HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Sighting rifle .30 06 in NJ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/237109-sighting-rifle-30-06-nj.html)

Ranger1966 03-12-2008 03:14 PM

Sighting rifle .30 06 in NJ

:eek:I am new here.
Could you please help me to find a shooting range in Northern NJ for a 30 06 rifle.

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-13-2008 03:19 PM

RE: Sighting rifle .30 06 in NJ

Only range I know of in Nothern NJ is CHERRY RIDGE in Oakridge/West Milford area. You would have to join, not cheap, not expensive if you shoot alot, the range goes out too 300 yards, there is a muzzleloader, shotgun, handgun range as well as rifle besides the large 300 yard range. Give them a call

Ranger1966 03-13-2008 06:28 PM

Thanks BOWHUNTERCOPi will check that place.

nyorange 03-13-2008 07:13 PM

I'm also a member at Cherry Ridge but the time it takes to get there and the time you waste setting up targets and waiting for the line to clear really limits the time I go there. Really only go when I plan on shooting abunch of guns all day. For an hour or two I would just take the 30-06 and a 22 to shoot when the barrel on the big gun is cooling down to Davis Sports Shop in Goshen, New York.Rent a booth at their 100 yard indoor range, shoot all you want regardless of the weather,change targets whenever you feel like it, and send your target down the range electronically instead of hiking out there like you do at cherry ridge and also you don't have to bring your own target stand. And no range nazis either. For me its the same hour drive to get to either one but I can get twice as much shooting done at Davis as I can at Cherry ridge simply because I can change the targets at will. Really only stay a member for political reasons. As for the two hundred yd and 300 yd ranges,Cherry Ridge is it. If you do decide to go just remember that NEW JERSEY gun owners CANNOT BRING HANDGUNS INTO NEW YORK EVER, only rifles. check laws and regs.For pistols stick to cherry ridge or paterson. Hope it helps.

Ranger1966 03-13-2008 08:00 PM

Thanks, this will definitely help,since I am thinking of purchasing a CZ 550FS .30 06 and would like to be able to try it somewhere.

liquidorange 03-15-2008 09:11 AM

you could always cross the river into pennsy and use one of there free gamelands ranges. if you can travel south try fort dix. easy to get in and the fee wont rape you or require hours of range work to be a member.

Ranger1966 03-15-2008 09:37 AM

Thanks liquidorange, could you please give me the names of this places,so I will be able tolook them up on line.

halfrack VIII 03-15-2008 08:10 PM

quakertown gun club is close and reasonable priced

thndrchiken 03-16-2008 10:38 AM

To use the PA game commision ranges you are supposed to have a PA hunting license. I was a member at Cherry Ridge for several years, I did not renew my membership several years ago for a few reasons. The membership fees seem to keep going up, had to travel almost an hour each way to get there and if you don't get there early than you have the other members who think they deserve to have three benches all to themselve and give a lot of attitude if you ask to have one bench cleared when the range is busy. Oh and let's not forget the Range Nazi's. Some of the range officers are way cool, they'll come over to talk and offer advise others think the range is theirs and want to bust your chops over every little thing. I realize that the 100yd range is split for muzzle loader, center fire and rimfire but if the center fire section is full they bust your chops and won't let you set up on the rimfire end even though it is on the same range. On the plus side you don't need to work X amount of events to be able to be a member like Central Jersey. There are two range work weekends a year and they are great for getting to know the range officers and that can build rapor with the Nazi's but not often. The range is located off of Canistear Rd in Highland Lakes, membership drives are held the first Sunday of every month. I'm not sure of what the membership fees are now but my last one was $ 125 and I think it's a $ 50 inition fee, may have gone up. Check out www.anjrpc.orgfor the details.

Pawildman 03-16-2008 10:57 AM

A word of caution or heads-up about the PA ranges on State Gamelands. The weekends are usually pretty busy at these places, and really tough close to hunting seasons. Your best bet is weekdays, and in any case, the earlier in the mornings you can get there, the better. As far as having to be a PA hunting license holder, I'm not sure about that. I've never seen a Game warden or anyone a question anyone's state of residence when shooting there. You don't have to have a hunting license to shoot there, as far as I'm aware.