HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Sighting rifle .30 06 in NJ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/237109-sighting-rifle-30-06-nj.html)

liquidorange 03-16-2008 01:54 PM

RE: Sighting rifle .30 06 in NJ

To use the PA game commision ranges you are supposed to have a PA hunting license.
your supposed to have a hunting or a fishing license but i have never been checked in 30 years. unlike new jersey youll find pennsylvania welcomes sportsmen and aint all uptight. no more than 3 rounds and no rapid fire allowed. clean up after yourself and its all free. why new jersey cant have a few rifle and pistol ranges is ridiculous. i would never join one of those range clubs. a couple of dirt mounds shouldnt cost an arm and leg. if you got a day to mess around there is a range on rt-6 in pennsylvania . just cross the bridge at 206 into milford PA. its right on rt6 about 20 minutes down the road in tafton-hawley. you could always hit gander mountain up in scranton too while your there. FORT DIX RANGE 14 1-609-562-4676

Ranger1966 03-16-2008 07:32 PM

thank you very much for all the input,you have helped me to make up my mind, I am ordering CZ 550 FS tomorrow.

RuLzU 03-17-2008 12:30 AM

I use the DAVIS SPORT SHOP in GOSHEN myself.. well .. i shouldnt say i use them.. ive been there one.. this past fall sighting in a new .308 BLR i got.. and its AWSEME. the indoor range.. get a booth like the other dood said.. sorry forgot your NICKNAME, its like 20$ and u can stay as long as you like. for me its like a 2+ hour ride.. a lil pain in the butt, but im dieing to go back.. maybe this wed. im just looking for a buddy to come up for the ride with me.. might as well make it an all day thing.. bring 3 guns, then hitup the big mall there and goto that super walmart and buy some stuff or even hitup cabelas on the way back.. im on longisland.. so its gotta be an all day trip.. probably a 2 1/2 hour trip if i remember correctly.
ok
thanks
goodluck.. i might go this wed .. or the next.. maybe see you there..

DougE 03-17-2008 02:32 PM

You don't need,nor are you supposed to have a pa hunting lisence to use a PGC range.

Ranger1966 03-17-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks you very much I will do that.

nyorange 03-17-2008 08:29 PM

One other thing for you to remember about Cherry Ridge or any other outdoor range, If you plan on doing any realshooting you will need some equipment. Make sure you bring a rifle rest and a spotting scope and buy or make a target stand. Seen a whole bunch of guys come out there with 4x deer hunting scopes start shooting at a 100 yds and have to wait 15- 30 minutes till the line is cleared and walk out to their target to see where their bullets are actually hitting. Trying to sight in a rifle without a spotting scope is a slow and laborious process unless you have at least a 16x power scope. If you got a plain old 3-9x or less invest in a spotting scope or at least a lot of those expensive shoot n' see targets.Trying to see a black hole in a black target at a 100 yds with out a spotting scope gets old really really fast. If you are oneof those sight it in once kind of guys and its okay if you can hit a pie plate at 100 yds then you can get by w/o it, otherwise get some gear before you go. (nothing wrong with thatas all my shots at deer are under 100yds anyway just happen to like a bit more accuracy) Also as a NJ resident you definitely should join Cherry Ridgeif for nothing else but tomake a political statement and stay on top of the legislationscene in NJ. For anyone else in NJ, especially those former members who have let their memberships lapse,please consider rejoining even if you don't want to shoot there. They do have non shooting memberships that are alot cheaper and the gun lobby in NJ needs any help it can get. (Cherry Ridge is the undeclared leader of the gun rights lobby in NJ)Take care all.

Pawildman 03-18-2008 07:19 AM

Good point about a target holder. Sooner or later, the holders at the ranges get pretty shot up and are difficult to use. I have found a solution I've been using for years and it works very well. It is simply an old aluminum framed folding lawnchair. Tape a piece of cardboard to the inside of the frame of the back, and then tape your targets to that. It folds up, you can take it anywhere, and place it at any distance you want. When you are done shooting, fold it up and take it home with you. A rock or log across the legs on the ground will secure it on windy days. Really works great !!

FAFARONE 03-26-2008 12:34 PM

Try Fort Dix "Range 14". They have a good size range and I believe it goes out to 300 yards. I shot there before and nobody bothered us. You need to wait till they cease fire for target changes so it can be a little while if you get there just as they resume shooting. Last I knew, it was only $50.00 per year and they stamp your fishing license so you can fish there too. You can also hunt there too if you have the specific zone permit.