Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NYS crosbow petition >

NYS crosbow petition

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS crosbow petition

Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default NYS crosbow petition

Hi,
My name is Rich K. and I’m looking for some help to distribute and get signatures on a petition throughout the State of New York to change the law on the use of crossbows for the physically handicapped and those over 62 years of age.
If you live in New York State and would be interested, contact me at [email protected]

Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NYS crosbow petition

What are you tring to get changed?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Right now the only way you can use a crossbow is if you are so handicapped you require a blow tube to use the trigger. A guy I know uses a tab on his bow that he pulls with his teeth.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

just about everyone i know here in pahas crossbow and they are killing some real nice bucks.
i see archery season to be as huge as first week of rifle deer season soon.
i am even seeing hunters driving deer with bows now,the treehunters dont like it because they spook deer.

i was at bowshop in lock haven and out of 7 hunters who came in,5 used crossbows.
crossbows are in every home now.

i have oneand love to shoot in my yard at target.its fun.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

Sproulman,
I think Rich is looking to get crossbowapproved for guys older than 62, not the general hunting public. I would not use one because I am healthy and can shoot a bow. When I get to the age that I cannot pull the bow, I would like to have achoice to use a crossbow.

Rich,
I sent you an email. I am all for it. I hunt with 2 guys that are in there 70's. They cannot pull enough poundage any longer. Excellent life long hunters. It's sad to see them not be able to do something they love. They still go, but the only way they are going to get a deer with the bow is if the deer is blind.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM

To a bar: the reason he wants it changed is because he still loves to hunt and has a passion that has been with him since a young boy, that he has passed along to me his son and other sons, he still loves to come to the camp and tell stories from 35 tyears ago BUT the body is telling him no
after 2 hip replacements, a heartattack, prostate cancer, he needs rotator cuff surgey but the heart may not be strong enough to take the surgey,
There are most likely hundreds to thousand of guys like this in this statewho gave up archery hunting becasue they couldnt hold/pull back a compound.
Our state is one of the few left that you CAN NOT hunt with a crossbow.
SO THAT IS WHY HE WANTS IT CHANGED![:@]
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be allowed during gun season or atleast latemuzzle loader. Or even its own season... During late season you can use muzzleloader or bow, so for rifle whats wrong with xbow and gun, what is NY scared of, we had like 8 hunting related accidents all of last year... make a hunter ed class if you have, to but i think its stupid to not allow
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

here in pa. you can use crossbow in archery season if you huntin certain countys.

other countys, you have to be DISABLED.

now, in rifle season you can use crossbow ANYWHERE,no restrictions on health.

same in late muzzleloader season.

now, the recurve/compound archery hunters dont like the crossbow being used in ARCHERY SEASON.

there reason is it puts MORE hunters in woods,they dont like that.

am i seeing this, yes, i see more hunters in archery seasonwith crossbow NOWthan i do with a compound.

crossbow is still a close weapon, 30 yds,they are heavy, make noise and are not cheap to buy and they do break if you own a compound crossbow with wheels etc.

so, why own one over a compound bow used now..
YOU DONT NEED TO PULL BOW BACK AND SHOOT WHILE AIMING AT DEER.THIS IS PLUS FOR SOMEONE OUT OF SHAPE OR CANT PULL A BOW.

you cock bow, arrow in and aim and shoot.

that is only advantage to crossbow.

you still have to practice and beyond 20 yds,you can be less accurate than a compound bow if you are not in shape to lift the heavy crossbow and if you did not practice.

weight of crossbow is tough to master ,someone above 60 and not in shape, its hard to hold it.

heck, i wobble all over trying to hold bow freehand in my yard target shootingtoo and i practice a lot.

a little wobble and your arrow will hit many inchs off center out at 30 yds

i had very different view of crossbow before i shot it at 30 yds.

i thought they were just like gun, boy, i was wrong.

crossbow is a lot of fun to shoot, i shoot my horton hunter all time.
i broke my limbs,cost me another 125 dollars to fix,yes, limbs do SPLIT from shooting or from AGE from what horton told me.

so, there is cost with crossbow, you have string,cams,limbs that need replaced.
you have to take it to bow shop, so, make sure you have shop nearby or go with ones that dont break, get a EXCALIBER,they are recurve bow and no wheels etc and YOU can change the string yourself.

take care..
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does NY have a disabled sportsmens association? Pa has one that is very effective. We've had a crossbow permit available for the disabled for quite a few years now.

Might want to contact these folks, maybe they can help put you on to local disabled sportsmen and get your cause organized.

http://www.disabledrights.org/news.html

It might even warrant a visit to your local staterepresentatives office. It's an election year and sponsoring ANY legislation for the disabled looks good on a political record. Idon't trustmost politicians but this would be a win win if you could get one to take up your cause.

It'sjust plain common sense for the pysically challenged and older hunters. You can point to Pennsylvania if you get many naysayers. The crossbow has been here now for several years with certain restrictions and the predictions once heard that it would ruin bowhunting have failed to come true. It hasn't even had much impact in the special regulation areas where the able bodied are allowed to use it.