Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine Safari TV

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Maine Safari TV

I just saw the most irresponsible moose hunt on Maine Safari TV. This was a hunt that was submitted by a viewer. A father daughter hunting party is driving down the road stop the truck get out and shoot a bull moose "ON THE ROAD." His first shot was a miss but the bullet was shot literally down the road not across the road. Legal or not (I don't hunt in Maine) it is irresponsible and dangerous to fire a high powered rifle, or any other weapon, down the road. I don't know how hemissed it looked like a 50 foot shot. His second shot was taken from the road into the bush and he kills the moose. Has if this isn't enough he is soooo proud that he shot a nice moose "ON HIS DAUGHTERS TAG." A great introduction to the sport for his daughter.

IMHO Maine Safari TV is just as responsible, or should I say irresponsible,as they aired it. I won't be watching that one again.

Sorry for the rant,

Bob
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Maine Safari TV

Did the program say what year and where this happened? I agree that shooting down a road is a no no. If it was a dirt road in maine it probably was legal since thelaw does not apply to the direction that the gun is pointing only the location of the shooter when firing.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 PM

I just saw the same program and was thinking the exact same thing! The worst hunting show I have ever seen and will not be watching it again either. Makes you wonder how these shows make national TV????????
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

seems to me that if the wrong person watches that show,,,somebodys gonna get some fines and/or jail time,,,between the road shooting and the daughters tag,,,wow,,,if that is legal,,i may check out maine for the 08 season
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

It is best to follow all the rules in Maine. They have a very active warden force who will go the extra mile to make sure hunters are following the rules. Mess up there and you will find the book being thrown at you.....just as it should be I might add.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Spike

Maine has a system wherethere is a permitee and a subpermitee on the license for moose. Either person or both can shoot the moose but they must be together at all times and only one moose may be shot. There was nothing illegal with the father shooting the moose as long as he was the subpermitee. That being said there are a lot of people that put others in so that they can be subpermittee and shoot a moose.

I have not seen the show but if the father shot the moose without the daughter getting a chance to shoot then I am upset because what better thrill for a young hunter then to shoot a moose. Talk about a wasted chance to truly hook a young hunter.

I would also have to see the show to determine whether the shot he took was illegal in Maine. OProbably it was not safe but it may have been technically legal.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did not see the show either, but if the moose was shot from, or on a dirt road then it was legal. As stated above either the permitee or sub-permitee can shoot the moose. A lot of moose are in fact shot from the dirt roads up here. Most of those dirt roads are side roads off from the main logging roads. The figuring is that a moose wieghs on average of 6 to 7 hundred pounds dressed and can not be walked up to and draged out of the woods like a deer can. I do think he should of let his daughter try and shoot it first though.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

that better explains things,,thanks for the info,,,i didnt see the show either,,,but i thought it to be pretty far fetched that a outdoor show would air something illegal,,if the guy was abiding by the laws i say more power to him,,,6-700lb animal make ya do things a little differently than what im used to,,,,,but be it me,,,,the girl woulda pulled the trigger!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Blaine here from Maine Safari.

Well I will certainly take responsibility for not informing the public better about the hunt, being from Maine I took allot for granted. Yes the father was the sub permit and was perfectly legal for him to shoot. Up north where this moose was taken 4 hours from the nearest anything, most all the moose are shot in the roads cut out. It is the most ethical and LEGAL way to harvest a moose for a clean shot and recovery. Sorry for any confusion. For the record, I would rather get email personally to me at [email protected] about any problems with the show and so would every other producer than to have people posting stuff on the internet HELPING PETA and other organizations add fuel to the their causes before knowing all the facts.

Blaine