Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Almost a Statistic This Morning >

Almost a Statistic This Morning

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Almost a Statistic This Morning

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Almost a Statistic This Morning

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

Sproul, you want to sell any of those summit stands you don't use?
i have 1 summit stand, my brother wants it for his son who is 13.

i cant see him using it,if he does not, yes, i will sell it to you.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, I have a Summit Goliath, absolutely LOVE that climber. Wouldn't buy anything but a summit climber- light, quiet, easy to use, and COMFORTABLE. I also hunt high, same range as you. My take on it is this... I spend alot of money on being scent free, spend alot of time scouting, spend alot of hours in the woods. If I can get 25 or 30 ft up and out of a deer's sense of sight and smell, I have him beat instead of him busting me. Nothing sucks more (except seeing no deer) than to sit all day waiting for the moment a good buck walks in front of you only to have him smell you or see something isn't right(6ft tall mass growing out the tree just a few feet of the ground), blow and run off just out of range.
I watched a young 4 pointer come from downwind of me. I was 28' up an oak tree. He noticed the shape of the tree wasn't right and kept looking. He would look away briefly only to make quick glances at me trying to catch me moving, he must have done this at least 30 times. If a young deer can pick me out from that height an older more wise deer will definitely bust you if you hunt only a few feet off the ground. Being high beats their two most acute senses (smell and sight). Overcome them and you increase your chances at success.
yes, getting high takes a lot of the wind game out.

i hunt where i know just about which way buck will come, not always.

if you are SKYLINED at 15 ft which i hunt,a buck could pick you out if you MOVE.

not moving, not likely.

i also pick a big fat tree, like hollow oak.PICKING A BIG FAT TREE WITH SUMMIT STAND IS NOT POSSIBLE

this way you can be at 10 ft and no SKYLINED or 15 ft

most hunters never think of being SKYLINED,dad taught us this at 12 yrs old.

problem with pa is the tree limbs are very low.

if you get above 15 ft, you cant see under the canopy.

in OPEN areas, yes, you can get high but i never hunt open areas.

in archery, getting high makes shot very hard.

most of time in RIFLE season your shots can be long, if you want to.

like 100 yds.

being low is no problem unless you want the buck to get close ,which most hunters dont.

very seldom, if any i get busted at 15 ft....

if i did, i would do as you said.

i smoke my clothes each day i hunt in my yard at home, i use pine needles and oak leaves in a pan,hold my clothes up over fire,then in my burlap bag to truck.
'
Old 11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Statistically one in 4 hunters will fall out of a tree sometime in their hunting life. Some of those falls are fatal and others are life changing. Bad odds and caution must be used as well as all appropriate safety devices. the older we get the more likely we will have a problem. I never use pegs anymore and all my loc ons are via climbing sticks. I do use one Summit and always use the harness.
well said,

here is what i see.

if you pick a tree with less BARK,you are asking for trouble.

if you pick a day when ICE is on tree,watch out.

as it gets colder,trees get slippery.

yes, those peg steps or the tie on ones are death trap.

best advice i can give is,MAKE SURE TREE HAS BARK ON IT,NOT THE NICE SMOOTH ONES.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

One fall out of a climber,one fall out of a ricketty old wooden stand and twomotor bike accidents by age 26= NO MORE CIMBERS FOR ME!I used a safety lanyard once and IT SAVED MY LIFE but ya knowI was so shaken as i tried to get back to the halfspun climber that my hunt was over and I went home. I now use a lader stand. I hear guys say that it isinexperience or a newbe using one that mythoughts on that is if I have to perfect a stand, hunt a certain way and just can't move freely worrying than its not worth it.

nice thing about ladder stand is, you come in the dark of morning and up steps you go,down at night, no problem.

i love mine,would not use anything else.

yes, its a pain to move buti put put 2 of them in different spots and that covers my whole season.

here is trick to, i bought those cheap ones at PICKS,p is really d.they are 49 dollars each.

i took a PLASTIC BOAT SEAT OR YOU CAN USE THOSE SEATS YOU USE FOR FOOTBALL GAMES TOO.

I STRAP THEM DOWN WITH MY RACHET STRAPS.

boy, i can sit all day in one of those,the boat seat is best, get one with high back.

i spray the seat camo, they are usually grey color.

drill holes in the seat so rain can run out..

Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey sproul,
Once again, If you want to get rid of your summit climber, let me know, send me a PM letting me know what you would want for it. I am looking to get another climber for my fiance, There is an area on State Game Lands I'd like to take her but I need a light climbing stand for her. I also have a 2 person Ladder but that is on Private Property and I know someone will steal it if I take it on Game Lands. Let me know!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey sproul,
Once again, If you want to get rid of your summit climber, let me know, send me a PM letting me know what you would want for it. I am looking to get another climber for my fiance, There is an area on State Game Lands I'd like to take her but I need a light climbing stand for her. I also have a 2 person Ladder but that is on Private Property and I know someone will steal it if I take it on Game Lands. Let me know!
right now, those ladder stands no one wants.

they leave them alone,some what.

yes, 2 man stand is BEST,i wish i would have bought one instead of 1 man.

you canlay down on them and have more room to move, THATS SECRET TO HUNTING, TO BE ABLE TO GET COMFORTABLE.

i should know tonight if his son is going to want it,will pm you on tuesday after i get in from archery.

i just saw show in canada,guy was using same ladderstand as mine,COMFORT ZONE.he was up 15 ft and had 3 bucks walk near his stand and he was in the OPEN too, not like i hunt here in pa.

47 years at it and i very seldom EVER got busted at 12/15 ft high.

i see hunters down on ridge etc.they get up 25 ft,i can see why they are level with top of ridge at 25 ft.

if they would just POSTION their stand up higher on ridge,they could hunt at 12/15 ft.

i see it all time.remember, most i see doing this are rifle hunters too.

a rifle can shoot easy out to 200 yards or more.

by time a buck winds you, he is history at that distance .

i have had deer walk right by me at 8 ft in air, yes, 8 ft.for 25 years i never owned a treestand, i used a 1/2 plywood board with v- cuts in each end and put it in between 2 trees.

i would cut 2 trees,dead ones,small bag of nails and small boards i brought from home, nailed those boards on for steps on 2 dead trees, that was my ladder to get up 8 ft.

i had doe and buck run right under my feet while we were driving deer,so close, i could not even shoot

i just shake my head when i see hunters in their 20s up 20/25 ft in area
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be 30 in December. When I first started using a climber, I had a loggy bayou. I used a safety belt when I hunted from it. Thankfully, I never had a fall.

Now, I use a summit and full body harness. I'm attached from the ground up, and than back again. Never, will I climb without my harness.I love to hunt too much to make a bonehead mistake of not wearing my harness. Every season, you read about guys falling out and getting busted up pretty bad, or worse, dying. All because they think they're too tough or macho to wear a harness.

Does anyone realize that a fall of 20ft for a 180lb guy means hitting the ground at some 25mph? Not pretty.

I'm glad you're OK and made it out alive, but, I do not feel bad for you. Where the hell was your safety harness?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear you are ok. Make sure you always tell somebody where you are hunting. I never hunt alone anymore bevcause I had a similar accident.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty scary ,
How soon we do forget .
Though you guys are right abought the age thing .
I had are very near fall with my lone wolf lock on .
I had it all set up so I thought .Went to dig it in for stability and all of the suddden the whole stand just fell .
Not sure how but I manage to grab a limb the instant it let go .
One other time years later same stand I lost my balance while standing and trying to get a shot at a deer .I smartly had my saftey harness on and just dangle off the side for a couple minutes until I climebed back in it ,
Realy gets you thinking .
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: Almost a Statistic This Morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.