HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   PA Opener (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/209520-pa-opener.html)

crazedbowhunter 09-30-2007 07:47 AM

PA Opener

Anyone in PA have any luck on Saturday? I saw noo deer[:'(]

stickler 09-30-2007 08:51 AM

RE: PA Opener

I did not see any deer either, but I had a big black bear under my tree in the morning, and say a coyote in the evening

Paddles 09-30-2007 09:20 AM

Here is my little bad luck story.http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2349242

robdre56 09-30-2007 10:30 AM

no deer but seen em all afternoon while i was driveing around getting stuff done so i could go out in the evening and seen nothing then either

just curious 09-30-2007 10:44 AM

hubby had 4 does under his stand on sat. morning. i couldn't go. scheduled for back surgery tomorrow. looks like i'll be spending lots of time reading about hunting andnot participating this year. :(

PABuck_HNTR 09-30-2007 06:25 PM

Nada

BEARFAN 09-30-2007 08:27 PM

had a small yearling run 10ft beside me and was hell bent for election. she got 50yds uphill and let every animal on that hill know something wasnt right

Pawildman 09-30-2007 08:28 PM

Just talked to my brother-in-law....his neighbor shot a nice 7-point Sat. A.M. Northern Indiana Co., PA.

300ultramagshooter 10-01-2007 08:01 AM

Saw 2 does in the morning couldnt get a shot and a flock of turkeys(3 nice long beards in the flock)

ron3775 10-01-2007 08:14 AM

I saw 4 doe and a nice 4 point. A few years, he will be massive. One buddy saw 4 doe and took one. My other buddy saw 14 doe.

mauser06 10-01-2007 09:31 AM

1.5 or 2.5yo 8pt 12-14" wide 15yds broadside, close leg forward at 0840. got to full draw when i realized my arrow wasnt on the rest. shooting a nap 1000 rest, i lay my bow across the front of my Summit Viper..arrow lays on the riser...to shoot, i gotta put it on the rest. it all happened quick...i never did...broadhead caught the riser and popped off the string. somehow didnt hit the ground. gave me another shot at probably 30...but i wont shoot unless its top pin or i KNOW the distance for sure...so he got to walk. cant kick myself hard enough.

saw a gray fox 100-150yds away on the same ridge in the evening.

buddy killed a nice little 7pt 300-400yds away on the next farm at 9am.

i will be back to get him....just gunna give him time to FORGET about what he saw:) never spooked...didnt blow, lift the tail, stomp his foot...started working left, infront of me at ~30 but decided to turn around and leave...knew something was fishy...saved his life thats for sure.

ccm352 10-01-2007 10:21 AM

I saw 4 bucks and 4 does.. One was a really nice 8 pointer but I was on the cell phone getting the report of a 6 pointer that ran by my buddy. I turned to look and there he was 15 yards broadside.. I was fooked.. I could only watch him walk away..

BTBowhunter 10-01-2007 11:30 AM

Took my 15 year old out in the evening. He was about to haul his bow up when a young 9 pointer, (probably 80-90") came right in to him and then came right past me at about 8 yards. Too bad he wasnt quite ready. It would have been a great first archery buck for him. the good news is that he didnt bust either one of us so maybe the kid will get another crack at him later.

PS My landowner saw the big boy again just a couple days ago mere yards from one of my stands:D.

BarnesX.308 10-01-2007 11:31 AM

Saw 8 does and a spike in Sullivan County. The spike was the only one that presented a good shot. The others were out of range. Coyotes were everywhere.

PABowhntr 10-02-2007 09:50 AM

Sorry for not posting more guys but things have been busy on my end for the last year or so. Two little boys and two or more jobs tends to keep things hectic.

I had a rather interesting opening morning. It went something like this.....

The alarm clock went off at 2 am. I proceeded to get out of bed, hit the shower and get the truck packed up in short order. My primary hunting spot is only ten minutes from my home at one of the local gamelands. At this point it is important to put the story into perspective....

Directly across the road from the gamelands that I hunt is a local game preserve, the Trexler/Lehigh County Game Preserve. The entire preserve covers well over 1100 acres of excellent habitat. The central range houses the Lehigh Valley Zoo (20 some acres) but the rest of the property is a mixture of rolling wooded hills and valleys with some agricultural fields mixed in.

This past year the county and the trustees of the preserve decided to open up the North Range section of the preservefor hunting...archery only for deer and turkey. Almost immediately following the public announcement some of the animal rights groups in the area began to dispute the decision and attempted to fight it in court. The case was thrown out a week or so ago however that should set the stage for my opening morning.

I rolled into the gameland parking area at 3:30 am to find five other cars parked along the road and five more cars parked in the parking area. One of the cars was my hunting companion. He had arrived at 2:50 am to already find two cars in the lot. We spoke briefly and then headed in to our stands. (A later conversation with a hunting buddy who rolled in at 4:30 am revealed 35 cars parked along the road that borders the far side of the north range).

My stand location is about 300 yards from the gameland parking area but only about 115 yards from the road that I drive in on. Directly downhill from my stand is the entrance to the North range of the game preserve. This entrance allows hunters to have access to the main parking area and thus the entire north range. However,hunters can park anywhere along the roads that provide the property boundary for the range and just walk right in (no fences). I counted 22 cars entering the North Range prior to 7 am. Most of them entered before 5 am.

Around 7 o'clock a few cars parked along the road next to the front entrance. The people that left the vehicles were not dressed in hunting garb but rather plain street clothes. Some were actually dressed in black though I paid little attention to it at the time. They began unloading flowers, wreaths and various signs from their vehicles. After setting up these "decorations" they began to stand around and chat at gate. They were far enough away so that I only caught brief bits of the conversation and I really wasn't paying much attention as I was actually there to hunt.

A little after 7:30 I heard a car pull up in front of the crowd and a brief, muffled conversation followed. The last words out of the driver's mouth were rather derogatory in nature before he pulled away. A short time later another car drove out of the preserve and stopped in front of the protestors. This car proceeded to spin its tires on top of the gravel stones before speeding down the road. No words were exchanged.

A little after 8 am another vehicle pulled up in front of the protestors and a gentleman exited the car. He was dressed in plain clothes and calmly walked around the vehicle to stand in front of the protestors. The next fifteen minutes that followed were filled with expletives that I dare not repeat here. However, it took the Game Commission to break up the exchange.

Every fifteen or twenty minutes or so afterwards a different vehicle would pull up and some angry words would follow.

At 9:30 am I decided to pack it in as I had not seen a deer all morning (nor had anyone else in my crew...we are guessing the moon played some part).

The afternoon hunt was less dramatic but much more rewarding as I took my oldest son ( 5 years old)out with me for the first time. We set up a ground blind at the edge of a previously productive field. Though we did not see anything I received a great deal of enjoyment out of having the opportunity to share a hunt with him. We left a bit early as dad forgot to pack enough snacks and a silent video game to keep him occupied....;). We did get out last night again but that is a story for another time. Pictures to follow this evening.

I look forward to having the opportunity to hunt more this season includingsome excursions into the game preserve itself as there truly is the opportunity for some record book bucks in there. Once our small game and muzzleloader seasons open up in a few weeks the game preserve should be much more productive for archery as the gamelands will receive quite a bit of multi-season pressure.

Paddles 10-03-2007 05:56 PM

I can guarantee you PABowhntr there are some monsters in the preserve because I caught a couple on camera last year hangin around the fence at the one part. If my spot wouldn't be so good I would have been in there myself. GOOD LUCK!
PS: THE SECRET IS TO SHAKE A COFFEE CAN WITH PEBBLES IN IT THEY'LL COME RUNNING;).TRUST ME I WITNESSED IT!

sproulman 10-03-2007 06:59 PM

i saw 2 doe under my stand in wmu2g at 9 am on sat,no bucks.i never kill a doe or fawn anymore...
went out at 4 pm to my stand, saw no deer but over 20 hunters..
i saw no deer killed on way home..

went for ride on sunday,no deer seen..
this was in clinton county.

crazedbowhunter 10-03-2007 07:30 PM

took friday off from school, hopefully it will be better than last saturday

Bionicrooster 10-03-2007 11:41 PM

Mauser06, get yourself a whisker biscuit and don't look back!

sproulman 10-04-2007 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: crazedbowhunter

took friday off from school, hopefully it will be better than last saturday
i was out here in clinton county,in morning and evening...
morning i saw nothing and heavy fog,this was on stateforestland and area i have hunted for 45 years..

i then went to my privateland tonight,i saw 17 deer,6 bucks ,4 were running together..
my land borders stateforestland..
its like night/day hunting between two..

turkeys, oh my, i saw 50 on my land,i never knew that many were there as i dont go out that much to look...
i really hate hunting on my privateland and dont do it very often.....

Easton_xx75 10-05-2007 11:26 AM

My brothers roommate killed This 12 point in the middle of theafternoonnear Lewistown, PA on the first day.

ccm352 10-05-2007 12:06 PM

nice buck man!

Easton_xx75 10-05-2007 01:42 PM

No offical score on thedeer yet. But friends and family hasit scored around the 170 range

crazedbowhunter 10-05-2007 07:29 PM

Wish i could be that lucky!

sproulman 10-05-2007 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: crazedbowhunter

Wish i could be that lucky!
not much luck on buck like that..
usually its privateland..
luck is hunting on stateforestland when you have all kinds of hunters chasing 1 buck from this area to that..

now, thats lucky..
thats real nice buck, congrats..........

livbucks 10-05-2007 10:17 PM

Exactly what is so wrong with hunting private land Sproul? Seems similar to the pervasive mindset that thinks there is some guilt in being American. Accept the blessings of your gift and enjoy it to the max. You only go around one time. Take what you can get, I say.

crazedbowhunter 10-06-2007 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Exactly what is so wrong with hunting private land Sproul? Seems similar to the pervasive mindset that thinks there is some guilt in being American. Accept the blessings of your gift and enjoy it to the max. You only go around one time. Take what you can get, I say.

times 2, I hunt on private land, but just never have wrapped my hands and a mainframe 12 like that. I have wrapped my hands around many other bucks from spikes to twelves, just nothing as big as that.

sproulman 10-07-2007 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

i was only commenting on what was said about BEING LUCKY..
i was using 2 examples, my privateland where it is not too LUCKY if i want to get a nice buck..
LUCKY hunting is on stateforestland where itis very difficult to hunt archery with people in woods,big game/small game and lack of 12 point bucks....

that was my only comment, heck, he may have got that 12 point on SFL and not privateland but odds are it was privateland and not very lucky.....

i have friend that just e-mailed me with a 12 point he got first day in hazelton ,pa. area..

he had 4 that were 2 were 8s,1 was 10. 1 was 12..
he lets deer get old on hisland,the 12 point was 5 years old..
now he has 3 more to groom for next year,he is not lucky.for sure..he is predictable...

again,that was a very nice buck,for sure....

early in 10-07-2007 06:40 PM

I only hunted Sat evening but had 5 doe and a real small spike walk 10 yrds behind me. It was neat, but I was after a shooter buck. It's too far back to shoot a doe anyway.:DThis heat has to go!!!!!![:'(][:'(]

sproulman 10-07-2007 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

I only hunted Sat evening but had 5 doe and a real small spike walk 10 yrds behind me. It was neat, but I was after a shooter buck. It's too far back to shoot a doe anyway.:DThis heat has to go!!!!!![:'(][:'(]
good to hear that you are hunting a buck, very good..

yes, heat is awful..
i also saw 2 doe and 3 point sat evening..all walked 15 yds in front of me..
i had 250 pd bear walk by me also,i coyote out of range and trying to kill young fawn deer barking.1 raccoon, 1 possum,2 fox,2 hawks, 12 turkeys,1 rabbit, 6 grouse..

man, what a zoo that was..:D:D:D:D

PAHUNTR27 10-07-2007 08:21 PM

I seen plenty of squirrel and chipmunks...not one deer!!

NY ARCHER 10-08-2007 10:28 AM

Hunted the opener and saw approx. 20 deer. mostly doe but there was 2 bucks. a small 4 pt. and a BIG 10pt. I missed at 30 yards or so. I guessed at 20 yards and it was actual 30 to 35. I shot right under his front left leg and the arrow hit a rock on the floor and went right up into a tree. That sucked !! all i saw was a white tail flying high. I got the arrow back, but the shaft had exploded at the insert. Anyways, I know he's there and know body has hunted there since maybe next saturday will bring me luck.

cliffordPA

sproulman 10-08-2007 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: NY ARCHER

Hunted the opener and saw approx. 20 deer. mostly doe but there was 2 bucks. a small 4 pt. and a BIG 10pt. I missed at 30 yards or so. I guessed at 20 yards and it was actual 30 to 35. I shot right under his front left leg and the arrow hit a rock on the floor and went right up into a tree. That sucked !! all i saw was a white tail flying high. I got the arrow back, but the shaft had exploded at the insert. Anyways, I know he's there and know body has hunted there since maybe next saturday will bring me luck.

cliffordPA
i take string and put a 30 yd mark on it..
i tie it to my stand and pull it tight at 30 yds,then i put a orange ribbon at that spot,i do this in 4 directions..

no way i will not know what yds are..doing this for 50 years.

no shots over 30 or buck walks,and a LOT have walked in 50 years..
fun is missing buck too, think of stories you can now tell..
i feel bad when i kill a big buck anymore but i still enjoy hunting ,so i keep doing it..

i just wish kids today could enjoy it too but a lot cant sit still, get cold and hungry..
we were raised tougher and thats more important today than it wasyears ago when we would see 5 to 10 buck a drive...

PA12pt 10-09-2007 07:17 PM

Hi all, i'm new to the site but got word a picture of my deer was posted on this site (page 3 from Easton_xx75) and thought i'd see what it was.

But yeah i got in my tree around 5:15 the opening day and called my dad so he knew i made it up the treealright. closed my phone and heard some footsteps. about 10 minutes later i saw my Cuddeback flash and saw the outline of a deer keep walking through the moonlight. didn't think much of it. it got to be around 10:30 and i forgot something to eat and drink and to urinate in to for an all day sit (this all occurred 200 yards behind my house). so i got down around 10:30 and grabbed my card out of the cuddeback and went back in the house for a drink and to use the bathroom. i put the card in the sandisk to view it on the t.v. and there he was 5:41 a.m....not much hope, thinking he went nocturnal on me i went back out around 1 p.m. for the evening hunt. it got to be around 2:15 and i heard a sound that sounded like a grunt, i didn't really believe it and just shook it off. again about 5 minutes later i heard it again...so i thought what the heck i have nothing to lose, it's like 80 degrees out and deer movement will be minimal anyway, so i grabbed my grunt call and gave a few calls. i went back to sitting and sweating in my stand and about 5 minutes later out of the corner of my eye here he came. i grabbed my bow off the eazyhanger and he walked in to a shooting lane at 17 yards and i let him have it through the heart. he went about 30 yards and i watched him fall over. and then came the tears and the phone calls because i've been watching him all summer since he first sprouted as an 8 point and i have about 150 trail cam pics of him.

I had him scored by a friend that works for the game commission in the Shippensburg area which is where i go to school and he got a gross score of 179 and a net score of 171 3/8.

PA12pt 10-09-2007 07:29 PM

At the end of November i'll let you all know what the official score is. Hope it doesn't shrink too much

stickler 10-09-2007 08:15 PM

PA12pt,

Have any pics to share?

wayne

PA12pt 10-09-2007 08:28 PM

I'm not totally sure how to do it....but i do have alot of pics to post if i know how....i tried on this one but dont know if it will work

PA12pt 10-09-2007 08:38 PM

i go to the photobucket website and click the add image button and paste the URL from photobucket in the add image prompt and click ok...am i doing it right? because a red X just comes up

stickler 10-09-2007 09:18 PM

I am not too familiar with photobucket. Maybe try just pasting the URL?

Wayne

PA12pt 10-10-2007 09:10 AM

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/PA12pt/?action=view&current=week2930053.jpg

Alright, here's the link to my album on photobucket for my opening day buck (story above)......16" inside spread 18" outside spread......10" G3's......24"inch main beams......5"inches ofcircumfrence from bases to the G4.......Green score: gross 179 net 171 3/8