Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WV Hunting Lease??? >

WV Hunting Lease???

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Hunting Lease???

Old 08-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV Hunting Lease???

I just picked up 60 acres of PRIME hunting land in Monongalia County in WV. The property is in close proximity of over 300 additional acres that we own. I am considering leasing this property to a group for deer hunting. Because of the way the property is laid out it can easily accomodate 4 hunters, and probably up to 5 or 6. The property is completely bordered by private ground that is hunted sparingly. I have an idea of how much I think it should lease for, but I am looking for other opinions?? Does anybody have any experience with hunting leases?? The property also has an older farm house on it. I was thinking about renting the farm house out. Or should I incorporate it into the hunting lease?? Just wondering. Tom..
Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: WV Hunting Lease???

How much would you be asking for the lease. I'm from Southern, WV and I have relatives in GA that come to Wyoming Co. to hunt with me. We may be looking for a place to rifle hunt this fall.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I leased it out to four hunters on Sunday afternoon. I leased it for $1,000 a year. I thought that was a pretty good price. The property has fantasitic deer hunting. It is not a problem to see 5 or 6 bucks a day. And the turkeys are thick. The fellow I leased it to was very happy. He said each hunter would have $250 a piece for the property. Tom.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Spike

That is a very, very good price. They are lucky. I would have definately took you up on that. Did you count in the cabin as well for a place to stay at? Let me know if they get any bucks from there this year!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The property has a farm house on it. And no, I did not lease them the house for that. There is no doubt they will shoot some bucks, does, and turkeys on the property. I commonly see three or four racked bucks every time I drive on the place. Plus we own a good bit of property that is next door to this piece. This was just an additional piece that we would not be hunting, and I wanted to regulate it with just a few hunters. Tom.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Wow that went much higher than I thought it would. $17 an acre is what you would pay for prime hunting land in Ohio - not WV. Congrats, you made an outstanding deal. As long as they are happy is all that counts. It does, however, make my WV hunting lease - 3600 acres for $8000 or a little over $2/acre look like an outstanding deal now.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Spike

Are you still leasing this land?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

Wow that went much higher than I thought it would. $17 an acre is what you would pay for prime hunting land in Ohio - not WV. Congrats, you made an outstanding deal. As long as they are happy is all that counts. It does, however, make my WV hunting lease - 3600 acres for $8000 or a little over $2/acre look like an outstanding deal now.
prime land in wv is no more than $4 an acre
hereis a whole list
http://www.meadwestvacohunting.com/HuntingLeases/AvailableLeases

but to each his own
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I have to chalk it up to different people seeing things differently. Personally I think $1,000 is a great price for the person leasing the ground. My taxes tihs year was $850, and the insurance I carry in case someone that I lease the property to gets hurt-cost an additional $400. That is a total of $1200. Fortunately I paid cash for the grouind, so a payment is not involved here. And my taxes will go down considerably next year.

Now these four guys have complete access for an entire year!! And no one else will be allowed to hunt the property. For only $250 a year. If they had to buy their own hunting ground that $250 would not even pay the interest on the loan for one month!!!

Would some one please(please, please)post 60 acres of prime private ground in OHIO for $1,000. I will lease that from them in a heart beat!! Heck a 5 day hunt on private ground in OHIO is $2,000-$3.000. And there will probably be 20-30 people hunt that same ground in one year.

I realize that a lot of people do not own property. But if or when you do then you will act differently. It is easy to have an opinion about something. But it is different when you are paying for it.

Since I leased the ground last week I have had several inquiries. I have even turned down higher offers. Tom.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

3600 acres for $8,000 would be a steal for some one. How much are your taxes for one year?? How much is your insurance to cover your *** in case the hunters who lease your ground get hurt??

At $500 an acre your land would be worth $1,800,000. The interest payment alone per month would be close to your leasing price. And that would not include taxes and insurance. You should not have any problem leasing that out. Even if the property is not the best hunting around. And the property I leased is some of the best hunting around. Tom.

Quick Reply: WV Hunting Lease???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.