Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD. ANYONE HUNT IN GREENBRIAR >

MD. ANYONE HUNT IN GREENBRIAR

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD. ANYONE HUNT IN GREENBRIAR

Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default MD. ANYONE HUNT IN GREENBRIAR

HEY GUYS , JUST WENT TO GREENBRIAR LOOKING FOR A PLACE CLOSER TO HOME TO DO SOME BLACK POWDER HUNTING , HAS ANYONE HUNTED IT IF SO HOW WAS IT???
ALSO SOUTH MOUNTIAN HAS ANY ONE HUNTED IT AND IF SO WHAT HAVE YA SEEN , KILLED , SCARED LOL AND ALSO IS IT OK TO PARK ON RT 70 LIKE I SEE EVERYONE DOING ??
THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

JIM
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MD. ANYONE HUNT IN GREENBRIAR

I have some friends who have hunted Greenbriar SP. They said it was hit or miss. There were deer there and they even killed some of them. They stopped going there when they got some private land to hunt. I don't know anything about S. Mtn. Good luck with them and keep us posted. I'm sure there are lots of others who would like to hear about those two pieces of land.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with GB being hit or miss. Especially with guns. Bow season is ok, but it's not so great with firearms. Too many people and too many ways to access the place. I will say this, the place is always loaded with hikers and bikers and people with dogs. There's trails all through the place, so don't be surprised to get in a stand and look up and see someone walking their dog 50 yards away.

As far as SM, it's a big piece (long at least). Not sure about the 70 parking,and whether it's legal or not, but there's access points along the Appalachian Trial on 40 on the Washington county/Fredneck County line. There's a parking area there. There's also an access point outside of Smithsburg that also has a parking area. There's also some public land along the AT outside of Boonsboro off Reno Monument Road. The land is skinny, but long. Get a map because it can get hairy as to whats' public and what's private. I don't think Reno Monument gets as pounded as 40 and Smithsburg.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Greenbrier is hit or miss. I stuck a doe in there earlier in the season and have seen deer 2 out of 3 hunts. One of my buddies though has hunted it about 10 times and only seen 1 deer.

South Mountain is hard to access. I am lucky and have a piece of private ground I can park on at the bottom and can access the public land easily. I have also parked on 70 and never had an issue. Hunting off of 70 is sketchy during the week with all of the trafic, it's hard to get in and out of there. The weekend isn't as bad.

Your not going to find many giants in either place but the deer numbers are decent.