Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WV Hunters...Are You Asleep?? >

WV Hunters...Are You Asleep??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Hunters...Are You Asleep??

Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Default WV Hunters...Are You Asleep??

I don't frequent the site as much as I should but when I do get here I look to see if my fellow WVians are posting.

Don't see anything on here and turkey (spring gobbler) season is just 20 days away!

Has anyone been out? Are the ole birds gobbling in your neck of the woods?

I have been out twice on our club property riding my new ATV and heard a bunch of hens but no gobbles.

My son and I both got new ATV's and we were out one day riding and stopped on top of the ridge. There was still a little snow on the ridge tops and of course it was the end of February so I didn't figure we would hear any gobbles.

For the past few weeks the guys on my forum and been talking about hearing gobblers. I sure hope by the time season opens they are still at it and not winding down.

Come on guys...where are all the WV hunters??

Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WV Hunters...Are You Asleep??

ORIGINAL: WVHunter129

Come on guys...where are all the WV hunters??

...been run out of the woods by ATVs.....
seriously... no time....little desire...less available ground... too many trespassers on what ground is available. the best Gobbler hunting for this hunter was 20 years ago when there were fewer birds,fewer hunters,and tons of acres open to hunt. I use to schedule most of my vacation for hunting seasons...now I schedule none(5 wks a year). I see you're from mid-state... take a drive up here some weekend to the Eastern panhandle...and see you/your kidsfuture... Berkeley Co is now #2 in population, and in reality, we SHOULD be #1 considering the comparable sizes of the two counties(#1 is Kanawa).
Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 AM

REM1100 I know exactly what your talking about. I have been hunting now for about 25 years and have seen a big change in hunting around my part of the state. Almost every piece of land that we hunted on 25 years ago is posted and/or belongs to a club. You either have to hunt public land (which there isn't that much) or become a member...if you can get in at all.

As for ATV's I have had my share of interruptions by ATV while I have been hunting...but it was those non-courteous ATV hunters that ride to hunt. I got mine basically for getting my stand into the woods and setup. I have a buddy ladder stand that I use and that thing is heavy to carry...I know I carried it in last summer and carried it out the end of December.

I like you schedule my time off work around the hunting seasons. Working for the State I accumulate a lot of leave if that is all I use it for...hopefully before I retire (in 12 years) I will have enough leave accumulated that I could take off from October to December...

I am fortunate that I live where I do...we don't have the population explosion like you guys up in he eastern panhandle. But it still is getting harder to find places to hunt and those who are moving in our area are basically non-hunters...they are the new generation...high tech individuals that don't like to get their hands dirty or bloody.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVHunter129

I am fortunate that I live where I do...we don't have the population explosion like you guys up in he eastern panhandle. But it still is getting harder to find places to hunt and those who are moving in our area are basically non-hunters...they are the new generation...high tech individuals that don't like to get their hands dirty or bloody.
agreed,Bro !! i feel for the young 'uns today...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

checkin in here Juddie. I been workin my butt of here during tax season but am about ready to break loose. Last year was a strange season for me. Hunted three places here in eastern panhandlelast year and the only place I heard good gobbling was on public land--good turkey land it is. Even the birds there shut up about 1/2 hour to 1 hour after sun up. Did most of the good calling from the roost. Two good places I hunt in Hardy County, I never even heard a peep....unbelieveable. Had one come in silent that spotted me first...overall though, the calling I heard was bad even though there were turkeys around...still had fun though.

I think WV brings the season in too late anymore. Although I think the season hasn't changed in the last umpteen years, it seems the birds are active earlier---must be the global warming[8D]. I'm hopin this cool weather we have now hangs on as long as possible, maybe that will help. good huntin'. There's lot of turkeys around that's for sure.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I'm at it is 99.9% wooded, andthere aren't many birds. Three, then two years ago, we were hearing more and more, but then after the spring '05 season, I haven't seen or heard a single one.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard somewhere that the proliferation of coyotes also has something to do with suppressing the overall gobbling....seems to make sense. Like I said, I knew there were lots of turkeys last spring and this past fall although little calling.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SpringTurkReg.shtm

interesting reading....as to setting regs,etc
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Rem1100

http://wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SpringTurkReg.shtm

interesting reading....as to setting regs,etc
Thanks for posting the information.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 AM

I never really post under this section, because there never seems to be much activity from WV.

Quick Reply: WV Hunters...Are You Asleep??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.