Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 crossbows will bring new blood! >

crossbows will bring new blood!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows will bring new blood!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default crossbows will bring new blood!

Crossbows will bring New Blood! [/align][hr]

despite what the anti x-bow guy's say i truly believe x-bows will bring new blood to the sport of hunting.

here is my theory, we wanna get young people into our sport of hunting, and i say many simply can't do it do to the demands on young people today. Example, my son who is 19 years old goes to college and works a part time job just like most of the younger folks out there today, he rarely has a day off between jod, studies, and of course girls? this leaves him little time to do anything more than grab a rifle and head into the woods for a few golden moments during gun hunting season!

he and most other young people his age could never find the time to become deadly with a compound bow, never mind the expense of buying a bow and all the goodies that go with it. he has recently remarked to me that if x-bows are legalized i would be able to hunt during bow season!

now answer me this, isnt this the very group of people we wanna get into our sport to help it grow and continue for future generations!! young people with EDUCATIONS?????

most college bound people graduate from high school and spend 4 or 6 or even more years of their lives so busy between school and studies and trying to build a life they just don't have the time, then what comes next! yea relationships with the opposite sex and career. this stage of life leaves most young people little chance to get into bow hunting. my very own situation exactly!!! i didnt really get into bowhunting until my late 20s...and i'm sure if many of you look back it was probably the same thing with most of you..
do we really want to let this percentage of our population never to have the opportunity to get hooked into our sport??

the funny thing is many of us sit around and ponder why so many people just dont hunt anymore? and if you take notice most well educated career people (doctors, lawyers, cpa's etc) don't hunt. hunting is and has always been a blue collar working mans tradition and sport, which could be a the reason we are becoming extinct. its as plain as the nose on your face.

if there is a viable weapon out there that will get maybe even a small percentage of todays young people out into the woods shouldnt we do it!

"just my opinion", "my 2 cents", "IMO", "not trying to offend anyone", "not trying stir the pot here but" lets see did i cover all of them? [/align]
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbows will bring new blood!

I seriously doubt either time or cost has anything to do with them not getting involved with hunting.There's a whole different mind set among young folks these days as regards hunting,fishing,or just spending time involved with any outdoor pursuit.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sits in trees
"just my opinion", "my 2 cents", "IMO", "not trying to offend anyone", "not trying stir the pot here but" lets see did i cover all of them?
[/align]
This is also my just my opinion.This is why I didn't care for Russ Schleiden constantly using the claim: Crossbows will bring in new hunters!That can be said of any weapon. It is what we do to inspire a youth or any individual, that will heighten their interest for the outdoors. I started my daughter at age 8, taking her along on my scouting trips.I also introduced her to guns at that age. We started with pellet rifle and as she grew,it went to shotgun and centerfire rifles.Even though my daughter never has hunted(her choice),she fully understands why I do and the necessity of hunting.She will defend my position on hunting,with anybody! She also continues to accompany me on deer and turkey scouting trips. If she had taken up hunting,I know it was because of the time I spent sharing the outdoors with her. Not because of what weapon we are allowed to hunt with. Let us get the youths in the outdoors first. Then let them decide whatgame animalsthey want to hunt and how they want to harvest them.[/align]
Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

There might be some new people, But as soon as they see how much a quality x-bow cost it might discourage them. I Dont hunt anywhere depending on the type weapon aloud. I hunt where the deer pop is high. Newbies or youth want some action not empty promises
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a good quality crossbow is going to set you back some serious money, but have you taken a close look at how much a new quality centerfire rifle and scope is going to set you back? I understand that it is much easier to pick up a nice clean used CF rifle/scope combo than a good used crossbow, but we gotta compare apples to apples here.......New to new.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sit in tree's. I don't agree with this concept at all. First you can get a new bowhunter into a bow package for under $300 now. ex. the PSE Nova. A crossbow package is significantly more $. Also I believe what your saying is a young adult can hunt easier with a crossbow becasue in concept it takes less practice to use? If so Ipersonally don't think teaching our children less practice with any weapon is better for them. Last of all I think its our own faults for not getting out kids out in the woods with us at younger ages. We let them sit in front of the tv playing video games instead.
I personally started both my boys on bows at the age of 3. Yes the age of 3. I bought each one of those toy plastic bows with suction cupped arrows. I let them go out back with me in the woods carrying them. I moved them up to a fred bear wheeled bow, then a Golden Eagle little brave bows. My kids know how to shoot instinctive. My oldest is now 17, and he has his own adult compound. My youngest turned 14 last year, and he uses a youth bow, but this season he too will be into a adult sized compound. Both my bows go with whenever they can, and love bowhunting as much as I do. They go inbetween school sports, and girls. So I say its up to us parents to get our kids interested in hunting at a young age.
I don't know what you have against archery hunters, but everything you write you seem to think crossbows are the answer to everything. If you're so willing to push for crossbows to get out into the archery woods, why don't you put that same effort into a bow?
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Sit in tree's. I don't agree with this concept at all. First you can get a new bowhunter into a bow package for under $300 now. ex. the PSE Nova. A crossbow package is significantly more $. Also I believe what your saying is a young adult can hunt easier with a crossbow becasue in concept it takes less practice to use? If so Ipersonally don't think teaching our children less practice with any weapon is better for them. Last of all I think its our own faults for not getting out kids out in the woods with us at younger ages. We let them sit in front of the tv playing video games instead.
I personally started both my boys on bows at the age of 3. Yes the age of 3. I bought each one of those toy plastic bows with suction cupped arrows. I let them go out back with me in the woods carrying them. I moved them up to a fred bear wheeled bow, then a Golden Eagle little brave bows. My kids know how to shoot instinctive. My oldest is now 17, and he has his own adult compound. My youngest turned 14 last year, and he uses a youth bow, but this season he too will be into a adult sized compound. Both my bows go with whenever they can, and love bowhunting as much as I do. They go inbetween school sports, and girls. So I say its up to us parents to get our kids interested in hunting at a young age.
I don't know what you have against archery hunters, but everything you write you seem to think crossbows are the answer to everything. If you're so willing to push for crossbows to get out into the archery woods, why don't you put that same effort into a bow?
my friend, crossbows are coming to NY wether you like it or not, it's just a matter of time. NY state has lost close to a 1/4 million hunters in the last couple of decades! i look foward to the day when people who just don't have the time to become deadly with a bow can grab a crossbow and head to the woods and HUNT!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

a good xbow may be pricey but online you can get a jaguar 175pd xbow with a 3 reddot scope for 149.99
bet they can kill a deer to

My older 2 boys started playing around with youth style recurves at about 5 or 6 oldest only shoots compound but hasnt hunted last 2 years due to Iraq and afgan my youngest boypractices all the time
when i practice he does this will be his first year out with bow and he plans on taking a recuve
My daughter well she a great shot with a rifle but at the ripe old age of 10 she is busy with music and has no
desire to shoot as of now

Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

it cracks me up when the anti'sgripe that using a crossbow is too easy and the biggest problem with our youth today, and of course the whole video game thing always seems to pop up? then on the other hand some anti's will bark about how an x-bow is not any easier to become proficient with and someone who doesnt spend as much time with it as he spends with his compound won't be a good hunter?

this all shows how little the anti crossbowallegiance really even knows about this viable weapon that they are fighting tooth and nail?

a crossbow is not really balistically superior to a compound, BUT a crossbow can be put into the hands of an average person and this person can be a deadly hunter in very short order, the learning curve is alot shorter, OHH wait a minute here, that might give them more time to play video games DAMN!!!!

and as far as all of this video game BS is concerned"GET OVER IT" it's what young peopledo today, just like whenmost of us older guy's were being yelled at by our parents for sitting in front of the TV to long, heck atleast these kids today are are doing something when playing a video game, not just laying there watching the flintstones or bugs bunnie for hours on end...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 AM

It took me like 45 mins with my bow before I was shooting a 3" group at 20 yards with my bow. If somebody is too lazy to learn to practice with a bow you expect them to go out and hunt?

Quick Reply: crossbows will bring new blood!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.