HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NJ Deer Road Kill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/263270-nj-deer-road-kill.html)

ebaybow 09-15-2008 11:42 AM

NJ Deer Road Kill

Let's say you're driving down a NJ road and there is a fresh killed deer.
The state is not responsible for picking it up, who will?
Is it your responsibility to get a road kill permit to harvest that deer?

salty444 09-15-2008 01:27 PM

RE: NJ Deer Road Kill

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it

jerseyhunter 09-18-2008 06:28 PM

Is it your responsibility to get a road kill permit to harvest that deer?
After you pick up the deer you are supposed to go to the nearest police station or Conservation office and they will issue you a free tag to posses the deer. The meat must be consumed within 30 days and you are not allowed to keep any headgear.
It's all in the digest.

Phil from Maine 09-19-2008 06:20 PM

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it
I had picked one up one year up here that had run into the back of a trailer truck. The only thing that was wrong with it was a broken neck and a gamewarden had to come shoot it.. That one sure tasted good..;)

bigwilly11189 09-21-2008 12:55 PM

I saw one get killed yesterday driving south on 95 I think just south of maybe Exit 8 down towards Bordentown. It came across our lanes about 100 yards ahead of me, jumped the median and one its way down met a car at 80mph and the deer did cartwheels in the air about 20 feet or so high!! It was crazy. I saw glass or plastic from maybe the headlights shatter in the area. And people don't want you to hunt deer in NJ...go figure. I bet that person wish there had been none that day. Plus as I'm driving I'm pointing out all the does to my wife along the road at 1:30 in the afternoon.

ebaybow 11-19-2008 07:05 PM

[blockquote]quote:

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it [/blockquote]
I had picked one up one year up here that had run into the back of a trailer truck. The only thing that was wrong with it was a broken neck and a gamewarden had to come shoot it.. That one sure tasted good..;)
No time for fishing this year!! But the wife likes my checks.

Can't beat free deer.
Not much time for hunting and fishing, but my son, myself and my wife like her big checks.

piney 11-20-2008 01:40 PM

Yes, you need a permit to possess the deer for consumption only. My question is, What are you supposed to do with the antlers if its a buck? Thepolice officer that gave you the possession permit probably won't know what to do with them either.

ebaybow 11-20-2008 01:43 PM

We know you can't posses the antlers. Do you think the police have an antler saw in the trunk?

2robinhood 11-21-2008 05:03 PM

Simp 11-21-2008 06:00 PM

I've picked up 1 deer that had been hit, and that will be the last deer that I pick up ! The meat was soooo bruised that I had to stop and cut her down and dispose of her. Wasn't worth my time.