Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Dealing with black bears while deer hunting >

Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

I will stick with what I said that you have a far better chance falling out of a tree or getting hurt numerous different ways. Chances of being chased by a bear is virtually nill! Sure it's possible, as it's also possible to get hit by lightning or winning the lottery. Odds of either happening to you are not very good though.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

steve I'm not douting what you said. Your right, but here in jersey I saw my first bear in the woods 35 years ago, the second one was about 7 years ago. Within these past 5 years I see them on a pretty much regular basis. This state will not have a bear hunt so the problem just keeps getting worse. [:@]It'll take someone getting hurt before Gov. Corslime does something about it.[:'(]
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Steve863,

I can put on a safety belt, watch where I step, or what tree I put my stand in. These things are somewhat under my control. What I can't control is a 350 lb bear not wanting to move out of my way, or deciding it wants to check out my camo pattern, close up.

This is what I am wondering about.

I know there are numerous ways to get hurt out there in the woods. The danger is part of the fun of hunting but I feel that understanding these dangers is key to having control over them.

Yes, you can get hit by lighting, but why don't you run around in an open field with a metal pole during a thunderstorm? You don't because even though the chances are still very small that you will get hit, you still undertand that this increases your risk of getting fried. I understand bear attacks are VERY rare in this area, but I still would like to know how to handle a potential situation.

As for the lottery, got any pointers because that is still a mystery to me!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I live in northern New England and and routinely hunt Maine New Hampshire and Vermont. I see loads of bears and haven't had any problems with them. They are solitary shy creatures that run whenever they sense man. With black bears, however, when they attack (rarely) their intent is to eat you. When attacked by a grizz you can play dead and they usually will walk off and leave you alone. With a blacky if they attack... you are lunch and they won't stop if you quit fighting. First of all if there are a ton of bears around I wouldn't be placing bait and walking into the area in the dark. That is just asking for an encounter with a habituated bear that is hungry and you are in the way of his meal. There is no way to out run a bear so don't think it will be like gentle ben with the bear loping along at a trot. A bear can easily keep up with a deer over short distances and they can run at a speed that would amaze you for hours. Just ask any bear hound hunter if they can move. Without a bear season NJ will eventually have to get back to it due to human encounters and a rising bear poulation.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

bears will usually just leave. they are pretty curious sometimes. I've had them just sit down and "watch" a few times.... just enjoy them. and respect them, you'll be fine
Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

On time while hunting in PA the guy I was with had a bear climb the apple tree his stand was in. True story…. He was up an old tree way out on a large branch. He saw a bear come into the orchard, walk up to his tree and start to climb. He sat there still and when the bear came to the split it swung over to the side he was on. He still watched and the bear climbed towards him. It had a 50/50 chance of going on to another branch but didn't and when the bear got almost up to the bottom of the stand the guy yelled. The bear jumped out of the tree and ran off huffing. I heard all the commotion and went over there to find out what was going on. He was pretty shook up and decided to stay out of that orchard the rest of the night.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe people are afraid of bears.You have a far better chance of getting killed by bees or falling out of tree than being attacked by a bear.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

As you've read several times already, the chance of being attacked by a black bear in the fall are slim. However, your question was what you should do if you are attacked. I've read of many different ways to handle this, but what I've read/heard most is if it's a black bear - fight back. If it's a Grizzly - play dead.

If you are confronted with a black bear that doesn't seem to want to leave the area, you should slowly move away. Don't make any movements that could possibly show aggression. If the bear chases (which is unlikely in the fall), I've heard that if you run, and drop something as you run away (back pack, gun, anything) the bear may stop and sniff around what you dropped fora while.

Just so you know, none of what I have said is from experience, just some things I've read. For the most part, you don't have much to worry about this late in the year.

Just have fun and watch your path and you'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see black bears on a regular basis.I have them in my garbage all the time and I see them in the woods frequently.I've walked up on sows with cubs numerous times and even had cubs climb the tree I was in.Bears are bluffers.They'll snap their teeth and huff and puff butI've never been in a situation where I felt threatened.Stand you're ground and they'll run the other way.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your sweating it that bad, wait until light! Fart or something. When I do that I can definitle clear and area!

Quick Reply: Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.