Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Second Rut?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Second Rut?

Not that the first one was very evident, but I noticed a lot of movement a couple nights ago. Saw some bucks hanging with the does and so on. Also just read a story of a deer running through a classroom in Michigan.

Maybe this week is a good week to be out there?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Second Rut?

Might be the weather change also. Here in Pa. it has been in the 40s last 2 days from being in the under 20 for a while. But put out some Doe in heat and and see what happens.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

Might be the weather change also. Here in Pa. it has been in the 40s last 2 days from being in the under 20 for a while. But put out some Doe in heat and and see what happens.
i second that i guy i know gota nice 7 point in southern pa here were i am close to the mason dixon line he used a bleat call and he camewell within shooting distanceto him literally[:@]. made me mad lol. but this was dec. 2nd tuesday. so yes second cycle seems to be here.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

We had a quiet main rut this year it seems. LAst Saturday I saw a rub opened up by a buck that crosses the road where my budddy hunts. Monday morning I went by and he opened up 8 more trees! I will stop there and take pictures tomorrow. You will not believe what this buck did to this row of sumacs.

I am convinced that there will be another flurry of activity this week.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saw several very fresh rubs this morning while tracking and recovering a doe I arrowed. That just proves that the bucks are still ready but it's the does that control the second rut. Where the BD ratio is in line, the bulk of the second rut will be this years doe fawns.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buck doing some major grunting and a doe bleating often just last Saturday when I was on stand. It was the first time I heard a doe bleat in the wild. It sounded just like the can call. I thought at first my brother was using his can call until the buck chased the doe right by me. Really cool encounter!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where the BD ratio is in line, the bulk of the second rut will be this years doe fawns.
That is more pure nonsense from BTB. Young doe produce more male fawns than female fawns.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Where the BD ratio is in line, the bulk of the second rut will be this years doe fawns.
That is more pure nonsense from BTB. Young doe produce more male fawns than female fawns.
Gotta hijack every thread don't ya?

Not only are you outta line by disrupting yet another thread, you are way off base as well

I'll type real slow for ya so you can try to grasp this....

In areas where the BD ratio is in line, the great majority of adult does will have already been bred.

With me so far skippy?

28 days or so after their first estrous period, adult does that are not yet pregnant will come back into estrous. In an area of good BD ratio, there aren't many of those.

read and repeat BB. It'll sink in if you try real hard

this years doe fawns will come into estrous if their body weight has reached approximately 80-90 pounds in a healthy herd, doe fawnsmake the majority of estrous does in the secondary rut

Some good info on the secondary rut can be found here:
http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=105

Your statement that young does produce more male fawns than female fawns, while true, has no relevancewhen discussing the subject of the secondary rut

read the posts before you start clacking your keyboard next time.