Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Very large bear taken in NY >

Very large bear taken in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Very large bear taken in NY

Old 10-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Very large bear taken in NY

Looks like Southern Orange County area.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/NEWS/710190339
Old 10-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Very large bear taken in NY

Some of the biggest bucks are being taken in suburban areas like Westchester, Long Island and New Jersey. I guess the same now applies to bears. Limited hunting access, with limited gun hunting allow these creatures to grow old and big! Hunting in small woodlots in between houses and backyards isn't exactly my idea of being out amongst nature, but I guess the guys who want trophy sized animals don't mind it at all.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

these bears are coming over from new jersey.

im not kidding. rangers right over the boarder in both PA and NY call our fish and wildlife dept all the time complaining about bears that arent afraid of humans, and are breaking into residential garbage cans. alot of them have NJ ear tags in them.

NJ has the largest black bears in the nation.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I think its even better that the reporter has the caption under the guys picture saying about his "12 point buck" that he shot in new mexico which is clearly a 6x6 bull elk. Have to just laugh at these people.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Wow that is not to far from where i hunt . There have been allot more bear spotting's the past couple of years
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM

yeah they must be coming from NJ to orange county b/c last year a guy shot the record archery bear in OC too.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 PM

wo0o0w i hunt right by Monroe in a small town called Harriman.......wow this is soo crazy and so unexpecting!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM

I hunt not to far from this area. Heard about this from one of the locals. They also said that they read in the local paper up there that this guy was arrested??? Supposedly for shooting too close to a structure and for baiting with donuts. Fined $1,500. Anyone else hear this????
Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Times Herald Record article:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/NEWS/710190400

Big bear taken over bait; man charged

var isoPubDate = 'October 19, 2007'

October 19, 2007
Lumberland - A West Nyack man shot and killed a 617 pound black bear over the weekend, and it cost him $1,500.
David K. Malone, 41, shot the male bear with a bow and arrow about 9 a.m. Sunday, about 60 yards from his weekend house on Haring Road in the Town of Lumberland. Police from the Department of Environmental Conservation said Malone lured the bear there with a bait pile of donuts, bagels, blue fish and a barrel of molasses.
Malone took the bear head and pelt to a taxidermist in Pennsylvania, and the carcass to a meat cutter. Malone's reputation preceded him, DEC Lt. Deming Lindsley said. Someone tipped off a game warden in Pennsylvania that Malone hunted over bait. Constables in Lumberland got the same tip. At Malone's weekend property, DEC police found the bait pile and the gut pile.
The Pennsylvania game warden turned over the head and pelt to the DEC. The bear meat was also seized.
Malone was cited today for illegally taking a bear, a misdemeanor; and hunting over bait and illegal transport, violations. He paid a civil penalty of $1,502.50 in Lumberland Court. DEC police have filed for a revocation of Malone's hunting license. His permit could be revoked for one to five years.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now wait a second here. The guy in the first article's name is Frank DeGennar who killed a 627lbs bear. The article above claims that a David Malone killed a 617lbs bear over bait. These are two different guys and two different bears. I think this should be pointed out. Hard to believe that two 600 pounders were taken in the same week.

Quick Reply: Very large bear taken in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.