Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 question about acreage >

question about acreage

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

question about acreage

Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default question about acreage

I have a quick question about acreage..... how many hunters could a 250 acre area hold without spoiling the others hunt? mostly bow hunting. almost half of it is wooded the remaining is field and pasture.I was thinking 4 people..... thanks in advance ~ rob
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question about acreage

The number of acres is far less important than the type of cover, terrain, placement of food sources, how the place is laid out, and of course, your hunting companions. I've hunted 80 acres with three of us without anyone interfering with anyone else hunting every day for 7 days. I've also been in situations where one jerk in the group could make a square mile crowded.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM

I hunted a piece of land right about the same size for two seasons in Texas hillcountry. . .had a running stream and some good bottoms as well as some more open mesquite (sp?) areas too. . . we had 7 blinds and none of them could interfear with others. We typically used no more than 3 or 4 in a weekend though. If I owned it I would limit that patch to 3 or 4 guys max.

Had another lease where we each got a 300 acres to ourselves and that was almost to small for spot and stalk. That ranch was a little more open than the smaller plot.

And to bowhunters point pick your hunting buddies well. . .only one bad one can wreck it for all of you. Just because someone is a friend or even a close friend does not mean they qualify to share hunting land with you. Pick them very carefully.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Host of Hosts

And to bowhunters point pick your hunting buddies well. . .only one bad one can wreck it for all of you. Just because someone is a friend or even a close friend does not mean they qualify to share hunting land with you. Pick them very carefully.
Very Wise Statement. I know a few guys that I'd gun hunt with,but in no way would I archery hunt with them.