Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What to do with the crossbows. >

What to do with the crossbows.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What to do with the crossbows.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to do with the crossbows.

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

They arent cutting doe tags to appropriate levelseven though it shouldhave already been done, before we even got xguns.
I think this is, and has been,THE singlebiggestproblem that we have! And itIS pretty mucha statewide problem. You won't get an arguement out of me on this. They need to go back to the basic 2 day antlerless season. At least for a few years anyway.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Totally agree that they are not going away. "My" hope is that, a "Large" percentage get frustrated with them and quit. If not,they will have to make adjustments on doe allocations.[/align]
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The doe kill will not go up because of crossbows.The doe kill is controlled by the antlerless allocation,period.The worst thing that will happen is the number of pre-rut bucks getting harvested will go up.If that happens,the season can potentially be shorted.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Banned

If the doe allocation ISNT adjusted (just as it hasnt been all along)the doe killwill behigher than it would be without crossguns.

Prerut or any added buck harvest isnt exactly a good thing. It effects overall deer numbers, it effects age structure, and both are already poor. Despite what pgc thinks, hunter satisfaction should be a consideration and all ofthe above DOES effect it, and not in a good way.

Pgc has shown us time and again that they believe we CAN kill too few deer in their mind, but NEVER can we kill too many by their standards. Thats pure nonsense and ecoflake thinking.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not happy about the crossbow situation at all.The doe kill will not go up appreciably.That's controlled by allocations.I am concerned about the pre-rut buck kill and I'm also concerned about any influx of instant archers.

This decision was politically motivated and not based onthe PGC wanting more deer killed.That had nothing to do with it.The legislature was threatened tochange the language to include crossbows.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Banned

I dont believe the "political motivated " part. One a few legislators were pushing for it. Far more pushed AGAINST the deer program and have been trying to introdue bills etc. all along, yet pgc hasnt for the mostpart budged. So, no, I dont buy that all of a sudden pgc is scared to death of the legislators, especially when it was a handful that couldnt have accomplished anything anyway.

Its simply pgc passing the buck again.Take the action, then place the blame elsewhere. They know their decision alienated some of their allies. They know how to do damage control.

Killing deer andmoney. Thats how they roll these days.

Btw, I am ALSO concerned with the other "effects" you mention. That only makes the whole deal worse.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

DougE, The way I should have ended my first response is, we will have to make adjustments in all area's. Providing this plays out the way we are forecasting it will. You are absolutely correct the doe kill is controlled by allocations. This is just an "example":[/align]If the PGC says it takes ten antlerless license sold for every one deer harvested. Giving aantlerless tag holder another six weeks, providing that tag holder now participates in archery season with a crossbow. My opinion, will change the success rate of antlerless deer harvested per tags sold. And yes, crossbows it will have an effect on the pre-rut bucks. For now,we all are taking a guess on what is aboutto happen. Unfortunately,we are going to have to wait and see.[/align]
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed.There are still some umknown variables.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Doug,

The doe kill is not only controlled by the amount of doe license allocations. Length of seasons and the proficency with the given weapon are also factors.

Only a fool would believe that the introduction of crossbows is not going to increase the amount of doe being taken. The only question is how significant will it be. How many people are going to be using crossbows and how many of them are going to be interested in shooting a doe?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

The doe kill will not go up because of crossbows.The doe kill is controlled by the antlerless allocation,period.The worst thing that will happen is the number of pre-rut bucks getting harvested will go up.If that happens,the season can potentially be shorted.

WRONG

Quick Reply: What to do with the crossbows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.