Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 West Virginia Bowhunters >

West Virginia Bowhunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Virginia Bowhunters

Old 08-18-2007, 02:22 AM

Default RE: West Virginia Bowhunters

I live and hunt in Marion county Wv and Love it! We have plenty of deer and plenty of them coyotes. I hunt the inlaws 105 acres which is lucky enough to be nestled between much more woods. We seen some real nice racks last year and expect to be set up on the money this year off the get go. Good Luck to eveyone!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Well we are getting closer and closer to the opener.

Been practicing and am very satisfied with the new site and rest on my Martin Jaguar bow. Had to take my back up bow (Hoyt Raptor) to the shop and have it re-strung. After getting it back did some shooting with it to make sure the peep was located correctly and that it still shot as good as the Martin.

Been getting a lot of pictures off the camera but mainly does and fawns. Do have some black bears showing up...might be keeping the deer away.

What is the mass like around your guys neck of the woods?? Abundant, Spotty, Good or nothing?? I think here in Fayette County it is going to be spotty and with the recent heatwave it might not be that good.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 AM

Looks like the mass is going to be decent this year here on the farm. Can't speak for anyplace else in Marion County. The last few years it has been real good here but this year it seems to be less. I will know more soon as I do some more scouting.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

The mass in Wyoming Co. is spotty this year, but my wife and I have seen some nice deer standing at the sides of the road, i guess this drought has pushed them out closer to the rivers.My guess for this year is to find a good water source to hunt next to...Good Luck To All The Hunters Out There.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I live in Monroe. The acorns here are nearly none what few there are are bad nothing in them. Our yard is full of does everyday only saw 2 bucks one 6 one 8 small racks but over toward Ballard and Bozoo they are seeing a lot of nice bucks in the fields everyday but no hunting allowed. As for the Elkins question I hunted around there for years at Mill Creek and Valley Head was up there last year not much sign at all Two of us there all day and only saw one small 4 point and 2 does. On the question about WMA's in southern WV there is Bluestone WMA I hunt it quite a bit if you know where to go in at and a little about the country there it isnt bad at all. Some nice bucks on up the river away from Hinton. A lot of Bobcats there also. The tops of the mountains are all private land so along the river is fair hunting. Any other help I can be let me know.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Did some more scouting Sat and the acorns have seem to hit pretty good. Better than I had thought before. There are acorns all over the ground and deer sign every place you look around our two stands. they seem to be tearing up the salt that we poured onto some old stumps as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 AM

hey royak, your right the deers are thick out next to ballard this year.
my mom use to live on fitz run rd in monroe co.near ballard it's a great place to hunt
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 AM

Hey guys, just 12 more days till opening morning of the bow season... GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Hope everyone has been practicing and getting good at hitting their mark.

We checked my son's camera yesterday and in a weeks time his card was full. 342 high resolution pictures with the camera actually being tripped over 400 times. He has a nice 7 pointer coming into his stand along with what he calls freaky four...he is a four pointer who's rack is messed up. Oh his left side it appears that he must of damage it during velvet. It hangs down over his eye like it is broke.

My brother in law has a nice 8 pointer and 6 pointer coming into his stand. All I have has been some spikes and does. Of course all of us have does coming in.

Good luck everyone.