Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Opener Results >

NY Opener Results

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Opener Results

Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Default RE: NY Opener Results

Hello Fletch. I am from the Utica area. We were hunting some state land down outside of Herkimer. How bout you?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Fletch NY

Congrats BiggT! You are near me. What part of town ya from and did you hunt locally or travel??

Gergie congratz also. You are near us also, how about you?
Fletch,
Cortland/Homer NY. I've been here 5 yrs and the hunting is good if not better than PA where I've hunted for 14yrs. Where you located?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure if this works,but here he is from the opener

Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry hunting for me. The wife and I drove up and spent all week at our camp in Steuben. The hunting action was VERY, VERY SLOW. We saw 0 bucks and a grand total of 9 deer all week. I'll continue to archery hunt up there, but screw the gun hunting. As soon as the banging starts, the deer vanish. There were rubs and scrapes all over and, after the snow, tracks too. I know of only 2 bucks that were taken in the area. Nothing to brag about either. Nobody much farms up there, and there is no planted corn to be found. I saw many deer that were down in protected residential areas or on Corning property (non-huntible). This was a real wasted trip for me. Oh to have the good ole' days back. When I was a kid hunting up there, we'd see 30-50 deer per day. If you went a full hour without seeing deer something was wrong. There would be cars parked along all country roads, lots of hunters out to move the deer and the shooting (especially on opening day) was non-stop. I'm very disappointed.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry hunting for me. The wife and I drove up and spent all week at our camp in Steuben. The hunting action was VERY, VERY SLOW. We saw 0 bucks and a grand total of 9 deer all week. I'll continue to archery hunt up there, but screw the gun hunting. As soon as the banging starts, the deer vanish. There were rubs and scrapes all over and, after the snow, tracks too. I know of only 2 bucks that were taken in the area. Nothing to brag about either. Nobody much farms up there, and there is no planted corn to be found. I saw many deer that were down in protected residential areas or on Corning property (non-huntible). This was a real wasted trip for me. Oh to have the good ole' days back. When I was a kid hunting up there, we'd see 30-50 deer per day. If you went a full hour without seeing deer something was wrong. There would be cars parked along all country roads, lots of hunters out to move the deer and the shooting (especially on opening day) was non-stop. I'm very disappointed.
I sort of don't understand your post. You complain about gun hunters and how when the shooting starts the deer vanish and then reminisce about the good ole days when there were tons of hunters and the shooting was non-stop? If there were that many hunters today, you would have even less of a chance of getting any deer wouldn't you? I never hunted in your county, but I have never heard of anyone claiming to see as many as 30-50 deer a day anywhere in NYS back in the olden days or even today for that matter unless you are hunting in some suburban spots where there is no gun hunting allowed.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you're right! I was just suffering from the "downer syndrome" after having such a crappy hunt. I assure you that my oldie days memories are accurate. The area I hunt is two contiguous farms that border on Erwin WMA plus our piece. I've hunted there since the early 60's when we bought the place. It's totally wild and not residential. It just seems as if the deer are there during bow season, then are gone (likely nocturnal) as soon as the guns start blazing. Just like they used to say that deer don't look up, I'm convinced that the deer in that area have (as the years have gone by) become smarter, more wary and lay low until nightfall.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

BiggT and Gergie,

I am out of Phoenix, about half way between Syracuse and Oswego. I hunt state land out side of Tully along with areas here in Phoenix and Baldwinsville. Also used to hunt up northern Adirondacks but have not done that in a few to many years. Will be planning a Muzzleloader huntnext year up there.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

We have been slaying them this year. So far9 guys have 13 deer...not bad for a bunch of week-end warriors.
Archery Season:
Mike-doe,
Me-3 point,
Wade-6 point
Wayne-6 Point
John-7 point
Shot gun:
Mike, Dave, Bob, John-does,
Bob-2 point (other antler was broke off)
Fred-6 point
Wade-7 point
John-8 point
Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 AM

I got a 6pt and doe during bowseason.Havent seen anything to shoot since gun opened.I hunt in 8F and alot of people are all saying the same thing.Theres no deer.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM

They been saying that for 50+ years that I have been hunting