Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Releases Preliminary Figures

Old 01-16-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PGC Releases Preliminary Figures

Preliminary figures have been released from the Pa. Game Com.More than 1870 off limit bucks(their words) were killed this past season.All but 24 hunters were fined $25 dollars,The other hunters were fined $500.In the 2001-2002 season only 122 mistake kills were reported with 3 hunters being fined the $500.These are only the reported figures not the actual #.The final numbers will be released in March.Just thought you guys might find this interesting.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PGC Releases Preliminary Figures

Doesnt sound too bad. I had heard that the PGC was expecting up to 10% of the 80,000 protected bucks to be "accidentally" killed.
Less than 2,000 reported doesnt sound that bad in the big picture. I'd guess that the unreported ones might be a bigger number. Even so, it's not the slaughter that some were worried about. Hopefully, the number oF boo-boo's will gradually decrease.

Member of NRA, BASS, Buckmasters and Life member of UBP.........Kill a big doe, Let the little bucks grow
Old 01-17-2003, 02:34 PM

I dont understand how some paid $25.00 and others paid $500.00 whats was the difference???
Old 01-17-2003, 03:05 PM

If the CO felt the guy knew he was shooting an illegal deer, or felt he didn't bother to check it, just shot willing to pay $25 for all the meat, he gave the guy a $500 fine vs $25.

The first states to use AR's were out West for mule deer and elk in I believe Oregon, or maybe Washington years and years ago.
They said they had upwards of 10% of the young animals killed that first year, but the number dropped dramatically each year after, and soon the number was so low they don't even include those kills in the management plan, statistically insignificant.
Most other states who implemented ARs found about the same percentages over the years.
I'd say PA hunters have done an excellent job. I would suspect even as soon as next year the illegal kills will become so small as to not factor into the management plan. I definitely know you'll have a ton of decent 2.5yr old 8 and 10 points running around next year, and even more the year after.
The figures on doe harvest support the idea that they won't all get "shot out", as the old timers like to put it.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 01-17-2003, 05:13 PM

I agree, 6ptsika! The future is looking brighter here in PA.!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
The first states to use AR's were out West for mule deer and elk in I believe Oregon, or maybe Washington years and years ago.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

You are right here sika, but you either forgot to mention something, or maybe don't yet know. You see, many, if not all, of those states have since dropped the AR. Most say that they were ineffective, with some states proclaiming antler restrictions were actually detrimential to having mature animals in the herds. Just last year (season 2002) Alberta dropped them saying basically, they did nothing to improve the herd. Wyoming and Colorado did the same a few years back after having the regs in place for nearly 15 years, with no positive results. Seems like some other states besides NJ have found this type of stuff doesn't work as well as promised, and it's actually detrimental many times. Maybe Pa will be able to prove eveyone else wrong. I hope they can.

Edited by - NJ_Bowhntr on 01/17/2003 20:54:15
Old 01-17-2003, 08:30 PM

What about the other states that have antler restrictions and have had great results?????? I guess some people only want to talk about the negative.
eddie
Old 01-19-2003, 05:22 PM

No eddie, just trying to balance the discussion here. When is the last time anyone talked abou the fact that antler restrictions haven't worked, and have actually been proven a failure somewhere? They can work, but it's still a very controversial idea.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:01 AM

I don't believe people talk about it for one reason, it hasn't happened. If you have information that &quot;proves AR's have failed&quot;, I'd sure like to see it. Oh, I'm sure some states have done away with it, but I believe every state that has used it has had the same results, an older age class of bucks. If you have data saying otherwise, like I said, I'd sure like to see it, it would be the first such evidence presented around here.
Your statement, &quot;many, if not all&quot; is completely untrue. I won't spoeculate on why you wrote that, but many states, and the two used in my example, continue to practice AR, with much success.
When you say ARs &quot;fail&quot;, what exactly do you mean? They failed to increase the average age of bucks? That's hard to believe. That's all ARs are suppose to do, in their own right, increase the average age of the bucks. PA has instituted ARs in conjunction with increased doe harvest, which is one form of QDM.
I suspect the states that have done away with ARs, have done so due to hunter dissatisfaction, or complaints from the farmers or landowners, not because they failed to increase the average age of the buck herd.
Which state claims they failed, and has data supporting this fact? I'd like to see this, I try to keep an open mind on deer management, and any facts would be appreciated. Up until this point, I haven't read one shred of fact saying ARs could be detrimental to the deer herd. Not one little fact. You would think with all the people saying it's a bad practice, and people like Alt are the devil, those same poeple would bringg forth one single shred of evidence supporting their claim. Not so far.

&quot;In heaven, even the fish have antlers&quot;
Old 01-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points 6pt, I agree that next year will be pretty good with more 8 and 10 pointers running around and I plan to see personaly and up close next year.

Brian

Quick Reply: PGC Releases Preliminary Figures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.