Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck >

Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck

Old 11-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck

To start off, no it is not my buck. However, I was within two hundred yards of this buck when it was shot.

Ihave notnoticedmuch discussion here on this area now open to archery hunting. I have been hunting it regularly since the second week of the season and have seen three of the bucks harvested thus far. The pic below is of a gentleman, Phil Lathrope, who was sitting a couple hundred yards away from me yesterday evening on the Preserve. He shot this beautiful 10 point buck late in the afternoon and ended up loading the buck up next to my truck. Estimated live weight would be close to 200 pounds. This buck is about average in body size and rack size from what I have seen taken sofar.

I have been having a great last few days in terms of deer sightings and was fortunate enough to see a monster 10 pointer, different buck than Phil's, on Tuesday morning. Sadly, it did not come within range but I feel very satisfied to have just seen it.

Just thought I would share with you guys.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck

Thats great.. I dont hunt deer up there but I cant wait for springturkey season. Congrats to him!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck. congrats

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why wait? I have been seeing Toms up there just about every day I have been up. Now I just need to remember to bring my turkey call and the decoy. You would not believe the number of birds in there. I counted a flock of 30 yesterday on the one hillside open to hunting...

..and I have yet to see someone specifically hunting turkey.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 AM

Did you same "Game Preserve" as in high fenced hunting?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

This area is the Trexler-Lehigh County Game Preserve. It encompasses about 1200 acres. The PA Game Commission, local Wildlands Conservancy and the Trexler Board decided to open the "North Range", approximately 500 acres, to archery hunting for deer and turkey.

The entire preserve was once fenced in but the fencing was left to neglect and many "holes" in the fence have existed for as long as I can remember. Once they decided to open up the North Range for hunting they removed a majority of the fencing around the preserve so that there could be no question on whether or not it was some type of "Canned hunt".

So, the short of it is, no, it is not a fenced in area. Animals can freely pass to the central range, local gamelands and local residential areas without any trouble.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a nice buck.
Nothing you can't find just about anywhere in PA though.
The hunter looks happy.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing you can't find just about anywhere in PA though.
You are right ofcourse. I emailed a copy of the pic and story to one of the local outdoor writers. He informed me that it wasn't even close to being the biggest one taken out of there so far.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Why wait? I have been seeing Toms up there just about every day I have been up. Now I just need to remember to bring my turkey call and the decoy. You would not believe the number of birds in there. I counted a flock of 30 yesterday on the one hillside open to hunting...

..and I have yet to see someone specifically hunting turkey.
I just dont have the time to get up there to hunt fall turkey.. Im too busy trying to get my buck down here in Montgomery County. If I had my buck it might be a different story.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Understood. I have been putting off shooting a Tom in fear it would ruin my chances at a buck. With the season winding down I might just have to bit the bullet and take one.

Quick Reply: Trexler Game Preserve Halloween Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.