylvania deer kills drop

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default RE: Pennsylvania deer kills drop

Something else of interest that is an important piece of the puzzle as well, is that 8 of those 12 wmus have had herds with declining trends from 2004 to 2007 with net losses of deer in that time frame. (illustrated on page 18 of the 07/08 annual report in deer density change chart).

I think that important since most of our reduction occurred prior to that.Even though we are now supposed to be in stabilization mode, some areas could be getting herd growth, otherscould be seeing decline. A herd that had grown above habitat capacity during the last data collectionperiod could concievably account for declines in breeding rates, at least the very latest of them. Though unlikely to occur in such a short time frame considering all the reduction we had previously accomplished...Anyway, Thats why I checked into and what I found was;

From 2004 to 2007 8 of the 12 wmus that showed embryo count declinehad their deer herdsfurther reduced during that time, not increased. And in that same time frame, Of the total 22 wmus, 14 hadalso had herdsreduced. Soherd increasewas not the case.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if the weather condtions could have been a major factor in allthis. i think i will look back seems we had
a warm fall for a year or two dry condtions a couple years ago . 3 or 4 years ago a foot and a half of snow in april
could have started with that i dont know maybe tomrow as for now it is bedtime
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

In my opinion weather could play a role if itd been a year or two. but the adult doe pregnancy rate declined since 2003. And the embryo count has seen near steady decline since 2002.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

&%$#@# double posts!!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weather does not have a significant effect on breeding rates on the number of embryos a doe is carrying between Feb. and April when the road killed does are checked. Weather conditions may have an effect on fawn survaival in the spring, but it has little if any effect on breeding rates.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Good point. Bb. I dont think it would effect pregnancy rates that much since it wouldnt effect the actual breeding.

But Id imagine an odd year with overly drygrowing season followinga harsh winter couldlead toa few less fetuses produced though.

Certainly not the norm, and certainly wouldnt come close toexplaining our trends however imho.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

I wonder if the weather condtions could have been a major factor in allthis. i think i will look back seems we had
a warm fall for a year or two dry condtions a couple years ago . 3 or 4 years ago a foot and a half of snow in april
Good thought Bowtruck but the WMU's that Corny listed vary from the one with the coldest spot in PA to some of the mildest weather areas.

As I understand it, severe weather can cause either low birth weights but in the extreme, the can cause a doe to abort one or both fawns. But still, the WMU's that showed a decline are all over the charts weather and habitat wise

The best theory I've heard here is a younger average age among the does sampled. That, if true could be attributed to HR butshould also be expected to level off and then increase slightly as the herd stablizes.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

RSB, do you have more information than is in the report that could shed some light on the decline in some WMU's of the breeding / embryo/reproductive health rates?

PS: did you nail the bad guys in court?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

Good thought Bowtruck but the WMU's that Corny listed vary from the one with the coldest spot in PA to some of the mildest weather areas.

As I understand it, severe weather can cause either low birth weights but in the extreme, the can cause a doe to abort one or both fawns. But still, the WMU's that showed a decline are all over the charts weather and habitat wise

The best theory I've heard here is a younger average age among the does sampled. That, if true could be attributed to HR butshould also be expected to level off and then increase slightly as the herd stablizes.
LOL, you must be speaking of Bradford. If you are a Weather Channel junkie, like me, you know that it is also at any given time the coldest spot in the lower 48! LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i was remembering a extrem warm year a couple years back out in bow season thought maybe that affected
energy buck movment and such
It does seem a younger age make abit more sence thou