Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Farmer assistants >

Farmer assistants

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Farmer assistants

Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Farmer assistants

What is this new law saying? Whats the difference between this and red tags? I understand that you couldnt keep the deer? I think that red tags you can ? Not sure though?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Farmer assistants

Not 100% sure but I think all it means is that if a farmer needs to take some deer for crop damage (which they could do as long as I can remember) he can now designate one or two people to dothekillingfor him on his property.

I dont think the shooters can legallykeep the deer, it would either be picked up by the WCO or kept for the farmers personal consumption. I think the farmer is allowed to posess one crop damage deer for personal use at a time.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mikepsu54

What is this new law saying? Whats the difference between this and red tags? I understand that you couldnt keep the deer? I think that red tags you can ? Not sure though?
FARMERS GAIN NEW TOOL TO ADDRESS CROP DAMAGE
In response to a change in state law, the Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to create a special permit process for farmers to use assistance from up to two licensed hunters to address the need to kill game or wildlife for crop damage.

On July 3, Gov. Edward G. Rendell signed into law House Bill 881, which included a provision authorizing the Game Commission to permit other individuals to assist eligible landowners in the destruction of wildlife causing agricultural damage on their property. This provision took effect Sept. 1, 2007. However, before the Game Commission can begin the issuance of any permits to authorize this activity, the Board of Game Commissioners must approve regulatory language to define and create this new program.

A depredation permit issued under the program would allow the farmer to enlist the aid of a limited number of subpermittees for the purpose of killing game or wildlife causing crop damage. The maximum number of subpermittees listed shall not exceed two per permit, unless the district Wildlife Conservation Officer recommends an increase due to warranted circumstances.

Under the program, farmers will have to identify those who would serve as subpermittees; the specific location of the property owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the applicant; the species of game or wildlife causing damage; and the specific nature and extent of the damage caused by the game or wildlife.

Landowners who qualify for the program must qualify as a farmer and; except in Wildlife Management Units 5C and 5D, must be enrolled in one of the agency's public access programs (Farm Game or Safety Zone) for a minimum of 2 years; and possesses a valid agriculture deer control permit if the species sought to be destroyed is white-tailed deer.

A depredation permit issued under this subchapter is valid at any hour, day or night, but only for the duration of the current permit year. An annual report shall be submitted on forms supplied by the Commission by July 31 of each permit year.

Resident, licensed hunters would qualify as a "subpermittee," and they may not have a prior record of Game Code violations or related license revocations within the previous 10 years.

A subpermittee shall report all wildlife destroyed within 24 hours to the Game Commission and will not be permitted to keep any game or wildlife taken under the program. A subpermittee shall surrender the entire carcass, including the head and hide, to the Game Commission or to a food bank or a butcher operating on behalf of a food bank, at the express direction of the district Wildlife Conservation Officer.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Lost Horn.

Looks like the version I got was right on