Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Honest Answers.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Honest Answers.

so steel your the boss its up to you who can and cant use a xbow
you decide if we need anymore advantages
who said to shoot a buck heck i get doe tags too
imo people like you are scared that your archery skill are not up to par
and dont want anymore compation to bad you got it
oh yea about you kicking my A not worth a responce
already can see you are a sore loser
I know exactly the limits of my skillset...both with my recurve and my compound. Both were aquired through countless hours spent on the range in preparation for that perfect opportunity. Archery is an aquired skill, and the right to hunt with a bow is EARNED through your profficiency,not given by the law. I'll take your endowment of the title of sore loser and wear it with pride. Because I won't be taking the easy way out of bow practice this year, just because the idiots in Harrisburg want to increase the deer harvest and supplement their lean pocketbooks. My problemlies not with the weapon itself, but in it's inclusion in the archery season. It has been said already many times that anyone should be able to develop profficiency with a compound given today's technology....aside from elderly and cripples. The ones seeking to benefit from this the most are the lazy hunters who lack the discipline to adhere to the degree of pratice required of vertical bows. By their own character, those kind were greatly limited up until this point to rifle season and possibly ML seasons. Not that there are not some bowhunters out there that lack profficiency, but in my experience, their ultimate lack of success -relevant to their lack of practice and discipline, dissuades them after a few years and they go back to slinging lead after Thanksgiving. The other group that concerns me is the moderately successful bowhunter whose lust for antlers leads him to buy the Xbow hoping it somehow compensates for his weaknesses and past failures. This group gets no respect from me...or any other bowhunter worth his salt. Rest assured that I am a man who speaks his mind...especially on the topic of ethics. I have no fear speaking my mind face to face and I willgive any otherwise capable hunter I see carrying a crossbow the same lecture. If they react in manner described by Bowtruck and others....they just confirmed their own guilty conscience. But hey, if the shoe fits....And I wouldn't fear any physical confrontation with such a fella. Like I said before, if he isn't elderly or crippled, he is obviously to much of a wimp for archery anyway. Not too worried about what a guy could do to me that lacks the simple discipline to shoot his bow on a regular basis and become profficient with it! If any of you are still on the fence with the xbows, don't do it. If you are enamored with the weapon, use one in ML or gun season. Don't be a weasel and take the easy way in archery season.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

lmao big tough guy huh i hunted with recurve and compound for over 20 years as for your feeling of guys being lazy because they choose to hunt with a legal device is just ignorent on you part I myself love the time i spend
practicing with my recurve and compound on a daily basis and will continue to practice even if or when i buy
my new xbow but i dont have the need to think its not right or lazy of someone if they choose to go the xbow route
as for you wanting a fight when see xbowers you may be getting more than you bargin for you think you can kick anyone A you may want to look into a career as a mma /ufc fighter i am sure they would show you how
much your fighting skills currently lack

the right to hunt with a bow is not earned and you dont legally have to be profficiency all you have to do is buy the little sticker they stick on your general licsence
Some people need to get off the high horse before they fall off
Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

so steel your the boss its up to you who can and cant use a xbow
you decide if we need anymore advantages
who said to shoot a buck heck i get doe tags too
imo people like you are scared that your archery skill are not up to par
and dont want anymore compation to bad you got it
oh yea about you kicking my A not worth a responce
already can see you are a sore loser
I know exactly the limits of my skillset...both with my recurve and my compound. Both were aquired through countless hours spent on the range in preparation for that perfect opportunity. Archery is an aquired skill, and the right to hunt with a bow is EARNED through your profficiency,not given by the law. I'll take your endowment of the title of sore loser and wear it with pride. Because I won't be taking the easy way out of bow practice this year, just because the idiots in Harrisburg want to increase the deer harvest and supplement their lean pocketbooks. My problemlies not with the weapon itself, but in it's inclusion in the archery season. It has been said already many times that anyone should be able to develop profficiency with a compound given today's technology....aside from elderly and cripples. The ones seeking to benefit from this the most are the lazy hunters who lack the discipline to adhere to the degree of pratice required of vertical bows. By their own character, those kind were greatly limited up until this point to rifle season and possibly ML seasons. Not that there are not some bowhunters out there that lack profficiency, but in my experience, their ultimate lack of success -relevant to their lack of practice and discipline, dissuades them after a few years and they go back to slinging lead after Thanksgiving. The other group that concerns me is the moderately successful bowhunter whose lust for antlers leads him to buy the Xbow hoping it somehow compensates for his weaknesses and past failures. This group gets no respect from me...or any other bowhunter worth his salt. Rest assured that I am a man who speaks his mind...especially on the topic of ethics. I have no fear speaking my mind face to face and I willgive any otherwise capable hunter I see carrying a crossbow the same lecture. If they react in manner described by Bowtruck and others....they just confirmed their own guilty conscience. But hey, if the shoe fits....And I wouldn't fear any physical confrontation with such a fella. Like I said before, if he isn't elderly or crippled, he is obviously to much of a wimp for archery anyway. Not too worried about what a guy could do to me that lacks the simple discipline to shoot his bow on a regular basis and become profficient with it! If any of you are still on the fence with the xbows, don't do it. If you are enamored with the weapon, use one in ML or gun season. Don't be a weasel and take the easy way in archery season.
Sure Steaming Stool, we're all going to adapt your "my way or the highway" attitude and discard all of our guns and crossbows so we can be just like you. And we're all scared........real scared.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

and on and on and on................Legal. See ya' in the woods! I will be enjoying the legal hunt i 2009, not meandering around lookingto ambush or confront legal hunters. That might even be construed as Harassment? Hm-m-m-m-m, never thought of it that way. I haveto call a GW to stop another hunter from harassing me while I'm hunting legally.........hm-m-mm. That would probably make a Game News note. I'm sure PETA and company would honor me for having a nother hunter arrested no matter what the case. Stupid
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

Who said anything about harrassment, other than Bowtrucks' stupid ranting about farting, burping, disrupting the hunt,etc. That is harrasment. Expressing my opinions to another hunter could not posssibly be described as harrasment. No one said you had to agree with my opinion. If my opinion offends you than tough luck. Get over it. I don't believe in being politically correct or walking on egg shells for fear of hurting someone's feelings. I have always called it how I see it, and will continue to do so. The PGC was wrong plain and simple. The MAJORITY of the sportsmen of PA were adamantly against it. If you are physically capable of using a conventional bow, you should take the high road and use it. If the PGC gave out ten free doe tags with each license would you use them, too? Legal is NOT always theright thing to doin this case. What's next...assault rifles in ML season?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

SS, your opinion is only valid if and when i ask for it. Not when I am hunting, getting ready too or coming from. When you start talkin about giving your opinion during my hunt. I am out of these threads as of now. Good Cross Bow hunting liuck to all!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's a time and a place for hunters to discuss and dispute. This forum is one. The local tavern, the sportsmans club, the gun or bow shop all could be paces for this.
The woods or fields during a hunt is NOT!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is not steels nor ANY other hunters duty/ right and it is very unethical to judge what someone else is hunting
with if it is a legal wepon I dont see it a high or low road if someone decides to hunt with a xbow or compound
And it isnt hurting the disabled hunters having others with xbows that silly they can still go out with their xbows

I think some are taking the low road by accusing xbow hunters of being lazy so what they didnt take the time
to learn with a trad or compound doent matter as long as they are ethical and legal with their new bows
good luck to all bowhunter trad compound xbow all the same

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

ORIGINAL: rem700man

BtBow:
Over the years i have come to respect you as a pretty good hunter from reading your posts,,,i have come to the conclusion that you are into this thing just about as much as i am,,,and i also agree that we tend to disagree on some issues,,,so im asking you as 1 hunter to another,,,,why do you guys really disagree with the x-bow being a legitimate weapon during archery season,,,i dont understand the complaints,,,are you really worried about the ethics of the shot with some hunters,,,,is it the poaching thing,,,what exactly is it that ya'll despise about x-bows. They have been legal here in Va. for i think 5 yrs and i still know no one that uses them during season,,and i hunt alot of public land and i hav'nt seen 1 guy with a x-bow,,but then again,,,it's also legal to use semi-automatic rifles here and i see no one with a semi. I have shot x-bows quite extensively in the back yard with a few friends and no matter what guys like ole sproul say,,,their really not 3 shot 1 hole shooters @ 20 yds,,,so i dont think thats the issue. So enlighten me on the reasons why x-bows should not be legal in Pa. during the hunting season. Might i add honest answers
rem700: I would like express my reason why I voted no if I may? I think Archery season "may," my opinion, turn into a cousin of gun season. Again maybe. Since I only hunt public ground,my concerns are "if", a growing number jump onto this bandwagon, my solitude that I enjoy "might" come to an end? I know, everyone has a right to be in those woods. But I just seem to draw the most ignorant people when I used to rifle hunt. That's why I quit almost 30yrs ago. You know what I mean, hunters who leave their proper etiquette at home when it comes to bagging a deer. This is my only concern! Believe me, if that hunter wants to us a spear,crowbar, what ever his choice? And they are enjoying themselves,God Bless them!
[/align]
blkpowder: I understand what your saying from a selfish point of view(not saying that is a bad thing,,,most days i wish i was the only hunter in the state)but like it or not,,,theres gonna be other hunters invading what we feel is our territory in hunting season,,,,and i can for some blinded reason,,,only view that as a good thing,,,to me theres safety in numbers and in the year 2009 i feel like we need that safety of numbers,,i took a friend to a public hunting area this past season and he was seriously pi$$ed off that there was 30 cars parked in the parking lot,,,i sat him down on the tailgate and said "listen,,,these are all guys doin just what you and i are here to do,,,i scouted the area and i think we have a good chance at deer",,I Sh!T you not,,,i put him on stand,,,walked 150 yds away and he called me on the radio sayin he shot 2 does(compound bow) before i even got to my hang-on,,ruined hunt?,,,he!! no,,,i just earned the trust of a fellow hunter and he got venison to top it off! maybe strayed off point for a second,,,but what im thinkin is this,,,,i dont care what it takes to get a guy in the woods,,once he's there,,he's on my side,,,he likes my sport,,,and he's gonna vote my way when it comes to election time,,,it's not just hunting to me,,,it's gun collecting,,,it's reloading,,,it's the whole 18 yds .
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: rem700man

BtBow:
Over the years i have come to respect you as a pretty good hunter from reading your posts,,,i have come to the conclusion that you are into this thing just about as much as i am,,,and i also agree that we tend to disagree on some issues,,,so im asking you as 1 hunter to another,,,,why do you guys really disagree with the x-bow being a legitimate weapon during archery season,,,i dont understand the complaints,,,are you really worried about the ethics of the shot with some hunters,,,,is it the poaching thing,,,what exactly is it that ya'll despise about x-bows. They have been legal here in Va. for i think 5 yrs and i still know no one that uses them during season,,and i hunt alot of public land and i hav'nt seen 1 guy with a x-bow,,but then again,,,it's also legal to use semi-automatic rifles here and i see no one with a semi. I have shot x-bows quite extensively in the back yard with a few friends and no matter what guys like ole sproul say,,,their really not 3 shot 1 hole shooters @ 20 yds,,,so i dont think thats the issue. So enlighten me on the reasons why x-bows should not be legal in Pa. during the hunting season. Might i add honest answers
First of all, thanks! It's always good to talk to guys that are as nutzo about deer hunting as I am

Fair enough question. If you look back over some of the crossbow threads prior to this recent vote, you'll find that my position on the crossbow as a weaponhad come around to being basically neutral. I've owned one since they were legalized for gun season. I have access to places where gun hunting simply isn't permitted and use the thing in the gun season in those spots sometimes.

It has pro's and cons. The two big pro's being that it doesnt need to be drawn in the presence of the game and it can be shot from a far wider range of body positions. By the time our gun season is a half day old, most every deer in PA knows the deal. Getting into bow (any bow) range at that point is a bit tougher than it was in October and through the rut. At that point in the season, not having to draw in front of those nervous eyes can be a big advantage over a vertical bow. It's also a weapon that can be shot lying on you belly. Something we occasionally do to hide in tight spots when doing small drives through tight areas.

On the other hand, there are cons to the crossbow. It's noisy.Being a shorter projectile,a crossbow bolt is actaully far less stable than a conventional arrow in flight. Accuracy comes easier at short ranges but only to a point. A good vertical bow archer will outshoot a crossbow guy far more often. When shot without a rest, it is actually far less accurate then a vertical bow in most hands. It is front heavy and unweildy to carry. I sincerely doubt that many healthy archers will switch and stay switched. I would bet that many of those that change to the xbow will quickly change back.

As I said, the weapon was not the issue for me. My concern was that the perception out there among non archers seems to be "now I can get a crossbow and it will be like gun hunting in the rut" or some similiar thought.

My worry was and still is that we'll experience a wave of new hunters that, till now, wouldnt put in the time it takes to be an effective, responsible, archery hunter. I'm worried about the gang that will simply plunk down the cash a week or less before the season and stomp on out there and probaly take irresponsible shots etc etc.

I had actually said several times that I could support the inclusion of the xbow if it came with a mandatory bowhunter ed requirement for ALL new bowhunters. Granted, there are vertical bow hunters out there that have no business being in the woods but I worry that the percieved ease of the crossbow will tend to attract those that till now would have been too lazy to make the commitment necessary to effectively bowhunt.

Theother big problem I have is with how it was done here.The vote seemed like a big bold F___ you in the faces of the 90% majority of hunters who wrote in opposition. Regardless of where I happen to stand on the issue, the BOC voted against 90% of the hunters who felt strongly enough about the issue to write. Personally, had there been a bowhunter ed requirement with it I'd have been OK with it but the BOC didn't act properly based on the wishes of their constituents.

Something else I learned only recently was thatroughly63,000 crossbow permits are out there now. That MAY, be an inication that the guys looking for the easy way have already gone to their doc, said "my shoulder hurts, please sign this paper" and got their crossbow permit.
It could be that the horse was already out of the barn.

The last thing I'llsay about HOW it was done is that I'd have liked to see a more gradual introduction.The sheer numbers we have here calls for caution when any new way to kill deer is introduced especially in these times.
Btbow: 1st of all i will say that your response was well thought out and written with heart,,,i read ya'lls responses at 3am this morning and i wanted to give it some thought before i posted back. Let me say that politically as far as the whole x-bow issue has been brought to law,,,i know nothing and i want to know even less,,,i feel like our whole governing body has been belittled to "whats in it for me" both federally and locally,,,that being said,,,i also understand your concerns when it comes to the big money guys that run out the week before season and buy a x-bow,,4 bolts and a new "dream season"suit and hit the woods,,,but both you and I know that theres 1000's of guys that do the very same thing every year when the "new top of the line bow" comes out and it's advertised all over the hunting channels on tv. He!!,,,i've shot hoyt all my life and i have 2 new matthew reezen bows bein put together at the local shop as we speak(1's my sons) I guess what im askin is why should I,,you,,they tell another man/woman what they are capable of as long as they are willing to give a whole hearted try? I want more people in this game,,i want em joined up in the NRA,,,i want them shooting,,,i want them hunting,,,i just want em on my side,,,i could give a $h!t less what their using to succeed.

Quick Reply: Honest Answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.