Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Do you think this will ruin my hunting? >

Do you think this will ruin my hunting?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do you think this will ruin my hunting?

Old 01-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do you think this will ruin my hunting?

I own 40 acres of land. My property is in close proximatey to town. The town borders my property to the right, but between my property and the town is a swamp area that can't be built on. To the rear of my property they are building a development of 62 houses, with a road that is going to run right along my back border. To my left border is another wooded property, and another parcel of vacant land.

My question is this. Do you think the development will hinder my hunting or make it better? I know people who are surrounded by houses and yet get deer every year. I'm not sure about what to do.

Old 01-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think this will ruin my hunting?

I bet it'll push a few deer in on your property...Problem is that if you shoot one and it runs off your land you may be in for a fight.

Old 01-22-2002, 01:58 PM

As long as there'ss plenty of woods nearby, you'll do fine. 40 acres is more than enough to keep them bedding and feeding there. With the swampland, it should be even better. I have 20 acres in the middle of a town, but there's large forrest on either sides. They make their way back and forth between the two through my property. They pass through smaller lots, but mine is the largest, and it's the only one they seem to like bedding on. There's always a group of 10-12 bedding in the swamp between my pop's house and mine. I'd say 40 acres is plenty to keep them there, as long as they can escape to larger tracts if they feel the need.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

My guess is that it will get worse overall. It will get a bit worse from intrusion of the new development, and because there is probably a decent chance one of the new homeowners has his eye on hunting there. But it will get a little better from the standpoint of a new funnel effect. I think it will net to a moderate negative impact.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sell it and go North and buy yourself a large piece of forever wild.....
Old 01-23-2002, 07:06 AM

nah, it wont hurt your hunting mike....i got my deer while swimming in my backyard condominium pool...while sipping a pina colada, i picked up my 44 mag and got mine...
Old 01-24-2002, 12:09 PM

houses bordering your land? forget it, you're finished! Kids running all over the place, car doors slamming, dogs leaving scent in the woods, etc....sell and move to Stueben county..best move I ever did! Total privacy and huge deer!