Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Secondary rut heating up in PA >

Secondary rut heating up in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Secondary rut heating up in PA

Old 12-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Secondary rut heating up in PA

Went out this AM in area 2B to try and take a doe (It's does only now here till after Christmas) and wound up getting in the middle of a fracas normally seen around this time in November. Four does came in while the light was just not quite good enough and went on by but came right back past a few minutes later followed by a 6 point, then two more does and then a decent 8 pointer grunting and chasing the does. Not long after that, here came a nice shooter that was obviously tending a young doe.

With all that going on, the only decent shot opportunities I got were at the bucks.

All in all, it was a great morning though. However short it may be, the second rut gives some extra incentive to get up and get back out there when it's getting easier and easier to just roll over and hit the snooze button.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Secondary rut heating up in PA

That's awesome! I love when you get lucky enough to be in the middle of all that action! Good luck on slamming a doe!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The other day I was out when we had that snow. Found some deer sign and places where the does pee'd. One was the normal color, the other was dark reddish. I'm guessing it was a doe that was in heat? I'll probably be out friday afternoon to try and take a doe. Hopefully some activity can keep up until after Xmas.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORrrrr might have a bladder infection.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with you. When I was out during the last day of rifle this past Saturday I had three bucks..a Y, six and a nice 8 pointer chasin' does uphill from my stand for a good part of the morning. I have never seen a sign of the second rut prior to this but call me a believer now.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Could it be the herd is getting closer to a better buck/doe ratio and the rut is finally hitting the "competitiveness" we'd like to see ? From what I"ve seen in archery season, and this gun season, things are starting to work the way they are supposed to work in the rut. More fighting, more buck on their feet, more scraping activity etc. Last tuesday,we go fresh snow over nite, and I took the morning off, went for a stroll with my .280 and a doe tag, and found 2 scrapes that were just shredded to mud after the snow.

the first friday of the PA gun season, my buddies 13 year old son popped a 4 pt. while it was chasing does around a brushy creek bottom. I watched it happen first hand, so he wasen't bs'g. Then, the day we got some snow here in SW PA, his daughter took a another 4pt, on a mentored hunt, from the same spot, and it was hounding some does.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Update: had that 6 pointer under me again tonight and he was cruising for does that way they do in late October
Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's great news Bob, and just whatI wanted to hear. I've been wanting to get some good hunting in with my flintlock and hopefully nail a nice buck someday with it. Don't know if that rutting is gonna carry over into the Flintlock season, buthearing that will give me some incentive to try.
I know with all the bad weather that the hunting pressure was way down. Hopefully there are a few shooters out there waiting on me.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was bringing my daughter home from a friends house last night and saw a great buck. He came out of a drainage and ran down the middle of the road. When he hit the grass he looked like a beagle snifffing bunny scent. I guess there are still some prospects for the upcoming flintlock season. I have a feeling my hunting hasn't begun yet.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

going out tomorrow to try for another doe. Dang, I love the extra hunting time we're getting in 2B. I just hope that i See the bucks again AFTER Christmas

Quick Reply: Secondary rut heating up in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.