Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mentored youth?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mentored youth?

Sproul:
Glad to see your back and everything is good but im gonna have to give ya an azz-rippin,,,I think your take on kids and hunting season is wayyyyyyy off based and mostly due to unintelligent information floating around the local VFW biased by alcohol and lack of deer sightings,,,kids are not to blame and every hunter with a kid is not out to kill every button buck they see and tag it with a jr. tag. I was just in Lock Haven a couple weeks ago (during hbg. show week) and i talked to a bunch of "Ole Farts" in the area and they praised me for allowing my son to take a day off school to hang out with the ole man doing hunting related things,,,they feel that the integrity of hunting is in our youths hands at this point,,,and i agree totally,,,but my point is that i was really watching and listening to get a take on what the local" home boys" were thinking and im glad to say that your in the minority with your take on youth hunters
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

: rem700man

i really dont want to go into it because too many get offended.

yes, YOU ARE RIGHT.

if you have good thing going,like you can drive deer and dont have to count points, just shoot ,YOU ARE RIGHT, I AM IN MINORITY.

or dont have to buy a tag and still get 1 ,2 or 3 extra deer.

do you really think thoselittle kids are getting those doe/BIG BUCKS .

here is what one said,HONEY WHAT DID YOU SHOOT THAT BIG BUCK WITH.

she said, MY DAD SAID TO TELL YOU I USED A WEE -O-8.

REM ,next trip hunting, not being smart, let me know how many kids you see in woods vrs how many bucks are in paper and what you here of doe killed..

only time i see kid is in crew or riding roads with dad with gun between his legs.

I DONT SEE 1 MENTOURED kid with dad carrying gun with little kid with him, not 1.

yet i see and here of deer killed.

as paul harvey said, GOOD DAY!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

to many adults abuse the mentoured seasons
Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Too many adults, not reaching mental maturity. Keeping your humor is a lot different, than never growing up and being responsible for your actions.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

both of you are right.

no need for 6 year old ,8 year old to kill yet.

this should be learning time.

in fact, adult should spend all time with kid just showing,not trying to kill something.

when they get 12,then they will be ready, buying license,getting hopefully their own deer.

i will not talk about this as it offends ones that are playing by rules and also ones that are not.

but i can tell you.
i dont see any kids that age in woods ,yet i see and hear of the deer they get.

i saw couple last year in truck getting warm while father SHOT a spike buck and called kid on radio.

i have witness that saw it and passed on buck.

you know what father said,MY SON SHOT THIS SPIKE AND WENT TO TRUCK TO GET ROPE.

LIAR, LIAR,TAIL ON FIRE

Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM

I can see by these threads that I am not the only one who thinks hunting in PA has gone down the toilet. Am I surprised? Not at all from the talks I have with other hunters I come across. I have 2 children of age who won't be hunting this year along with me. The last couple years has been a total failure of hunts. To see couple deer and no shots is unreal. My kids got discouraged last year and we called it quits till an improvement is done. They lost total interest in hunting, Is it my fault,Not a chance.I only have so much time to hunt with them cause of school and my job. I will not encourage anyone to mentor hunting or get children involved here in PA. I do encourage target practice to keep our second ammendment alive. Hunting here in PA is going to kill and put a hurting on our 2nd ammendment because of boredom. This will happen because I will not buy a gun because I will not hunt any more mentallity is what is going to happen. I bond with my children when we fish,Atleast we catch something and it is usually quite warm out and are able to do on sundays and don't need permission to fish lakes or stocked waters here in PA. Hunting has become a joke here and one more thing, When I hunted,it was for the meat and not the unchristian disrespect of an animal to bag a trophy as many do today and do not give a blessing.My writting skills are not up to par nor do I use a word perfect as alot do on here. But my christian ways has shown me that trophy hunting for a particulai size animal is dis respectful and should be ashamed of your selfs.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I have heard it all,even God hates us buck hunters.

[&:]bird and God on the same team ,who'd a thunk it.

I will certainly look forward to your future postings, right now your at one in a row.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

last part i disagree with your view, but respect you view too.

i only hunt bucks because ITS CHALLENGE for me.to easy even with doe that are left for me to have CHALLENGE..

it also lets doe go to have fawn next year and help a kid see a deer.

but, I AM IN MINORITY .

you talked about MEAT , you are right, MOST are after meat.

even the ones that are TROPHY HUNTING for buck, most will make sure they got freezer full of doe meat BEFORE they go after the buck.

but if not for us BUCK hunters, my gosh, there would not be a doe alive in our area.

there are 9 of us that do our part and dont kill a doe.

even tho i dont like those NEW JERSEY hunters that try to chase me out of my area,THEY DONT KILL A DOE HERE IN AREA I HUNT.

so, i tolerate them with all there 300 dollar treestands that they leave up all year 75 yds around me.

it like our bass club, we get smarty pants remarks that we are HOOKING all bass.

well, we do not kill one bass,we release everyone NO MATTER HOW BIG.

if we kept the bass, IT WOULD TURN INTO JUST LIKE OUR HR DOE KILLING IN WMU2G.

i hold the state record on local lake here for biggest bass in that lake on record.

it was 8.1 pds.

i released that bass back in lake so kid will have chance to catch her and hopefully release her.

my brothers son was out 3 hrs this year,first day of deer.

he ruined his dads hunt, moaned the whole time because he did not see a deer and was cold.

thats it, you wont see him in woods again.

i dont see 1 kid under 12 with his dad in woods.

i know of about 15 i saw hunting over 12, 80% were learning to road hunt, others were in crew.

yet, we trained 50 kids to hunt, lots of girls,WHERE ARE THESE GIRLS IN WOODS?

i saw 2 girls, thats it.

35 are missing.

all that money for licenses and they dont hunt.

were they really going to hunt

as paul HARVEY SAID, GOOD DAY!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive had that feeling all along....

ive always said that even long before the mentored youth program, if a kid can take the hunter safety course and pass it, they should be allowed to hunt, buy a license and everything.

that way they do get some background info, safety, right, wrong, that sorta thing...and it would kinda cut off some of the ones that maybe arent mature and old enough...if you cant comprehend the course and pass the test, then i dont want you in the woods with me period. the course and test was pretty much simple to me at 11...but i guess i was born and raised around guns and shooting and in the woods and that sorta thing...i was able to ID a bent shotgun barrel in the class that many adults and others looked at and didn't notice...but if you cant pass the course, i say no hunting. if you can, buy a license and go hunting.

the program has great intentions...and they will argue the course isnt needed because they dont carry the firearm, and the adult has to be within an arms reach and all that sorta thing...but i think it would be a better way to go about it..

i know personally i would had no trouble hunting at 5 or 6. i was squirrel hunting with dad when i was 4..running coonhounds not long after that...didnt get to shoot...but by 5 or 6 i was ready IMO...i was reeling in fish in diapers and walking in the woods with dad since i could...i remember bawling when i was 4 or so coz dad was going to hang a tree stand and wasnt going to take me...some kids are ready at different ages...theres alot of teenagers that should never have access to a firearm too....i think the saftey course would kinda weed out some that arent ready and dont understand...

we need to keep the passion of the outdoors in our youth...no doubt about it...but it seems the program wasnt very well thought out..seems "thrown together"...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

ive had that feeling all along....

ive always said that even long before the mentored youth program, if a kid can take the hunter safety course and pass it, they should be allowed to hunt, buy a license and everything.

that way they do get some background info, safety, right, wrong, that sorta thing...and it would kinda cut off some of the ones that maybe arent mature and old enough...if you cant comprehend the course and pass the test, then i dont want you in the woods with me period. the course and test was pretty much simple to me at 11...but i guess i was born and raised around guns and shooting and in the woods and that sorta thing...i was able to ID a bent shotgun barrel in the class that many adults and others looked at and didn't notice...but if you cant pass the course, i say no hunting. if you can, buy a license and go hunting.

the program has great intentions...and they will argue the course isnt needed because they dont carry the firearm, and the adult has to be within an arms reach and all that sorta thing...but i think it would be a better way to go about it..

i know personally i would had no trouble hunting at 5 or 6. i was squirrel hunting with dad when i was 4..running coonhounds not long after that...didnt get to shoot...but by 5 or 6 i was ready IMO...i was reeling in fish in diapers and walking in the woods with dad since i could...i remember bawling when i was 4 or so coz dad was going to hang a tree stand and wasnt going to take me...some kids are ready at different ages...theres alot of teenagers that should never have access to a firearm too....i think the saftey course would kinda weed out some that arent ready and dont understand...

we need to keep the passion of the outdoors in our youth...no doubt about it...but it seems the program wasnt very well thought out..seems "thrown together"...
MAUSER, YOU ARE RIGHT
no mentoured youth program is going to make hunters,LIKE WE WERE OUT OF KIDS TODAY.

WITHOUT LOTS OF GAME TO HUNT, NO WAY ITS GOING TO WORK.

no way.

Quick Reply: Mentored youth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.