Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY TICKS..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM

Default NY TICKS..

So i hunt ny dutchess,ulster,orange,columbia area . mostly private property but some state land aswell. ive seen and had more ticks on me this yr than ever. was wondering how you guys been. i kno this theread is kinda pointless but im just curious. how the ticks been with u and this warm ass weather
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY TICKS..

I was out in Kent off of rt 302 or 301 DEP land bow hunting seen a few deer warm day no ticks
Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 AM

KalmKidd,

I hunt the same areas and have had 4 or 5 ticks on me everytime i've gone out.All dog ticks and no deer ticks which is good. Hasn't been cold enough to kill them off yet. Be careful, that lyme disease will mess you up!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM

The month of Oct. just before we usually recieve frost is when tick activity is at its highest. In the second week of Oct. we started picking 20-30 ticks of the dogs when they came from outside. The activity is about over now. My lab is only 4 years old and this fall is the 5th time he's come down with lyme disease. I live in Greene County.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that there are way more ticks on the east side of the Hudson River, i.e Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia counties than anywhere in the Catskills. You can't go into the woods in those counties without getting a few on you. That is surely not the case in the Catskills. I hardly ever see them in Delaware county where I usually hunt.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I have found that there are way more ticks on the east side of the Hudson River, i.e Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia counties than anywhere in the Catskills. You can't go into the woods in those counties without getting a few on you. That is surely not the case in the Catskills. I hardly ever see them in Delaware county where I usually hunt.
i had this argument with my uncle.. definetly i can hunt ulster county for months and NEVER see one,. or hunt dutchess for 1hour and find 8.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 AM

i have found the same!!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Since switching to a spray that contains Pymerthrine two years ago I have not had a tick on me since. It is oderless (when it drys) lasts for up to 6 weeks and remains on your clothes thru several washings. NOt for skin, only for clothing.

HH
Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Delaware county hancock area : I spent 4 days bow hunting and no ticks I passed on 2 small stupid yearling under my stand:I had to chase them away they just would not move.
I had my eye on a large doe and a off spring doe for about a hours but she stayed about 50 yards from my stand with no shot: I check the watch it was 6:15 pm and now she was at 25 yards I felt a little to late for a shot and try to recover the same nightI did also pass on her
I think east of the Hudson the deer herds are a lot larger then around delaware county area total deer seen in 4 days 6 does
Bears are all over the mountain I have no interest in shooting a bear passed on a large male would say 450lbs last year He spooked a 7 pointer on me I had my flinter peep sight on the buck and he just bolted off the ridge and a few min: later the bear came along across the top of the mountain
I was lucky to draw a doe tag in 4W but if I am lucky to shoot a buck first I trash the party permit I think still they should of held back on doe tags .The herds are still light I think this year I seen more deer then last year total seen last year was 1 deer: will see what opening morning brings to the stand
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 AM

It seems to come down to two factors. The closer you live to the hudson river the more ticks seem to be concentrated and of course the more plentiful the deer population the more deer ticks. I live in Athens/Catskill area 1 mile from the river and we have it as bad as anyone in the state imho. The Catskill Embough/Cementon area is suppose to be one of the highest concentration of lymein the region according to state officials I've spoken to through the years.

Quick Reply: NY TICKS..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.