Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny rut 08

Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Spike

Default ny rut 08

wen will the best part of the rut be this yeair in ny????????????
Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Default RE: ny rut 08

There are many factors that make that a inexsact science, However prerut activity ie scraping, searching,sparing generalley starts the the last week of OCT. and goes threw the first two weeks of NOV. then the actual RUT ( wear breeding takes place) runs around mid to late NOV. Keep in mind these are just ranges, every area is different and there are numorus factors that can play into that the weather the buck to doe ratio the moon phases etc. etc. etc. SO my best suggestion would be to climb into your tree stand in mid OCT. and don't come down until early DEC.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

After reading and studying all the moon phases , and also assuming the weather is normal to cold in November and I only had a week to 10 days off to hunt .
I,d be in my stand from 11/7/08 to 11/16/08 and stay there from dawn till dusk .
Again there can ge many agravating variables including , weather , moon phase , hunting pressure ,
scent control , etc, the trick is to get in before the doe does settle down , to let the persuing buck breed her .

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

From what I have been reading from numerous sources it is predicted that the the chasing phase of the rut will be at it's highest during Nov 13th to Nov 20th. I hope to get one with the bow but if nothing suitable presents itself I guess I'll be scheduling off work that week.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM

By many accounts, the breeding phase of the rut will begin after the opening day of the gun season (in the southern zone). What effect do you think this will have on the overall breeding?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody can nail down the exact rut and its intensity year to year. Look, generally the rut in NY falls from roughly the last week of October to the 2nd week of Nov. If your going to plan for extended hunting that is the best time to be in the woods period. Shy of that, if you love to hunt, regardless of rut or not, you will be in the woods from the time the season starts till you fill your tag or the fat lady sings.Good luck
Old 09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Spike

Where i hunt most ofthe big bucks get shot around Thanksgiving.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ADK hunter where abouts do you hunt? I grew up just outside of Malone. Our club is roughly 1600 acres, nothing but swamps and hardwoods the nearest farm filed is 10 miles or more away. I learned to hunt the mountain which in my mind is the hardest be far to pinpoint and shoot a big buck.We always found the mid Novenber was the best rut activity up there as well althouhg as I mentioned in order to be consistant you need to spend as much time as possible in the woods