Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rifle season 2008 is history >

Rifle season 2008 is history

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rifle season 2008 is history

Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rifle season 2008 is history

I was wondering if anyone else had these kinds of experiences, if it happens more in the farming areas or also in the big woods. Our farm country deer grow up living with humans and hear all kinds of noises, including gun fire and cars back fire.

Yep. It's mostly farm country with some large woodlots where I hunt, although there are some big woods not far away. Deer are used tonoisytraffic on the gravel roads, trucks, tractors, chainsawsand ATVs. My cousin cruises around with his Polaris all year long, dragging outlogs and cutting firewood. I've already driven up within 30 yards of deer with my ATV and it seldom spooks them, IF I let it run and don't get off.

I've watched deer feeding during deer season once the hunting pressure has subsided and most of them pay little attention to anything but filling their tummies. A nearby shot will cause them to raise theirheads, but if they don't see or smell something that causes them further alarm, they usually go back to feeding again.

One year I popped a big doe feeding with her fawns, from a ladder stand. They were totally unconcerned about anything but food and that was late in the morning of the first Wednesday. Since concurrent seasons, that's my "earliest" doe yet. Only did that because the next morning I had to take an elderly uncle to town for hisdoctor's visit,knew I wouldn't get out much that Thursday and wasgoing home Friday.

In my experience, farm country deer quickly go back to normal once hunting pressure slacks off a bit, especially ifweather is a factor. They're already used to lots of human presense in one form or another.

The deerthat live in the woodlot out back here at home, are even more tolerant of human presense and even dogs.Our lab barking out back seldom keeps them from the apple trees.Once they figure out he can't chase them, they go back to eatin' apples again.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DennyF

I was wondering if anyone else had these kinds of experiences, if it happens more in the farming areas or also in the big woods. Our farm country deer grow up living with humans and hear all kinds of noises, including gun fire and cars back fire.

Yep. It's mostly farm country with some large woodlots where I hunt, although there are some big woods not far away. Deer are used tonoisytraffic on the gravel roads, trucks, tractors, chainsawsand ATVs. My cousin cruises around with his Polaris all year long, dragging outlogs and cutting firewood. I've already driven up within 30 yards of deer with my ATV and it seldom spooks them, IF I let it run and don't get off.

I've watched deer feeding during deer season once the hunting pressure has subsided and most of them pay little attention to anything but filling their tummies. A nearby shot will cause them to raise theirheads, but if they don't see or smell something that causes them further alarm, they usually go back to feeding again.

One year I popped a big doe feeding with her fawns, from a ladder stand. They were totally unconcerned about anything but food and that was late in the morning of the first Wednesday. Since concurrent seasons, that's my "earliest" doe yet. Only did that because the next morning I had to take an elderly uncle to town for hisdoctor's visit,knew I wouldn't get out much that Thursday and wasgoing home Friday.

In my experience, farm country deer quickly go back to normal once hunting pressure slacks off a bit, especially ifweather is a factor. They're already used to lots of human presense in one form or another.

The deerthat live in the woodlot out back here at home, are even more tolerant of human presense and even dogs.Our lab barking out back seldom keeps them from the apple trees.Once they figure out he can't chase them, they go back to eatin' apples again.

Deer are quite good at adapting to threatening versus non threatening human activity. they also don't need too many lessons when human behavior changes a little.

I've had several interesting experiences hunting suburban deer. It's amazing that deer that grow up among plenty of humans learn very quickly that there'sa big difference between that guy on his back deck flipping burgers and that green gray blob up in the tree trying to ventilate them. Similar to a dog sensing a stranger versus a freind coming to your door, deer that spend time around humans have an uncanny knack for differentiatin hunters from non hunting humans and their activities.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

When are you going to abandon this nit picking
When Livbucks admits he made a mistake and stops making false accusations about me.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

When are you going to abandon this nit picking,ill informed,juvenile, irrational vendetta?

Based on the observations of the past several years on several sites...probably never?

Beenthere Larry is the ultimate website troll. No conversation he's inserted himself intois everover, until he says it's over. Now apparently, banning him doesn't even "work", since he's managed to reinvent himself enough times to regain access to sites previously denied him.

The ignore feature worked well at HPA,not sure if they have one here or not, BT?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Denny, you are sure one to talk. All you ever do is whine whine whine. Only other posts you make are one of two categories. A huge nine paragraph off topic story about nothing at all. Or a post jumping to the defense of pgc. No matter what is said, blindly defend them to the end.

I know of one particular site you were run off basically and Im certain most there do not miss you. So before attacking others for their posting habits, look in the mirror first bub.

Hpa may be "ban happy" and ban anyone speaking out against pgc or their deer plan, but thankfully this isnt hpa. Got a problem with a member? Contact site administration. Nobody want to hear a grown man sobbing on every other post on every single message board, about nothing. The topic is 2008 rifle season. Not waaa waaa I dont like so-and-so, so make him shut up![:@][:'(]
Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

BB..you alluded to kicking racks off deer when I said that hunters would bust 'em off with hammers. I didn't make that up. although I did stroke you about it a bit. You even stated there was no explicit law against kicking a deer in the head.
You wanna stop? That's the last I will say about it, provided you do the same regard.

I can't believe you would claim that the racks of 2.5 year old deer have not increased. You have absolutely no facts upon which to base your claim. I can tell you that from my observations, the racks of 1.5 year old deer sure have. I am seeing a bigger percentage of legal 1.5 year olds in the last couple years. I certainly see a less percentage of spikes.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BB..you alluded to kicking racks off deer when I said that hunters would bust 'em off with hammers. I didn't make that up. although I did stroke you about it a bit
You didn't "stroke me a bit" , you falsely and malicious claimed that I did it.
ou even stated there was no explicit law against kicking a deer in the head.
To my knowledge there is no law that makes it illegal to kick the horns off a dead deer that is not a roadkill or that you did not harvest illegally. If you can cite the section of the code that proves I am wrong , I will admit I made a mistake, which is something you refuse to do.
I can't believe you would claim that the racks of 2.5 year old deer have not increased. You have absolutely no facts upon which to base your claim.
Wrong again. I have a direct quote from Dr. Rosenberry where he states that there is no data that shows if the rack sizes of 2.5+ buck increased or decreased. Furthermore,all of the studies show that the buck saved by ARs are inferior for the rate of antler development and as yet ,I have not seen one study that showed the average rack size of 2.5+ buck increased due to ARs. The longest and most extensive study of ARs ever conducted was in Miss. and that study showed that ARs resulted in a statewide decrease in the rack size of 2.5+ buck.

BTW, it was you that introduced the concept of breaking the antlers off of non-AR legal buck, not me.
BB..you alluded to kicking racks off deer when I said that hunters would bust 'em off with hammers.
Should I have accused you of "bust'em off"' of non-AR legal buck based on that comment ? That is what you did to me.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guess it's never going to stop[:'(]
Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Hpa may be "ban happy" and ban anyone speaking out against pgc or their deer plan, but thankfully this isnt hpa.
Bouncing around the various messegeboards, that sure does seem to be a common complaint. I've never bothered to register there. Not sure that I will.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should I have accused you of "bust'em off"' of non-AR legal buck based on that comment ? That is what you did to me.
The idea was floated that we should put a reverse point restriction where only spikes and forkies were legal and I said people would just bust off points until legal. You then replied as usual saying it isn't easy as you have tried kicking them off. Again, your words...I didn't make that up.

Rosenberry said no evidence is available either way. I wouldn't believe there to be any. Who is out there aging and measuring?? Who took pre-ar samples of enough bucks to be scientific? And how do you explain that I see more ar-legal 1.5 deer now and less percentage of spikes? They said the size of 2.5 year olds would increase because ofless late born fawns. Less spikes is a sign of less late borns, and that is exactly what I see, as well as more legal 1.5 bucks.

Quick Reply: Rifle season 2008 is history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.