Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 crossbows in NY state >

crossbows in NY state

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows in NY state

Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: crossbows in NY state

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

I'm not really sure how much Xbows will effect harvest rates.A big part of the reason we have such good deer pops now is several years of mild winters but in my area now the temps are running well below normal and snow fall is well above.It only takes one or two harsh winters to put a healthy dent in deer numbers.Same goes for grouse and turkey.It gets pretty tricky to manage pop numbers as they vary widely depending on the area.If they do decide to allow xbows I think it would be best to limit them to the counties in the southern tier that have abundant deer numbers/doe permits for the first few years untill they can get a realistic view of the impact.
deleted in respect for steveny.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Yankee Doodle

As far as I am concerned, they should. However, this being NY, I wouldn't hold my breath till it is passed.
So, for the record, I feel that all of the following should be legal in any county in the State:
Centerfire rifle,
shotgun,
centerfire pistol,
centerfire revolver,
any muzzleloader,
any bow,
any crossbow.
Just my opinion, but getting it passed in NY is near impossible.
Ditto.... It would be nice to decide for our self once in a while.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:17 PM

I hope you never age!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Well.. I hunt with my longbow exclusively through all the seasons, including gun season. I have no objections to the use of the crossbow. If it allows more sportsman to continue to hunt, or get more young people into the woods hunting and away from the computer. I'm all for it!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM

I just clicked onto this site for the first time. I was surprised to find the comments from the NY wildlife officerswho claimedcrossbows are the ultimate poachers' weapons and they expected to be deluged with problems if they are approved. I suggest they check the stats with their fellow officers in states which have enjoyed crossbow hunting for several years. They are so incorrect as to be an embarassment to their professionalism. Forget emotionalism. Please check facts. We hear enough of the other from the political front.

And as to other commentsthat crossbow shooters will be tempted to shoot 60 yards and beyond, tell me a method out there be it firearm or bow configuration that someone will not attempt to stretch to the absurd. I am familiar with three archery ranges within a couple hours of my home that DO NOT allow crossbow shooters, not because they disagree with their use, but because crossbows are too hard on their standard targets. And all three have targets for standard and compound bowsto 60 yards. One even had a 3-D target at that range someone carried out there. Lack of knowledge, half-hearted practice, and lack of consideration for the game hunted is not restricted to any methodology.

And as a poacher's weapon? Crossbows are too cumbersome to conceal, too awkward to shoot from a vehicle ( unless you want to chance taking out your dash or a window) and Lord knows, way too expensive to even think of chucking.

Just some thoughts from a 70 year old who has hunted several states, many countries, and taken most critters with any and all methods legal in the areas hunted. We need to consolidate our ranks and present a solid front, not a fractured one. When bows went to cams, to 80-per cent letoff, optic sights, jumped speed to over the 320 mark, and states legalized mechanical releases, the differences of whether you hold your unit horizontal or vertical, have quickly evaporated.Just some food for thought.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

DELETED IN RESPECT FOR STEVEBNY
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can some of you be for adding xbows during bow season... its so unfair for bow hunters... its hard enough for us but now we have to worry about xbows slaying all the deer. Im for it but only during Rifle and late season.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

How can some of you be for adding xbows during bow season... its so unfair for bow hunters... its hard enough for us but now we have to worry about xbows slaying all the deer.
Has not happened anyplace where legal.
Isn't a 90+ % letoff compound with a scope, triggered release "unfair" to the compound/recurve shooter?

And I would like to see the proof - not coffee shop/internet rumor that the crossbow has become the poachers weapon of choice anywhere?
Key word here is "proof".

Steve
Old 02-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wondering

I just clicked onto this site for the first time. I was surprised to find the comments from the NY wildlife officerswho claimedcrossbows are the ultimate poachers' weapons and they expected to be deluged with problems if they are approved. I suggest they check the stats with their fellow officers in states which have enjoyed crossbow hunting for several years. They are so incorrect as to be an embarassment to their professionalism. Forget emotionalism. Please check facts. We hear enough of the other from the political front.

And as to other commentsthat crossbow shooters will be tempted to shoot 60 yards and beyond, tell me a method out there be it firearm or bow configuration that someone will not attempt to stretch to the absurd. I am familiar with three archery ranges within a couple hours of my home that DO NOT allow crossbow shooters, not because they disagree with their use, but because crossbows are too hard on their standard targets. And all three have targets for standard and compound bowsto 60 yards. One even had a 3-D target at that range someone carried out there. Lack of knowledge, half-hearted practice, and lack of consideration for the game hunted is not restricted to any methodology.

And as a poacher's weapon? Crossbows are too cumbersome to conceal, too awkward to shoot from a vehicle ( unless you want to chance taking out your dash or a window) and Lord knows, way too expensive to even think of chucking.

Just some thoughts from a 70 year old who has hunted several states, many countries, and taken most critters with any and all methods legal in the areas hunted. We need to consolidate our ranks and present a solid front, not a fractured one. When bows went to cams, to 80-per cent letoff, optic sights, jumped speed to over the 320 mark, and states legalized mechanical releases, the differences of whether you hold your unit horizontal or vertical, have quickly evaporated.Just some food for thought.
good post!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

how about a early m/l season flintlocks only side locks @ iron sight for deer hunting in the southern zone
I get tired of the bone they throw you at the end of the seson the deer are spooked temp: freezzing cold and if you post with no drivers you chances in getting a deer are few far between.

Quick Reply: crossbows in NY state

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.