Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY QUESTION

Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM

Default NY QUESTION

hi guys i come from a huge family of hunters. im 20 and am taken my bow course this saturday and my hunters ed next weekend. was wondering if i could get some tips for the hunters ed course i can honestly say im not to great at shooting a gun i mean im mainy a bow guy./ will i fail without godo acuracy or is it just for safe handling any info will help. thanks alot.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM

Default RE: NY QUESTION

by the way im taken this in dutchess county ny. i live righ next to poughkeepsie.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If these courses require a shooting test this is news to me. Most of these courses are given in places that don't have shooting facilities. All they basically do is teach you about safety and conservation. Heck, if shooting tests were required I think the majority of hunters who already hold licenses might probably fail it!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Spike

When I took my hunters safety course. we were not required to shoot the guns, but cold if we wanted to. The course was mostly about safety.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM

see i was told that u have to shoot clay pieces in the air and steady on the ground now with the bow ill easily pas but with a gun i SUCK lol.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

DOn't know about accuracy requirments but Definitely make sure you are going to be allowed to take the bowhunting course before the hunter's education. I believe you must have a hunter's ed certificate/license BEFORE you are allowed to take the Bow hunters education cert. If its the same guys giving both courses maybe they will work around it, but otherwise you may have a problem. Please make sure before hand so your not left without a paddle.( I am not sure just sort of remember that)Hope it helps and good luck this season.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: nyorange

DOn't know about accuracy requirments but Definitely make sure you are going to be allowed to take the bowhunting course before the hunter's education. I believe you must have a hunter's ed certificate/license BEFORE you are allowed to take the Bow hunters education cert. If its the same guys giving both courses maybe they will work around it, but otherwise you may have a problem. Please make sure before hand so your not left without a paddle.( I am not sure just sort of remember that)Hope it helps and good luck this season.

no my dad said that aswell and it was like that now it doesnt matter what order but thanks for looking out.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM

They give you the option of shooting, but you don't have too. They will fail you if you handle a gun unsafely tho. That is mainly what they are looking for when you shoot. Go ahead and shoot and enjoy. Just use the safety skills they taught. Muzzle control, safety on, and keep your finger behind the guard.
Good luck and have fun
Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't have to pass a shooting test. Just safety in handling a gun.

However, I would suggest practicing and getting more confident with your gun before taking aim at your game.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

By best suggestion.............. bring a book.I took my bow course last month and itwas so boring. They just madethe bow coursean 8 hour course and they didn't give the instructorsextra material. They were struggling to fill the time. We watched videos about gun safety... Boooooooring!

Have fun and good luck saturday!

Quick Reply: NY QUESTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.