Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rifle season 2008 is history >

Rifle season 2008 is history

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rifle season 2008 is history

Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifle season 2008 is history

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

We both know about your suspicians with the kids tags. We even agree that it probably happens.It seems we've come to a point where wesimplyagree to disagree witheach other on the severity of the situation and on the solution. Nuff said on that.

This poacher is a totally different story. He is proudly declaring that he does the opposite. He's encouraging his kids to take more deer than the law allows. He appears to believe he is being noble by tagging a deer shot by his kids and giving them the chance to keep on hunting. No matter what anyone beleives about the state of the deer herd, this guy is a hypocrite for complaining that the PGC is wiping out the deer herd while he teaches his kids to poach by taking more deer than the law allows.

Would it be any different if he broke down the neighbors door so his kids could then go in and rob the place? Either way, it's teaching the kids a lack of respect for the law and for something that doesn't belong to them.

Coalcracker, I hope the WCO's on here are listening. You may never get caught but the life lessons you're teaching those kids may well come back to you in a way you'll truly regret.

i look around at things i see and at times, i feel i am only one going by rules.

i see it a lot too.

i think at times, i am fossil ,old school going by rules.

then i see what i see and hear, YES IT IS DISGUSTING and outnumbers usthat do go by rules.a lot done by the PILLARS of community.

SPROULE, you better stop,you are getting to point you may say TRUTH and offend some, so i will stop .
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

[]liver[]
bb i think most hunters try to push deer to their family / freinds
That is the way things used to be, but now hunters sit in their ladder stands from before dawn to dark. Today there is too much greed to fill every tag and shoot trophy bucks, those of us that are older have seen our sport go downhill.

I had takenmy three boys deer hunting when they reached the age of ten, this would be on both Saturdays, which only allowed me the first day to actually do some hunting. When they were eleven, I would take them the first day and both Saturdays, I wanted them to be out the first day to get used to the shooting, before they hunted the following year. Ididn't have any time to really hunt from 1982 thru 1996 because of not being on stand alone or pushing deer for my sons.

The PGC had to start a mentor youth hunt to do the things that I did, children don't have to shoot a deer or carry a rifle toget interested in hunting. All you have to do is take an interest in teaching your children to hunt, then when they are old enough, push deer for them instead of trying to shoot a deer yourself and put their tag on it.

I have tagged deer for my children so I could keep on pushing for them and the others. If RSB tries to give me a fine for this I have one answer for him, I'm a bigger liar then he is and I don't even try to twist things.

My ten year old grandson hunting this year for the first time, he might have gotten a doe, then again he might not have, but there was a deer shot out of the stand he was in, it was an antlerless deer and it ended up with a tag on. He was with me the first Saturday in the evening, but we didn't see a deer. The second Saturday he was sick and couldn't hunt, so I shot a doe at 4:50 in the evening, when I was sure my grandsonwasn't going to make it hunting. You shouldn't have to ask yourself why I saved my antlerless taguntil the end of the last day.

Now I understand where BB is coming from, but I'm sure a greedy hunter wouldn't understand, because he is just thinking of himself like those that mock him for not shooting a deer every year.

Tagging deer for your kids. Thats great! You scream and whine about too many deer beingkilled and at the same time you teach your kids how to poach! You are the lowest of the low!

BAM! Dad I got a deer! Here son, I'll tag it for you. You just keep on killing em! Gee, thanks dad but isn't that against the law? Don't worry son, the WCO will never know. You just keep shootin! Congratulations on the lessons you've taught your son[:'(]You must be so proud![:'(]

Whats next? Do hold the spotlight for em while they shoot? Based on your rationalizations, I can see you resorting to teaching them jacklight next if they don't see deer during the day!

You are absolutely disgusting and a hypocrite to boot! Now you also admit to teaching your ten year old grandson that it's OK to scam the system.

You are the ultimate example of the kind of hunterthat this sportcan do without[:'(]
bob,not going to go much deeper on this, everyone knows things i said is happening and this is about NORMAL ,when i say normal, lets use figure that over 50% do it .

is it DISGUSTING,WELL, NOT WHEN ITS RAINING AND THATS ONLY DEER YOU SEE,in MOST huntes eyes, its not bad thing.

i cant go into solution for this,i did but wont go there againbut most have readthat it is HAPPENING a lot .

he is just stating WHAT IS HAPPENING.
I think a lot of these hunter should spend some time out of the SGL parkinglots and their ladder stands. Sometimes I think there is more outlaws in the woods than sportmen, it's no wonder the WCO's have very little trust for hunters.

I have been offer many times to tag a doe that other hunters shot more than one, always told the guy in the area that I don't want a deer unless I shoot it myself. Have seen hunters shoot deer and put their wifes tag on it, then run home and be back hunting within an hour. Watched a PSP dragging out a doe, then empty his pistol as another ran past him. I've seen bucks laying within 50 yards of trucks, waiting until the end of the day to either take under darkness or put anothers tag on it.

I think I've seenor heard about some of the acts hunters pull, but I'm sure there are a lot that I don't know about. I've always told my boys that they should never attempt to shoot at a second deer if they felt that they hit the first one they had shot at.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

to me, breaking rules takes fun out of hunting.

but i see very few that are out there just to enjoy the hunt.

many, many have to get THAT MEAT.fill the freezer.

it is hurting our deer numbers badly in areas with few deer.

some got 6 deer this year ,others never saw deer and hunted hard.

something wrong with that picture,that is why it should be 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE IN WMU2G.

i hope you dont do things you said, kid learns nothing from that butgetting that deer or filling TAGS is like a disease to some.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, I raised a bunch of poachers, I'm sure you would have had them tag the doe and have a 13 or 14 year old puch deer for you in the scrub oaks.

In those days you were allowed one deer per year during a three day season, we didn't hunt the big woods where seeing a deer was a given. There were many years we didn't get a buck or doe, it's hard to keep a child interested in hunting when they go out and see nothing. I had tagged one doe for my now 38 year old, none for my son now 35 and one for my son that is now 31.

Now that we hunt my own land around the house,we didn't shoot doe for the first five years,it's my 38 year olds idea not to shoot buck without four to a side and antlers wider than the ears (this was done before AR and we are in the three point area). We only shoot one or two doe a year since we started shooting them, we figure less than half of the fawns should be taken out as older does.During the last eleven years, he will only bow hunt, says he has first chance at the bucks and will not hunt with a rifle. Seems to me he has higher standard than you. He didn't get a buck this year, went against one of the rules on our land and harvested a button buck, it had a broken front leg and had trouble getting around, he felt bad about it, but knew it was the best thing for the deer.

35 year old son lived out of state since College, purchased 90 acres in Tioga County N.Y. last year. He set a three points to a side and no antlerless deer, didn't get to hunt it himself last year because of building a new home and only allowed one hunter from N.Y. to hunt there. The 30 acres behind his home is a santuary, do you think he is doing that to shoot all those deer at night? This year he has marriage problems and only hunted a few days in bow, he also refused to hunt with arifle and he only ever shot one doe in all his hunting time. He really turned out to be a poacher, didn't he?

My youngest at 33 hasn't hunted since he graduated from High School in 1996, he has been busy moving around to work his way up and attending night college. Now that he lives in PA again, along Rt 81 at exit 3, he might start hunting again. Sunday he was here and I gave a good supply of the doe I shot, my children like deer meat a lot more than I.

Until you come on here and tell me that you only hunt with the bow, that is when you can stack up to my sons. They have sucessful careers, not poachers as you call them and probably have higher standards than you.
Don't know your sons but if they turned out to be law abiding sportsmen thats great for them. You seem to have backpedaled considerably from the original post on this subject. If what you posted originally was the truth, you can take none of thecredit for the fact that they turned out not to be poachers.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

If you knew me you wouldn't call me a poacher for tagging two of my sons doe. It cost me over $1,000 a year, between taxes, lost rental income, food plots, equipment plus all my time put into habitat work. I have a farmer plant my field without collecting rental, he is only allowed to plant and harvest soybeans and corn for the deer.

I buy two antlerless tags each year, but would only use one since we started shooting doe as I believe one deer is enough per hunter. I give my best stand to guest when they come, guests have harvested more deer than me, my brother-in-law who is four years older than me (I'm 66) shot a buck out of that stand which is the biggest buck heever shot and it was bigger than anybuck I have ever seen. I've had nephews and other junior hunters come to hunt and were allowed to harvest a doe, which they did. I spent about 20 hours this year hunting out of my stands, some of the evening I was over 200 yards away from where the deer normally show. My limit on my ability to make a killing shot is 100 yards, I was only out to see deer, not to kill one.

Before the season and after, I spend ten times more in the stands not hunting than I do hunting, get more enjoyment from seeing deer and how they react than trying to kill one.

The only reason I shot a doe at 4:50 on the last day, my oldest son only shot that button buck with the broken front leg and the doe that was shot the first day, wasn't found until the following morning and the butcher said it was spoiled. It takes two deer to supply three sons families with deer meat, but if my son wouldn't shoot a dear, which has happened, I won't shoot a second one no matter what.

We have a decent amount of deer around here, but it doesn't bother me that I spend money feeding deer for other hunters to harvest, deer numbers here in the farm country don't increase in one area, they move out for other hunters to hunt. I'm not a greedy hunter and I'm a good steward of my land. If I wanted to just kill deer, I go to my wifes uncle two farms, which are now in 5C, or to the SGL that is now 5C and only two miles to the South of my home.

As I said before my son has 90 acres in N.Y., it borders State land up there. Last year I spent over $14,000 to buy equipment alone, plus travelling up ther to prepare his field, lime, fertilizer, fuel and seeds. All this time and money to feed the deer on State land and I don't know if I'll ever hunt up there.

I give a lot more back to nature than the guy that buys a license and only wants to fill all his tags and thinks he is a great sportman.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you knew me you wouldn't call me a poacher for tagging two of my sons doe. It cost me over $1,000 a year, between taxes, lost rental income, food plots, equipment plus all my time put into habitat work. I have a farmer plant my field without collecting rental, he is only allowed to plant and harvest soybeans and corn for the deer.

I buy two antlerless tags each year, but would only use one since we started shooting doe as I believe one deer is enough per hunter. I give my best stand to guest when they come, guests have harvested more deer than me, my brother-in-law who is four years older than me (I'm 66) shot a buck out of that stand which is the biggest buck heever shot and it was bigger than anybuck I have ever seen. I've had nephews and other junior hunters come to hunt and were allowed to harvest a doe, which they did. I spent about 20 hours this year hunting out of my stands, some of the evening I was over 200 yards away from where the deer normally show. My limit on my ability to make a killing shot is 100 yards, I was only out to see deer, not to kill one.

Before the season and after, I spend ten times more in the stands not hunting than I do hunting, get more enjoyment from seeing deer and how they react than trying to kill one.

The only reason I shot a doe at 4:50 on the last day, my oldest son only shot that button buck with the broken front leg and the doe that was shot the first day, wasn't found until the following morning and the butcher said it was spoiled. It takes two deer to supply three sons families with deer meat, but if my son wouldn't shoot a dear, which has happened, I won't shoot a second one no matter what.

We have a decent amount of deer around here, but it doesn't bother me that I spend money feeding deer for other hunters to harvest, deer numbers here in the farm country don't increase in one area, they move out for other hunters to hunt. I'm not a greedy hunter and I'm a good steward of my land. If I wanted to just kill deer, I go to my wifes uncle two farms, which are now in 5C, or to the SGL that is now 5C and only two miles to the South of my home.

As I said before my son has 90 acres in N.Y., it borders State land up there. Last year I spent over $14,000 to buy equipment alone, plus travelling up ther to prepare his field, lime, fertilizer, fuel and seeds. All this time and money to feed the deer on State land and I don't know if I'll ever hunt up there.

I give a lot more back to nature than the guy that buys a license and only wants to fill all his tags and thinks he is a great sportman.
All of those things are indded admirable.

It sounds like the illegal activity ,other then the stuff with the grandson, happened a while ago. Why would a guy who does all those things right as you claimtake part in an act that simply teaches a kid complete disrespect for the law and the game? With all the good things you claim to do for the resource, why would you have done that and now againteach your grandson the same disrespect for the rules?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

My grandson only had this year and next to harvest a deer with a rifle, after that I'm sure he will be bow hunting with his father and other grandfather. Before he spends a couple years in a treestand with a bow trying to get his first deer, I didn't want him toget discouraged in bow hunting and hunting completely. If he chooses bow hunting, he now knows there is an easier way to tag a deer and won't feel bad about not getting a deer each year because he made the choice.

I don't agree with the mentor program restricting young hunters to a buck only, I would have gladly given my second tag, over the years, to the local Sportmans Club for a younger to harvest a doe. My mother always said, "you have to learn to crawl before you walk", why not let the youth shoot a doe, then work up to a buck.

I have a lot of restrictions for people that hunt here, 4 pointsto a side, unless there are no brow tines, but in addition to that, antlers have to be as wide as the ears. No button bucks unless you have a good reason, if in don't, don't shoot. One shot at a deer, with all the homes around, you losetrack in the scope where the deer is located. No shooting from the ground, again for safety reasons. No one hunts here until they are shown in the daytime, which directions they are allowed to shoot from all three stands. I have no stands that it's safe to shoot in more than two directions. Anyone breaking my rules aren't invited back, had to ban a relative for shooting a BB with over and inch of horn showing, at 25 yards in the open field with nine power scope, at thirty some years old there is no excuse. He was told before we left the house that htere were three fawns from a doe my son shot in archery, this BB led the two does around and we wanted to see if he would stay in the area.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

All that you have stated does not excuse the illegal tagging of a doe for your grandson. Totally pathetic if you asked me. So now your grandson's first deer can't be discussed with friends, it has to stay a secret. Instead of being a great achievment and milestone in his life it's a poached deer. I commend you on all your rules and hard work but this one is a terrible loss of judgement on your part. The best thing you could do is turn yourself in and teach your grandson that even when you make a mistake you man up and do the right thing.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

WTD hit it dead nuts.

I happen to agree that the mentored hunt being bucks only is a total PGC brain fart. Totally opposite of the purpose of a mentored hunt.

That doesn't mean that you take a 10 year old and teach him that it's OK to break a law you don't like. At 10, a grandson is going to look upto his grandpa and set his moral compass according to what he sees. How will you feel if he later breaks some other law that he doesn't like after learning by your example? Many people believe that certain illicit drugs shouldnt be illegal. Maybe in a few years, he sees a school buddy making great money selling drugs. You've already knocked down the first domino. Will you be able to stop the next one?

Yes, thats an extreme example. It's extreme to make a point.....
Have you really thought about the bigger lesson you're teaching him here?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

WTD hit it dead nuts.

I happen to agree that the mentored hunt being bucks only is a total PGC brain fart. Totally opposite of the purpose of a mentored hunt.

That doesn't mean that you take a 10 year old and teach him that it's OK to break a law you don't like. At 10, a grandson is going to look upto his grandpa and set his moral compass according to what he sees. How will you feel if he later breaks some other law that he doesn't like after learning by your example? Many people believe that certain illicit drugs shouldnt be illegal. Maybe in a few years, he sees a school buddy making great money selling drugs. You've already knocked down the first domino. Will you be able to stop the next one?

Yes, thats an extreme example. It's extreme to make a point.....
Have you really thought about the bigger lesson you're teaching him here?
YesI see your point, if I teach him respect forwildlife, he is liable to pass up a shot. If I teach him to be a good steward of the land, hemight start growing pot in those corn fields, use it and sellsome of itfor profit. wouldn't this boy to develop a "green thumb".

I should be taking him to the SGL on the first day and Saturday, I could try and fill my antlerless tags and he could shoot a smaller buck there. Why let him try an shoot a small buck on my property, save it for another year when it grows up.

With 5C now being only two miles away from me, I could get a pocket full ofantlerless tags for that SGL, his father and I could still be hunting doe. I'm sure this child would be impressed and want to stack upthe deer when he turns 12.

With the farm attached to my land that I own with my brother-in-law, I could get at least 10 DMAP's for the 50 acres under the plow, plus a few for my own holdings.Without hunting my property on at least the first day, I could show himhow to have a perpetual supply of deer meat. We could shoot off every button buck we see, they disburse to other lands and it does us no good to save them. Shoot off some of the doe fawns, most of them will disburse anyway, keep a few around in case we would shoot off a couple of older doe.

It was really stupid of me to have those two doe tags for 5 years, sit on my own property, not shooting doe and listening to everyone else shooting them on the SGL. I should have been up there withall the other hunters trying to fill my tags, in those five years I only shot one buck and nobody even offered me a deer steak.

I'm such a fool to think that the harvest should be spread around, when our Alpha hunters shoot more than they can eat and give the excess to the food banks, rather than let another hunter harvesta deer.

Yes, I think it's time to make my grandson a killing machine and set this example for him starting next year. Trespassing isn't a hunting violation, should I show him how to sneak onto the neighbors property, when they are at work or out in the fields?

Quick Reply: Rifle season 2008 is history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.