Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wolves in Mass

Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wolves in Mass

I don't know if anyone saw this article in the Boston Globe....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/03/first_wolf_foun.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1
Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wolves in Mass

Very interesting. Nice find.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been waiting to see if anyone would post it, as it was in the Bangor Daily News 2 days ago. They said they thought it might of traveled down threw Western Maine and into Mass from there some how. The problem is we do not have wolves in Maine. At least that is what they say. Also keep an eye out for coyotes growing larger than normal as up here they said coyotes have been breeding with wolves.. They said earlier that wolves in Maine would not last as they can not stop the 2 from breeding..
Old 03-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy shot a 70lb coyote several years ago... It looked like a wolf... mane and all....
There is no doubt inmy mind they are breeding.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a link about this on Field & Stream.com, they said that they had migrated down through Vermont and Northern NY from Canada. This seems plausible, but there have been rumors for years about NY state Dept. of Environmental Conservation releasing wolves and mountain lions, so who knows.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are definately mttn lions here in MA... no doubt
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
jf5

This is old news that re-surfaced, I guess cuz DNA results are back.

There is something wrong with this picture though. Reports have it killing but not eating?? And also, wolves are pack animals, strange to see one alone so far from realwolf territory.

The source of this animal is suspect...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dna tests and the like all says it is a wild one. Where ever it came from no one knows? 2 has been killed in maine, 1 by a hunter in Western Maine and the other by a trapper in a trap in Eastern Maine. As a rule though we do not have any though except for the 1 a hunter got jail time for shooting.. Something we took a note to was the wolves can not survive here for long as they have been breeding with coyotes. That is sort of a good thing as the Feds can't regulate us because of it..
Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

but there have been rumors for years about NY state Dept. of Environmental Conservation releasing wolves and mountain lions, so who knows.
Yep - they trade other states turkeys and deer for them - then when the black helicopters couldn't handle them all, they loaded them on trucks which happened to break down on the thruway. The people who stopped to help disappeared and have not been heard from. Know its true - it was on the internet and on a paper I read in the grocery store check out. And my cousins girlfriends mother heard their neighbor tell their son they heard about it at the coffee shop.

Steve - I have a bridge for you - just pm me.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM

I grew up in the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts and if there is anywhere in the Commonwealth you would expect to find wolves it would be there. I spent alot of time in the woods and never saw any sign of wolves or even coyotes for that matter. There were rumors that there were bobcats around but no one ever produced one. This was back in the 1960's so things might have changed but I sure find the story about wolves hard to believe.

Quick Reply: Wolves in Mass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.