Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any luck Maryland turkey hunters? >

Any luck Maryland turkey hunters?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any luck Maryland turkey hunters?

Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any luck Maryland turkey hunters?

I have been out gunning for turkey a couple of times so far on some well used public land, haven't even heard a shot yet. Anyone having luck, or is this season starting off slow?

-Rick C.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any luck Maryland turkey hunters?

Two of mybuddies in Southern Marylandhad gobblers nearby today (each hunting a different location altogether). One shot and flopped one, but it got away.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 AM
bigcountry

Spent most of the week in Garrett County. Holy cow, it snowed 10" on backbone mountain night before the opener. Think it really shut down the hunting. First morning, heard some gobbles from the roost, but after that, nothing. I hunted almost 400 acres and nothing all week. First time ever not to see a turkey.

Bet next week might be good.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddies got one this morning, between 22 and 25 pounds, figured to be 3 years old or older.This time they teamed up.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC was right about Garrett county. Up the street, on another piece we hunted, the snow was 14" deep!

The birds stayed tight lipped until the snow melted and it warmed up a bit. My last day was Saturday and that's when they really cranked it up. They gobbled frantically and the hens really went crazy with cutting. It was loud and raucous . . . until flydown. I heard two hens flydown right behind me and the only turkey sounds after that was other hunters calling.

Now that I'm home, they're supposed to have warm temps and perfect weather all this week.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, we couldn't win during deer season and now you can't win with the turkeys and the weather.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

BC & Dave,

I was up in Garrett last week, too. Up on Backbone Mountain around Kempton. I didn't hear a single roost gobble until the last day, but did have a gobbler gobble on his own on the opener. I called him in for my buddy at 40 yards, but my buddy couldn't get a shot. That's the only bird we worked all week.

Slice
Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Havent heard or seen much... Opening day I had two yahoo's walk up on me and start crow calling... I waved my orange flag at them and they just walked down below me and started crow calling again... I let three rounds off and packed it up[:@]

Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

slicendice, we were hunting the same place -- you were probably one of the hunters we heard owl hooting! the weather this past week coupled with many hunters going back to work probably has made for great hunting. I don't know if I'll be able to get back out there this season. It's around 500 miles round trip for me--works out to close to $100 a trip just for gas money. Couple that with the trip I already took out there and a business trip to Dallas for a week coming up and I don't think my wife will want to hear the "excuses."

I do want to hear how everyone else is doing though.

BTW Rick-- you're right about the weather not cooperating during deer season, but the 4 does and 2 bucks I took didn't exactly make it a losing effort! You got a buck too. Didn't want people gettin' the wrong impression!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

DaveH,
I hear you about it being a haul!!! Takes me about 2 1/2 hours one way.Luckily,the Maryland Motel on 50is fairly cheap!!!I'm not sure we were hunting the same property or not.Do you belong toBeechwood?

Slice

Quick Reply: Any luck Maryland turkey hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.