Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 To late for rutting this weekend? >

To late for rutting this weekend?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

To late for rutting this weekend?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To late for rutting this weekend?

Well this weekend is probly my last shot at getting a buck in NY, is there any chance they will still be chasing or any of that going on? because if thats not going on i think im screwed cause these bucks are so nocturnal its ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To late for rutting this weekend?

I saw a nice buck following a doe yesterday around 11am, on the way to work.

I always see good rutting action the 1st week of NY gun season which usually doesn't start till around next week.

Last year I shot a nice 7 pt w/ a doe around the 25th. I think we still have some time.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

Well this weekend is probly my last shot at getting a buck in NY, is there any chance they will still be chasing or any of that going on? because if thats not going on i think im screwed cause these bucks are so nocturnal its ridiculous.
If you are a student of Charles Alsheimer, then the peak of the rut will hit the NE states...on the 23rd of November.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I sean a smal buck chasing a doe 2 days ago .
Then this morning a spike horn on a trail then this afternoon I seen a 4 pointer pushing does out of there beds and lookking for one in heat .
I blew my grunt call and it seamed to scare him , I then used thebleat can and it got him curious but he was realy tied up and on the move .
I believe this weekend esecialy up here Near the Canadian boarder will be the best weekend of the year .
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: E.P. Scott

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

If you are a student of Charles Alsheimer, then the peak of the rut will hit the NE states...on the 23rd of November.

I am, and Maine is looking pretty good for the next week. Can't freakin' wait.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

He's a quack [8D] the rut is slipping away here. Might catch one between does, but the chasing is pretty much over.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

He's a quack [8D] the rut is slipping away here. Might catch one between does, but the chasing is pretty much over.
I agree alshiehemers a quack, he said the rut was gonna hit late oct., last year ,because of a 8 year cycle in the moon , and I didnt see any rutting or chasing till the 13th lof Nov. last year.

I disagree that the rut is almost over though. I think we still have a good week left. I think bucks will be most likey to come to calls now too. They will be trying to seek out any last does that havent been bred.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:45 PM

Just stating some facts to help those that think that it's too late...

1. The most accurate fetal conception dates have a range of 20 days. No biologist will argue differently...they know better.

2. Bucks stay with a hot doe for up to 72hrs....that means, he can't physically be with every hot doe in one day in any given area. Does don't come into estrous all at the same time. Time and common sense are on your side. Be in the woods and render tending grunts as most bucks aspire to be the next Ron Jeremy of the woods and will almost always check out a tending grunt.

3. You absolutely positively will not ever score on a beast....by sitting on some forum thinking about coulda, whoulda, shoulda, etc. To kill deer you have to be out with the deer.

There is no rocket science.

The poeple that tell you the rut is over, are mostly the folks that got lucky and have scored on a big buck already.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

I know of 2 guys that both killed bucks chasing does this weekend.Last year i took a buck the first week in december chasing a doe.I get out there every chance i get.Like E.P said you cant kill them on the computer.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

The poeple that tell you the rut is over, are mostly the folks that got lucky and have scored on a big buck already
Or the ones that have spent over 300 hours in the woods so far and have seen every phase of the rut. Just calling it like I see it in my neck of the woods. Not going to keep me from staying out of the woods by any means. I haven't scored on a big buck yet either. I also believe you make your own luck. Rut or no rut they are still out there to be killed.

Quick Reply: To late for rutting this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.