Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bear almost stole my deer >

Bear almost stole my deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear almost stole my deer

Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear almost stole my deer

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I believe there are 50 lb. coyotes in PA. I also believe there are 800+ lb. bear and 200+ lb. deer. They are the ends of the extreme. We have killed more than one coyote at our camp, and none of them came close to 50 lb. They are long-legged rangy animals with lots of fur, and appearances are deceiving as to their actual weight.
the biggest we got was 47 pds..
a coyote could drag deer a little ways to hide it but not a long ways..
bear will drag one..

like said, i read a piece about a hunter that is part of the bass pro teeam..
he found a den with over 30 fawns in it that coyotes took there,he was from lock haven,pa..

of course,this was back when pgc denied that coyotes were killing deer...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe there are 50 lb. coyotes in PA. I also believe there are 800+ lb. bear and 200+ lb. deer. They are the ends of the extreme. We have killed more than one coyote at our camp, and none of them came close to 50 lb. They are long-legged rangy animals with lots of fur, and appearances are deceiving as to their actual weight.
I agree that 50 lb coyotes are the rare exception. As is having anything get on a deer that quickly after the kill. Not trying to make a case for whatever itmay have been that found your deer. I was merely pointing out a possibility other than a bear.

Maybe it was one of Sprouls cougars

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

A COUGAR!!! Good one...... never even gave that a thought.......

Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys - I'm almost positive it was a bear. This was a nice sized doe and was dragged about 15 feet. And the hole in fornt of the hind qtr was where he grabbed her. Also the fur and hind qtrs had bites out just under the tail.
Too - two weeks before while carrying in my stand to hang it I had to chase a big bear off the same trail I was on by shaking my tree stand at him. He wouldn't move just by hollering to him. I estimate he was about 30" wide and about 3' high at the shoulder. Probably in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. I know he was a good bit bigger than the 250 pounder I got 2 years ago.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Who knows but its a cool story. Too bad you didnt walk in on what ever it was and see it.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Guys - I'm almost positive it was a bear. This was a nice sized doe and was dragged about 15 feet. And the hole in fornt of the hind qtr was where he grabbed her. Also the fur and hind qtrs had bites out just under the tail.
Too - two weeks before while carrying in my stand to hang it I had to chase a big bear off the same trail I was on by shaking my tree stand at him. He wouldn't move just by hollering to him. I estimate he was about 30" wide and about 3' high at the shoulder. Probably in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. I know he was a good bit bigger than the 250 pounder I got 2 years ago.
i wish i was there, i would TACKLE that bugger..
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

A COUGAR!!! Good one...... never even gave that a thought.......

i thought same thing BUT no one would believe it could be..

in all my years ,50 hunting with lots of bear, lots of deer left over night and recovered next day,not 1 time did we ever have deer tore up by animal or did i ever hear of that happening..

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,if i was going to guess,it could be a COYOTE ,yet you saw bear..

what do we have most of now, COYOTES and few COUGARS thrown in..

yes, i did see COUGAR and it was reported to our great PGC and i was told i saw a cougar BUT they dont believe they exist..

after that, i never trusted the PGC ever again...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know, I think some of you guys may be right - it might have been a cougar .
I've been hunting for about 45 years and this is the second time that something got at my deer. About 10 years ago I shot a 4 pt in the evening and waited until the next morning to follow it up. Both hind qtrs. had softball sized chunks taken out of them. I don't know what that was. But I do know that a coyote will clear the area in human presence. This critter was circling us in the dark. We could hear him moving through the brush.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

......Well, Bronko, since the cougar possibility went over so well, can we not consider that the great Sasquatch may also be mentioned?? I mean---come on.....after all...............???
Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Took a little walk today. I was in a hurry to get out of there on monday and I left my field dressing gloves and paper towels there. I walked down the old blood trail and picked up all my tissue paper markers and got to the spot where I dressed her out and there was absolutely nothing there. No sign that I dressed out a deer there, except for my field dressing gloves. Hard to believe that even the intestines, stomach, etc were eaten, I would have expected the heart and liver to be gone.

Quick Reply: Bear almost stole my deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.