Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit? >

How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit?

Old 04-02-2003, 06:00 PM

Default How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit?

I didn' t send off an app this year. I think maybe I' m worried that I would ruin the experience after the great time I had with my Dad a few years ago when I was drawn for the first time.
I suppose I should have sent it off anyway.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Spike

Default RE: How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit?

We send in every year...I don' t bother sending in as a non-resident, but my father does the six. We drew a permit in 1997 and I shot a cow for eating. It was a good time and I' d love to do it again...including shooting another small one. DL
Old 04-04-2003, 06:23 PM
car
Typical Buck

This is my second year for app. I went bear hunting in 2000 shot a small bear on the second day. The rest of the week I drove around and saw several moose. I have been app ever since.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 PM

The moose are certainly around in big numbers. My family has a remote camp north of Greenville on leased paper company land. In a single weekend up there I spotted 36 moose!

When I was drawn I honestly had more fun spending two days with my Dad scouting the area than I did for the 12 minutes I spent hunting! I also took a nice eating cow at 600 pounds dressed weight.

I owe everything I know and do as a hunter to my father as he is the one that shared his knowledge with me and had the patience to make sure I learned it the right way. Whether I' m hunting whitetail or going out for moose, spending that time with my Dad is the highlight of my year.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:20 AM
ARO

this is my fifth year applying, i now have four bonus points, maybe this will be the year!!!!

good luck to all!!!

ARO
Old 04-05-2003, 09:26 AM

I sent in again this year. I currently have 5 bonus points. Hopefully this will be the year that I get lucky.

My father applied in 1999 and got a nice bull. Waited his two years and applied again in 2002 and shot a large bull. He' s so lucky.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

I couldn' t apply this year because I drew two years ago and have to wait until next year but I did put my wife in and I am the sub permittee. I shot a 552 lb cow in Zone 1 in 2001. It was a blast and we hunted didn' t just ride around in the truck.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 AM

Whether right or wrong (if there is such a thing) I fear you are in the minority of those who hunt moose in Maine. I fully expect that 80 to 90 % of moose hunters in this state travel the back logging roads scanning cutoffs and remote locations by vehicle until they spot one. The percentage may be greater than that.
I applaud you though for, as the yutes of today would say, " kicking it old school" .

Mainehunter
Old 04-11-2003, 08:21 AM

I can' t apply either. Drew a tag in 2001 and killed a 920 pound bull. Still have some in the freezer. Both of my sons were able to apply however.

Mainehunter you are right. I hunted, didn' t road hunt but hunted, with my father and in 2 days we passed on 8 moose. Had a great time and many many fond memories. We called a decent bull to within 20 feet of us in a swamp on the first evening. He was grunting, stomping and snoring. Very exciting. Our goal was a 1000 pound bull with at least a 50 inch spread. Got the spread but not the weight. Next one will be a cow for eating.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:00 AM

just sitting here waiting for the notice i drew....took a 60 inch bull in 1999.

Quick Reply: How many of you applied for your Maine Moose Permit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.