Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Permit Shotgun Season NJ >

Permit Shotgun Season NJ

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Permit Shotgun Season NJ

Old 01-19-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Permit Shotgun Season NJ

I used to hunt Zone 29, Permit Shotgun in NJ. I stopped buying the permit 2 years ago.

In the old days, Upland hunting was closed on Deer Permit days. When zone 29 went to 7 days, the 4 days in January were the 1st 2 weekends, Friday and Saturday.

Then, the upland hunters started bitching. "You are taking 2 weekends away from us to hunt public land. Its not fair!" So, NJ Fish and Game caved in, and opened the upland season up during the Permit Deer.

Then, the deer hunters started bitching about the January days. "We would have to take time off from work or school to hunt on Friday. We pay for these permits so we should have as many days to hunt as possible!" So, NJ Fish and Game caved in, and made the 4 january days all Saturdays.

So what do you have now? Every hunter in NJ swarming around WMAs on the permit days in January, running over each other trying to hunt everything. What a cluster F its become!

I went bow hunting yesterday. I had nothing else to do, so I figured I'd chance it. All the places I drove by had parking lots full. Deer hunters, people running hound dogs, bird dogs, goose hunting, you name it. I got lucky this time and no one came by the little plot I was in. Heard alot of shooting and yelling though.

Unless you own your own land or can hunt during the week, its not worth Bow hunting on the weekends in the southern zones where Permit Gun is in.

If you hunt Permit Shotgun, its not worth going in January unless you have your own property, because you'll have at least 2 Pheasant, rabbit or squirrel hunters walk over top of you before your hunt is over.

Lets go back to the old days. Close Upland season when the permit shotgun days are in and cut the weekends back to 2 so you are not shutting the Upland hunters out the whole Month of January and give the deer hunters back the Friday so there will be at least a few less people in the public woods. Just my opinion.

Better yet, end the permit shotgun days in January all together! There's been less and less deer around every year. Time to give the herd a break.

Any day spent huntin, is better than any day spent workin,,

Duckmastor2
Old 01-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Permit Shotgun Season NJ

I think it's the agenda of the Anti's that we have in office now. They know that gun control will get them beat, well maybe not in the PRNJ. However they'll make the seasons so screwed up and put so many hunters in the woods that numbers will decline and more accidents happen. This is why I would rather spend extra for NR licenses and hunt/fish PA. The 3 areas I go to regularly you might see a few guys on the way in but nowhere near what's it's like in NJ.