Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 elk neck state park >

elk neck state park

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

elk neck state park

Old 09-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Default elk neck state park

hey all marylanders. well i planned to hunt elk neck state park on the opener, but have been hearing some adverse things about it in the past few days. has anyone hunted it? successfully? how was the hunting in general? when driving by the other day in the morning i saw about 10 deer just standing in the road, like right where the park starts around those homes. they were just standing there. does anyone have an opinion on this area? if its not a good spot, whats wrong with it? alot of hunting pressure or what? i just cant see what could be so wrong with it. i dont need extremely big deer, but would like some bucks and a variety of does there. i know theres deer in there? what do ya think? thanks alot.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: elk neck state park

Bow season in my opinion is the best time to hunt any place. Less pressure. If you know deer are there then hunt it, at worst you spend a day in the woods.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM

yea there are plenty in the communities but the areas you hunt aren't like that.. you can kill deer but don't expect big things like I did...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

what do you mean by the communities? like around the houses? why wouldnt those bucks venture into the park?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 AM

they don't go into the park much cuz of the huntin pressure and there hardly is no rut cuz the doe buck ratio is like 50:1.. you might see some standing in someones front yard lol
Old 09-07-2007, 01:29 AM

The only area open early in the season is the carter area. That is unless they opened up new areas since last year.Rouges harbor and turkey point areas don't open up for bowhunting till the end of October.There are a lot oF does but every once in awhile some big boys come strolling thru. Like the 13 point I shot there in Nov. of 2005.I have hunted Elk Neck for the last 4 or 5 years.It's a good place to fill the freezer and thats what they want you to do, kill as many deer as you can.