Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WoodChucks in Upstate NY >

WoodChucks in Upstate NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WoodChucks in Upstate NY

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Default WoodChucks in Upstate NY

Hi All, I have been hunting big & small game in Upstate NY for the last 15 or so years. Big game...no problem. Small game, specifically Woodchuck, seems to have dried up. All the farms I used to hunt are now void of chuck. None. I would love to say that it is because of my hunting prowess, but I know better. I hunt in Amenia NY, and locals blame fox & yotes. Still seems like a strech to me, as I have never seeneither. Anyone in NY know of anywhereupstate public or private that allows hunting? (I also posted this in the smallgame forum)
Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WoodChucks in Upstate NY

Its Hawks & Coyotes - no doubt.

Also - I think the reduction in cow pastures & hedgerows in farmed fields in my area have reduced the best woodchuck areas. The overall lack of dairy farming in general as well.

Now maybe your area is different - but there were alot more woodchucks when I was young - now it seems I only see them on the road edges, and in rural yards.

Lots more Hawks too - I'd rather see hawks than woodchucks though.

FH
Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Farmers have been removing hedgerows in their updated modernization practices...a major decline in chucks, and rabbits results.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:52 PM

We didn't take out our hedgerows but the Chucks still dissapeared. The only places we find them are under buildings and in rock piles where the coyotes can't dig them out. Coyotes showed up here on the farm in the early 80's and the 'chucks and rabbits dissappeared fast. The rabbits have made a comeback the last couple of years but the 'chucks have not. We don't miss them in the hay fields either!