HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   GPS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/196190-gps.html)

shump 07-02-2007 07:17 AM

GPS

Ok men how many use a gps and what one do you use.I justed ordered a
GarminĀ® GPS 72 any info will be great.I have a Cobra 100 now that i use but sometimes it is hard to hit a satellite with it

newman1 07-02-2007 07:42 AM

RE: GPS

I have a Garmin ETREX which seems to work fine

Prozacaddict 07-02-2007 08:41 AM

I never leave home without one. I reecently got a new GPS which overlays Topo and satelite imagery. I can now see where I am at at any time either on topo of aerial photo instead of a black dot on the screen. There has been times I have been out in the woods and wanted to know where certain landmarks and buildings were realtive to my location, now I can pan and zoom just as I do on the computer at home like terra server or expert GPS. I use to own a Garmin Etrex Legend, but have recently threw it in the trash with this new technology now available. Make sure your GPS comes with WAAS.

hillbillyhunter1 07-02-2007 08:58 AM

I love my etrex. It seems to be the most user friendly of all the gps that I've seen. It is valuable for hunting, out west particularly. If in a new area, I always mark the truck and then know I can always get back. The one mentioned above with topo map etc seems like a good idea too, but I always carry a map and regular compass with me anyway and can find my exact location using those tools.

Although this gps technology is great, I would never rely exclusively on the device itself in a touchy situation. I'd always have to have maps and compass as backup as something electronic can break when you're still miles and miles in the back country. I know my local deer patch well enough that I don't need one there.

Deleted User 07-02-2007 09:06 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

conner_condor 07-02-2007 11:27 PM

Do any of you all do geo caches??

Champlain Islander 07-03-2007 06:44 PM

I have the Garmin Vista loaded with all the topos. Awesome piece of equipment especially when I am hunting the big woods.

shump 07-03-2007 06:45 PM

yes i just got into them they R a blast.

Horizontal Hunter 07-03-2007 07:32 PM

I have a Garmin Etrex which is a basic unit which I have used for quite a while now and I can't imagine hunting without one. It is nice not to have to use flagging tape and/or reflective tacks which tell the world where you hunt. The signal can and does drop out in bad weather and heavy canopy. A GPS is no substitute for a compass and a map. I carry both.

HH

Simp 07-03-2007 08:18 PM

I'm thinkingabout getting one as well and have a question. The particular one that I'm thinking about getting has the capability of being used as a walkie-talkie/radio, GMRS, I believe it is. They say I need a liscence from the FCC to use this feature. What's the deal with this and how much is the liscence?Is the liscense really necessary? Thanks guys, Simp